Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Monroe knee action shocks

Has anyone got a picture of this shock mounted that they could post-or send me -- both front and rear. I cant see how they connect to the suspension.
Maybe I am missing a part with the connecting pins on it ? Anything would help--A pic -or a sketch - whatever.
Thanks
Ken

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1930Durant model6 14 deluxe rumble seat coupe

Re: Monroe knee action shocks

Ken, on the front you need a little draglink affair that goes from the shock arm to an arm that comes off the front of the spring u-bolts. I'll send you a picture if I can find one.

RonJ

Thanks Ron
At this point anything will help.I am hunting thru all my piles of pieces here hoping to come up with something that will fit .So far unsuccessfully.l will likely have to have a good buddy (machinist) build one for me. Thanks for the info.

Ken

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1930Durant model 6 14 deluxe rumble seat coupe

Hi Ken.
I have the proper stock Durant links and rebuilt Durant/ Monroe shocks in stock all painted jet black ready to install. How many do you need?
Faithfully Lance Haynes
San Diego

Where Are You From? www.lancedurant.com

Do You own a car built by Durant? a whole bunch of them.

Lance
I guess I really should get all 4 of them But I could probably get by with 2. I have enough parts to build two. What I need to go with them is the mounting plate to attach them to the axles. What kind of dollars am I looking at for these shocks and 4 brackets?
Ken

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1930Durant model 6 14 deluxe rumble seat coupe

Hi Ken. .
The bad part is I have paid a company up in Washington state $100.00 each to rebuild them. mnnnnnnnnn
But I want them back on one of our Durant cars. I would sell you the whole package (all four corners)for $250.00 plus shipping. It seems the old people took the links off for some reason and just threw them away or at least lost them. If I can't come up with enough of the leaf spring flat bottom plates I'll make some for you.
Lance

Where Are You From? www.lancedurant.com

Do You own a car built by Durant? a whole bunch of them.

Lance
Hold off for a bit. I am going to visit my machinist buddy in the very near future. I will let you know what goes on after that -- Thanks for the input. I know where I can get them now .
Ken

At least you have some of it Ken. Someone cut the arms in half and the ball off the axle plates on mine. Then welded a supporting plate to the frame and installed tube shocks at almost 40 degee's. Looks like the car was made to do corners or something. My shock arms are different to the the 1930 I used to have in the 60's. Same as Levi's pic on the 30 but the 32's arms come off like a Ford A style. Gord Curl mentioned a while back Frontenac / Durant's can have an assortment of shocks and all different for the same yr and model. Typical Dominion Motors / Durant Motors assembled cars.
Norm

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1932 614 Sedan

It sure is amazing what you find when you work on old cars.Seems like the old timers just put whatever they could find on the cars and made it work--My dad was a guy that could make ford parts work on chevs --and also the other way around . Wish I was as talented--I am having plates made with the ball on them for my car
Ken

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1930 Durant Deluxe Rumble Seat Coupe

Yep but my shocks are Monroe but with removable arms. Guess I need to find arms / links and the plates.
I put Ford A wheels / bearings on 28 / 29 Chevy wood wheel spindles and they fit no problem. Never know what parts are interchangable, ha ha.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1932 614 Sedan

The Durant Motors Automobile Club