Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
a curious repair story

3 continental engines followed me home from an auction, each was covered in grease and barn fresh.I hoped to make 2 motors out of three, but I think I'm down to one.
Two of the blocks have had patch repairs to them. One appears to have had a connecting rod thru the sidewall as there is a 6"square plate bolted to the side of the block.
The other has a patch up near the top where it was split open from frost. In this situation a steel cover plate was screwed in place with a thick piece of gasket paper.

We're repairs like this common?
Do any of you guys have motors on the road sporting such battle wounds??

brent

Re: a curious repair story

Back in those days, parts were expensive, pay scale was low, and labor was cheap.
In the last many years of working with ancient cars, tractors, and old farm engines, I have seen repairs that were a "make do" and others that were a work of art.
These were the times when products were made to last and be easily repaired by any person of average intelligence.
It would be interesting to build the engine with the con rod patch as it would be a unique talking point at gatherings.
Could we see a pic?

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1923 Star touring, 1927 Star Coupe

hello,
i am reminded by your inquiry of the durant engine on ebay now. i thought the patches with 6 bolts were patches of cracks. i learned at the auburn hotel meet that they were actually core covers...they did not use core plugs like we do today. are they like the ones on the sides of the durant on ebay???? take a look....just a thought ....gary k

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1929 MODEL 70 COUPE & 1930 6-14 SEDAN

don how do you post pictures to this site??
brent

Go to photobucket.com . It is free to use and has an easy sign up. Follow the road signs to upload your pics to photobucket and how to include the http link to your pics from photobucket to the Durant Forum.
When you compose your message for the forum, select "preview post" to see if everything worked and, if so, click "Post message".

Don

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1923 Star touring, 1927 Star Coupe

The Durant Motors Automobile Club