Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Need a distributor for a 1924 Star

Hello,

What a great group you folks have!! My father in law and I are working on a Continental 4 cyl engine from a Durant Star that was converted to marine use probably back in the 40's. The motor is S/N 145392 with a casting date on the head of 8-23-23. I believe it is what you all call a W-4 engine. The engine spins, but is really grungy.

At bare minimum I need a distributor housing. It is an Autolite distributor. I also need the drive gear housing on the end of the generator it mates too. Both pieces got smashed years ago and I don't have all the broken bits. About 1/3 to 1/2 of the dist housing is missing. I can find Autolite on the distributor, but no P/N. The dist. drive gear is bronze with 12 helical teeth. Alternatively, if you could point me toward something that could be adapted that would be great. I was wondering if any later model industrial/tractor engines used similar distributors. We just want to get it running, it doesn't need to be pretty. I will also need cap, rotor, points, cond, plugs & wires.

P/N's I know from the distributor:
Rotor: Autolite 1G-58

The Generator is also an Autolite 6V unit P/N: GH 1012

HELP!

Thanks in advance,

Cam Bennett

Do You own a car built by Durant? (no, just an engine so far)

Re: Need a distributor for a 1924 Star

Cam,
The distributor you are trying to locate is as rare as chickens teeth, especially if you want a usable one. I intend to use one from a 28 or a 29 Durant W5.
A Wisconsin VH4 might be used as well as a 20's Chevrolet.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1923 Star touring, 1927 Star Coupe

Not sure if this is your solution but I think it's worth a shot in the dark. Foley Marine & Industrial Engines Inc. are rebuilders of Continental engines for the afore mentioned uses and just might be able to help you, either with the part or a part number. you can phone them @ 1-800-23-foley or visit their web site @ www.Foley Engines .com They are located in Worcester Ma. Hope this works out for you. and Good Luck

While I haven't reached the point of getting anything running, I have done a lot of looking around to see what fits. A Chev 490 dist. does look like a possibility. If you use the Chev shaft then you'll have to shorten it. I have a six-cyl Star or Durant dist. body that seems to fit and I think that the four cyl. dist shaft might swap. A Lucas distributor from a Land Rover looks like a fit but it turns the wrong way. I don't see why that would be a problem, though as long as the advance mechanism was removed or tied-down. I believe that dimensiionally this dist would be about the same as MG, Triumph, and so on. And somebody once said something about VW distributors.
The problem with the original Star (autolite) units was that they were cast out of some unstable metal-like crud. Over time they seem to self-destruct. That and the fact that they stick out and so when the engine is out of the car and on the ground or floor it is easy for them to be in harms way if the engine rolls on its side or whatever. But don't toss them in the trash without first salvaging the shaft and or gears.
Get some critical measurements and get a hold of an old Delco-Remy, or Autolite application book. Your measurements will tell you what to look for and the books will tell you what you have once you find it. Distributors are cheap and plentiful at swap meets (but not Star ones) and the books are found in the stacks of greasy-grubby literature that you see everywhere at meets. Good Luck, Hal

Do You own a car built by Durant? ha - just a pile of parts

Hello, the distributor of jeep willys MB, adapts perfect, but he must shorten the axis.
Sorry for my english

Do You own a car built by Durant? Rugby

Forget to tell him that I manufacture the support of distributor, if wants I send him photos.

Do You own a car built by Durant? Rugby

The Durant Motors Automobile Club