Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Need Help,,,,,Will it Fit???

Roy Contarino, over in Sicily, is needing a rear axle gear set for a Durant 666. It has a 10 tooth pinion with a 38 tooth ring.
All I have is Star parts which uses an 8 tooth pinion with a 38 tooth ring.
Will the Star pinion and ring gear/carrier assy fit in the 666 axle housing?
I don't want to ship the Star parts if they won't fit. If they will not fit, does anyone have the proper parts?

Thanks,
Don

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1923 Star touring, 1927 Star Coupe

Re: Need Help,,,,,Will it Fit???

I just want to make a correction on the number of teeth on my Ring Gear. It has 39 teeth, not 38. Also the Star Ring Gear Don has is also a 39 tooth ring gear. Don must have typed an 8 instead of a 9 by mistake. The real problem is with the Pinion. My car has a 10 tooth Pinion. Will an 8 tooth Pinion work if I cant find a 10 tooth Pinion? Thanks

Roy

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1929 Durant 666 Deluxe

Hi Roy.
Yes, yes, yes all our carriage assemblies in the Star and Durant line are interchangeable into each other’s housing and yes you can run any combination ring and pinion. There may be some howling on mixed sets but no big deal. Actually an 8 tooth pinion is better as it will keep the motor RPM’s down for driving. Be sure a get the lash fairly close between the ring and pinion gear or you will break a tooth off. Also all the axles are interchangeable and no difference between the left or right side. Just remember no gasket between the split rear end housing as that is a machined surface and relies on being tight so as the spacing for the roller bearings on each side of the carrier will fit properly. I am running a 26 Star carrier in my 29 Durant model 6-66 for the last 4 years and many many miles every year up and down our freeways here in hot San Diego.
Good luck.
Lance Haynes San Diego

Where Are You From? www.lancedurant.com

Do You own a car built by Durant? a whole bunch of them.

My D 66 is running a 4.4 ratio whereas the specification reads 3.9; I have been searching for replacement crown wheel & pinion for some time but to no avail. A friend recently had a 1933 Chrysler diff machined in Sydney to adapt a landrover 3.5 set and I am going to take a spare diff housing and old unusable crown wheel & pinion to this machine shop to ascertain if a similiar solution is possible. Otherwise a new crown wheel & pinion can be made up in Melbourne for around Au$3000. This would be comparable to the US $ price I think Don Shilling advised in the forum some months back in response to my earlier quest.

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yes, 1929 D 66 (6 66)

Great! I'll get the parts ready to ship. Anybody bring any 600W to Auburn? I need one gallon for Roy.

Hi Don.....

I have a couple cases of 600 Wt. on the trailer for Auburn.......Frank ---

Do You own a car built by Durant? 13 Durant & Stars and a Durant-Dort buggy

Great, I'll take a gallon's worth!

The Durant Motors Automobile Club