Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Model and serial number

Hi, I am looking at purchasing a Star Car Model R. Car number T-1913. I am looking for any information on the car. Thank, Brian.

Do You own a car built by Durant? Looking to purchase

Re: Model and serial number

Well, the serial number says it was made in Leaside in early 1923. However, the "R" model wasn't made until 1926. What other clues can you provide?

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1923 Star touring, 1927 Star Coupe

Thanks for the reply. Here is the address to see some pics of the car, maybe they will help. Thanks again, Brian.

http://www.briansengines.zoomshare.com/1.shtml/durnat

If at first you don't succeed, read the directions!!!
So,,,, I look at the serial number list again and see that "R" series started with serial number 1000 in 1926. All I saw previously was the serial number 1 starting in 1923.

Therefore, you have a 1926 Star model R built in Leaside. It looks like a lot of work but still very restorable. I don't know what kind of price you are dealing with but I think you should try to buy it. "R" coupes are not that common. Is it a standard coupe or sport coupe (rumble seat)?

I'm not sure if it is standard or not, I am waiting on some more pics. The asking price is $2500.00 Cdn. I'm not sure how firm he is on that. When I get some more pics, I will add them. Any thoughts on the asking price? Thanks, Brian.

The price is not out of line if the car is mostly complete. It's hard to say without a close inspection. Condition of metal, components, and fittings have to be considered as well as degree of wear on the engine, rear end, transmission, suspension, and wheels.
I'm sure the woodwork is not in the best of condition but hopefully there will be enough for patterns at least.
Of course, try to spend as little as possible in buying it because there will be plenty of opportunities to spend your money on restoration!!

My guideline is to decide if I can break even by parting it out.

Thanks for the insight! I will let you know what happens. Thanks, Brian.

I posted some updated pics of the car on the website that I used in the previous post. I do have some concerns regarding the rear passenger side of the cab and passenger door area. The car was running when parked but the engine has since stuck. I would like any thoughts form experienced collectors, as this may be my first vehicle project. I am not worried about the mechanical end of the project but do lack experience in body work department. Any comments appreciated. Thanks, Brian.

Looking at your latest pics, I would value the project at $800.00 to $1200.00 US, and if it were closer to me.
If this would be your first restoration project I can see where it could become a daunting challenge. However, nothing is impossible with time and patience. Is there anyone close by than can assist you or any local clubs?
I don't want to scare you away from this because I don't know your abilities or capabilities.
I would advise, GO FOR IT!, join the Durant Group if you are not already a member, and keep in touch on the forum. There are a lot of knowledgeable people out here with some good ideas.

There are several car fellows that live in the same town that I am in and would be more than willing to help me out. My other hobby is collecting and restoring stationary gas engines. I agree with you on the price, I am going contact the owner and see how much room there is to move. Thanks again for the advise. Brian.

Don, it sure is a small world! The car I am looking at is the same one the seller, Joel, posted an inquiry about on April 30.

I took the plunge!! Today I brought home the car. It is really quite complete but the pictures are deceiving. The wood on the passenger side is almost non existent. The driver side is just the opposite, it is all there including the original upholstery. It turns out the engine is not stuck and the passenger headlight was in the trunk! Now just where to start!! Thanks to Don for the information and advise. Brian.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1926 Model R Coupe

Congrats! Just goes to show how easy it is to become infected with RUSTITUS!
Remember, don't get in a hurry, take lots of pictures, and contact Frank Witkowski for a parts manual and service manual covering your car.

Brian: Cogratulations. Might I make some suggestions on your restoration. Your first step after you take a ton of pictures is to remove the fenders and hood. next take every measurement you can think of regarding the body. Go side to side, top to bottem and then diagnals. Next make up some bracing either out of wood or thin wall tubing and make sure the body is squared up. make that body as solid as a rock before you do anthing with it. Run sheet metal screws through the sheet metal into the bracing. You can always weld them up and you are going to be doing a lot sheet metal work but you must make the body square. Once you have completed that you can remove the body. Hope this helps.
Jan

Jan, that is the type of stuff that I need!! This is my first car restoration and I am as green as they come! I have done some fairly in depth stationary engine projects but that is a totally different ball game, the is none of this silly wood on them! I was also wondering if there was a "newer" application for the Continental 6 that is in my car. Did the continental 6 get used in other products like cars into the 1950's or something? Thanks, Brian.

Brian:

I'm in about the same boat you are in. I also have a 1926 Star I purchased about a year ago for $300. Body beyond repair on mine so am using old for patterns. This is also my first restoration of this size. Also am old engine nut. Getting ready for my first babbitt pour for my Hercules 1-1/2 hit miss. The Durant is on blocks in my shop so even when I cant work on it I just enjoy having it there. That is worth alot to me in itself. Some car guys are pretty strict as far as having everything just right but knowing that I rescued my car from almost certain doom means that even if something isn't the exact part I can upgrade later. Anyway, just wanted to encourage you to just have fun with the old girl! Fred

Do You own a car built by Durant? yes

Thanks Fred. I know what you mean by just having the engines/car around. I've had more neighbors and visitors in the garage since I have started collecting than ever before. I find telling the story behind a project just as much fun as firing something up!

Brian & Fred
You are not alone in your thoughts. These old pieces of fine machinery become more than just old transportation objects. Each and everyone of them usually have a story to go with them, and they can bring fond memories of Dad or Granddad, a ride in the country when the back seat of one of these looked like a living room couch. When traveling to your grandparents house took all day and they lived in the next town. For those that are younger it's a way to look at a time when life was simple, less complicated, and when the automobile industry was full of experimentation. When a thing like moving a gas gauge or temperature gauge inside was a really big deal and a great idea. When each model year brought new and wonderful changes in the cars. Ask any Durantonian and he or she will tell you that they have a love for that piece of steel and many will never part with them during their life time. To be able to save one of these from extinction is something to be very very proud of for sure. One way you can tell how special their car is, is to ask any owner does he give his car a nickname? I bet many do, like a dear friend.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1928 Model 65 4dr

Well my old Durant up on blocks in my shop is like an old friend for sure. Unfortunately, there just isnt much interest from other people that come by. In fact, most friends think Im a little off my nut to even waste my time and money with all this junk. Most would rather talk about football or what else is on tv. My wife was raised Amish in Ohio and we do on occasion have Amish visitors out here in Oregon. None of them have tv or talk football. I find it very refreshing and most of them really do show interest in my old stuff. Well, just blowing off steam but it sure seems this push button society we live in seems to be taking alot away from us. Fred

Do You own a car built by Durant? yes

The Durant Motors Automobile Club