Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Adjusting the brakes on my 1925 Star touring

I'm having trouble adjusting the brakes on my Star. The front brakes have a cam adjustment to position the dual shoes and the linkage leading to them has a threaded yoke to lenghten or shorten the linkage. This I understand.

None of the linkages on the rear brakes have threaded yokes. Instead, the linkage is connected to a lever at the wheel about 8 inches long. Let's call this the "linkage lever" It shares a pivot with a second lever that rotates the shoes against the drum. Let's call this the "shoe lever". The "free end" of the shoe lever is bolted to a slot about halfway down the linkage lever. It seems that both the linkage and shoe adjustments are made by sliding the shoe lever back and forth in this slot.

However, there are also two compression fittings around the shaft that rotates the shoes. One secures the fixed end of the shoe lever. It may simply hold the levers on the shaft. However,I don't know what the other compression fitting does. It is part of the bracket that is riveted to the backing plate.

So here's my problem. I released the front linkages. Then I slid the rear shoe lever forward relative to the linkage lever on each wheel. I adjusted these in the slots until the rear brakes both grabbed at the same time. I then reattached the front linkages and started adjusting. Unfortunately, I ran out of room in the threaded yokes before the front brakes grabbed. I then readjusted the front shoes via the cam adjustment but I still couldn't shorten the linkages enough to get the brakes to grab.

So, is there another adjustment? Or am I doing something wrong?

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1925 Star Touring

Re: Adjusting the brakes on my 1925 Star touring

Vince, I know your problem, but I havn't figured it out yet. I just have a rolling chassis so far so it hasn't been 1st priority. I will be watching your article with interest. The only thing I have thought so far is that the front wheels are not designed to lock up ? Glenn

Do You own a car built by Durant? 25 Star Touring

Another thot, anyone have a service manual for a 25 Star with 4 wheel brakes ? Glenn

I have a service manual for Durant and Star Cars – Four Cylinder for models C, CC, F, M, M2 and M4 It takes about 4 pages to describe the process. From what I read all four brakes need to be adjusted so they work together, This seems to be a process that with direction would be very difficult. I could send you a copy, or maybe Fax you the info. Maybe we need a place where complete manuals could be copied and made available to us all.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 25 Star 2dr Sedan Model F

Eliot,
I'd appreciate getting copies of the pages from your manual. Mine just has one page on brakes and isn't very helpful. My FAX is 415-461-7724. I'll turn it on after 7 PDT pm tonight. My e-mail is vob_high@comcast.net. Thanks.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1925 Star

Re: Adjusting the brakes on my 1925 Star Touring

I will be doing a break job on my 1925 Star Touring soon and I am very interested in any information available. If there is some way to put this information on line it would be great. In the mean time I would be willing to pay for a copy of the service manual information.
Good Luck and Thanks
Chuck Faulkner

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1925 Star Model F Touring

Woops!! I should have incuved my e-mail address! It is cfaulknerdesigner@yahoo.com.
Sorry
Chuck

Hey Guys.....

Did you look at all the brake specifications and adjustments under the Tech pages. A lot of info is there already.

Hope this helps....Frank ---

Do You own a car built by Durant? 13 Durant & Stars and a Durant-Dort buggy

I'm going to really sohw my ignorance, but I'm not sure which of the info in the tech section is for a '25 Star. It would help if there was some way to identify which cars the info was for to help us that aren't as experienced with these older cars. I know that none of them match my rear brake. The back brakes have shoes on the outside of the drum. I assume there are shoes on the inside as well. I haven't tried to take them apart yet to know for sure. I've done alot of hydrolic brakes but never any mechanical, so it's all new to me.
Thanks
Chuck

Frank,
I've read the tech pages multiple times. That's how I figured out the cam adjustment on my front brakes. However, nothing in the tech pages matches my rear brakes.

Frank, Vince is correct, there is no info on the 25 4 wheel brakes in the tech pages. If anyone has some, that would be the place to post it. I think that the 25 4 wheel brakes are peculiar to 25 only, maybe overlaping into 26 early cars.Vince if you find the answer please email me @ glennguild@netzero.net.
Thanks much Glenn

Vince,
We are in the process of moving. It will be Monday before I will be able to fax the info. Sorry for the delay. Eliot

Franz showed me how to adjust the rear brakes at the Auburn meeting and I've figured out how to do the fronts and the linkage. I'm writing up a "how to" article and will have it posted in the tech section once I've test driven mine.

If you're in a hurry, let me know and I'll send you a draft.

Hi Vince.....

Isn't that you and Franz under my car in the picture at the top of the forum??

Thanks for the road service call !!!

Frank ---

Do You own a car built by Durant? 13 Durant & Star cars & a Durant Dort Buggy

The Durant Motors Automobile Club