Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Heat Gauge

Anyone know how the gauge works ? Mine is cut behind the dash and a mickey mouse jobber hanging from the dash instead. I assume its a hollow tube to the block with mercury inside but perhaps not. Seems too thin to be a hollow tube to the gauge. Wondered if the jobber line could be cut and somehow attached to the orig gauge or will have to find a complete unit.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1932 614 Sedan

Re: Heat Gauge

My 30 6-14 and 29 63 has an electrical guage with a sending unit.

Dave

Interesting. Can't make head nor tail of the 1935 parts catalogue. Says Model 63, 66, 70 part 27125 Heat Indicator, on dash $1.95 Gasket 27120 no charge and 27126 Heat Indicator Element on cylinder head $1.90.
Model 65, 75 same idea
Model 406, 407, 416, 614, 615, 616 and 617 on dash $2.75 and cyl head $$1.90.
Model 633 and 685 Indicator on dash only $5.95.
Makes it sound like the thing is two parts on the 614. Sure looks all one. Not sure our Dominion 1931 / 32 614's have same gauges as US or 619 which is US only. Dash on the 31 / 32 mirrors the Frontenac except for colour.

Norm:
Our Frontenac has the type with the small tube going to a thermostat in the head. I have seen 614's with an electrical type with a sending unit in the head. If you can get an electrical type, and a compatible sending unit, this would be the way to go. Original units of either type are scarcer than hens dentures.
Gord

Do You own a car built by Durant? Frontenac 1932

Hi Gord
Yes I gather the early 614's have the electric units. I have an orig early 1930 614 owners manual and it mentions electic. Our Frontenac / Durant's have what you discribe. As I mentioned some bright bulb cut the tube just behind the dash so I have about 1/2 inch of tube sticking straight out. They then put a CTC thingy with miles of tube and bolted this to the bottom of the dash. Bit by bit we'll get Dorothy back to her original condition, whatever that was, ha ha. No two Frontenac / Durants the same.

The Durant Motors Automobile Club