Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Transmission oil

OK, it's probably in here someplace---

I got my transmission changed in my 31 model 619. But I cannot seem to find what weight oil to fill it with. I've have seen a couple different references that are very different. So does anybody know for sure? 30, 90 or 600? It's a 3 speed behind a 6 Continental 22A.

Wayne Farrand

Do You own a car built by Durant? yes

Re: Transmission oil

Hi Wayne.....

I have always used the 600W in mine. Some of the local Model A Ford guys say using 90 wt plus a can of STP works well in the Fords......

See Y'all in Auburn......Frank ---

Do You own a car built by Durant? 13 Durant & Star cars & a Durant Dort Buggy

Wayne,

600w is the way to go. I've been happy with the oils from Restoration Supply Company. They stock a wide range of oils made just for our cars.

http://www.restorationstuff.com

15182-B Highland Valley Rd.
Escondido, CA 92025
(800) 306-7008
info@restorationstuff.com

Rick

Where Are You From? www.restorationstuff.com

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1929 Model 60 Roadster

My local jobber got real interested and checked around - his contacts say that the 600 steam cylinder oil is formulated - has 4% tallow. They have one 5 gallon can here in Des Moines. Is that the stuff?
Anybody need some in Auburn? It's only used in steering boxes, transmissions and rear ends, so 5 gal would last me a long time.
Wayne

Also used in the fan can. That must be why mine's always empty
Wayne

Yes, the real steam cylinder oil is think stuff, I bought a 5 gallon can of the stuff ten years and shared half of it with others and I'm still using it. It's really perfect in steering boxes, because it's thick enough not to leak, but flows enough to lubricate well. The are several different types out there, some are better than others for the transmission, the ones I tired were too heavy until heated up to shift well, but the steering box, and rear end were perfect. The fan hub too.

Rick

Where Are You From? www.restorationstuff.com

Hi All.....

I have the 600 wt oil in quart bottles. Will have it at Aburn also.....

See Y'all in Auburn....Frank ---

Do You own a car built by Durant? 13 Durant & Stars and a Durant-Dort buggy

I'll have to get the 5 gal here or order some - I need to try out my new tranny. I hear the 600 makes it shift smooth.
Wayne

Just a few thoughts taken from http://www.capitolcitya.org/articles/technical.html 600W Oil

600W Oil was used in Model A transmissions, differentials and steering boxes when they were first manufactured. No doubt that in their early years the proper lubrication was used. As they grew older and limited availability of 600W became prevalent "just any ole oil will do" was the rule of thumb. As time went by the owners paid little attention to the puddles of grease that became a "standard" for the Model A. If it wasn't leaking it must be empty. Or, if it ain't leaking something is stopped up!

As the cars became objects of restoration, investigating the lubricating products revealed that the wrong grade of oil was being used. In some cases the steering boxes were lubricated with chassis grease and this was a death sentence. The transmission and differential was filled with readily available 90 wt (Hypoid 90). That was because more modern cars and trucks used it. If it's new it must be better!!!!???? The end result for the Model A was that the oil leaked out of the transmission. Differentials were not quite as bad but they would also leak.

600W was manufactured and distributed by suppliers for Model A's for a number of years. Then the product changed. More recently the oil marketed as 600W is nowhere near the original viscosity. While we are here, 600W is not the viscosity characteristic of the oil. It is the name Ford gave it. It could have been called Micro Lube or some other exotic name. The viscosity was approximately 240wt.

Suppliers today offer oil that is called 600W. However, it doesn't come close to 240wt oil. So, the Model A enthusiast is faced with the problem of finding the correct lubricant. Here is what I found while searching the restoration archives.

Combining the 600W oil sold by suppliers with STP motor oil additive on a 50/50 basis can produce a reasonable substitute for 600W oil. Another method is to mix 2 quarts of 140wt oil to 1 tub of heavy duty wheel bearing grease and one can of STP motor oil treatment.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 25 Star

You can go to your John Deere tractor dealer and buy some worm gear oil in small containers. Some of the steam guys use it in place of 600W. And while you are there, check out their corn-header grease. I used it in the steering gear of an antique tractor. Of course, I will ever know if it works properly, since it isn't used more than a couple hours a year.

Outstanding Elliot! This info needs to go in the Tech page and the club magazine. Any ways, I'm going to print it out and put in my files.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1923 Star touring, 1927 Star Coupe

We have some additional information on the tech page under the Lubrication section.

Here is the direct link

http://clubs.hemmings.com/clubsites/durant/Tech/600wt.html

Rick

Where Are You From? www.txtransportationmuseum.org/DURANT2007.htm

for an explanation of "steam oils" and related info....go to

http://www.southernsteamtrains.com/misc/steam-oil-hwade.htm

it tells the whole story of what it is and where to get it and substitutions to make and not make....gary

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1929 MODEL 70 COUPE & 1930 6-14 SEDAN

The Durant Motors Automobile Club