Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
protecting new wood in the coupe

hey men,
does anyone have any ideas about whether it makes sense or is necesary to paint the coupe's new wood with wood preserver or urethane or some sort of protective coating? and if so....what to use?
see you in auburn, regards , gary k

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1929 MODEL 70 COUPE & 1930 6-14 SEDAN

Re: protecting new wood in the coupe

Gary,

I spoke to a cabinet maker and he stronly suggested a boat epoxy. The product is called West System.
I found a few websites by Google.
http://www.westsystem.com/webpages/userinfo/manual/
here is one with instructions for use. He said you can use it to seal as well as glue two pieces together, especially curved multiple piece sections. The wood would fail before the epoxy would give out. Good stuff

Do You own a car built by Durant? yes 1929 4 door model 6-63

THANX...SOUNDS LIKE GOOD ADVICE...I WILL SEARCH IT OUT AND GIVE IT A TRY....GARY

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1929 MODEL 70 COUPE & 1930 6-14 SEDAN

Hi All....

One of the items for "show & tell" at Auburn is a completely new main body sill wood work for a Flint. Done by "Mr. Flint" aka Jim G.

We will also have the old wood and you can see the process that Jim used to recreate this important piece.

It is amazing how much larger the Flint pieces are when compared to the Durant or Star. But the same processs can be used on any of our cars.

See Y'all in Auburn---Tomorrow!! Frank ---

Do You own a car built by Durant? 13 Durant & Star cars & a Durant Dort Buggy

The Durant Motors Automobile Club