Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
1 2
Author
Comment
Re: Win A Dusenberg at Auburn

it is 0256 GMT on 090507

The CSI team is tired and we have decided to rest for the evening.

We await another clue, or the confirmation that our previous SWAG's are correct.

Charlie and the CSI team at work...well for now at rest

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yes 1929, 1930, and 1931

Hi All..........

Got you stumped eh !!!!!

All good gusses so far.

Your going to have to have a meeting of the minds on this one.

This person has never owned a Star, but may have ridden in one.

One of this persons cars is "extremely rare" opps...., thought I was writing an ebay ad.

Now don't get froggy on me and start jumping around, there is a method to my madness. You just have to think like I do.

When will this stop be solved ??? No 8 minute solution on this one !!!!

Hang on tight, enjoy the road trip and have FUN......

See Y'all in Auburn.... Frank ---

Do You own a car built by Durant? 13 Durant & Stars and a Durant-Dort buggy

Frank

thanks for acknowledging that we are not on the same train track as you are.

But we were thinking just like you for the first three stops....they were figured out by either Dave or Team CSI in short order.

We will keep trying to figure this one out.

charlie and Team CSI

OK, I'll take a shot.
Gary Kauffman in PA

Wayne

Do You own a car built by Durant? yes

Wayne

that is as good of a guess as we have advanced.

either Frank's clues are clues in his mind only, or we are just not putting the pieces of the puzzle together correctly.

On the previous stops, my team of investigators had the general geography pretty quickly, then all I needed to do was find the person that lived in that area....for an old guy like me...that took a bit of time.

But this one has us baffled.......

While Kaufman is a good guess......i am trying to figure out how he fits into the line of Haynes Curl Milton.......

Team CSI is back in the lab sorting out the clues...waiting for my chief investigator to get home from teaching school with her two children.....later

charlie

OK Let's try thinking "outside the box". And, this could get a little wild
I doubt if Henry Ford ever owned a Star but he might have gotten drunk enough to ride in one,,,,,,,
I'm sure also that he had several "Rare" early cars.

Dearborn???

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1923 Star touring, 1927 Star Coupe

Don

The Dussy is in a box....we have been trying to think outside of that box for that last few days.

Right now, the CSI team is hard at work on computer terminals trying every thing that we can to figure this one out.

Frank....more clues, or a clue that is not so circuitous.

Frank: If Team CSI solves the fourth leg do we automatically with the Dussey since we solved 75% of the stops?

Charlie and the crew

I'm going to agree with Wayne on this one. Gary has had several Durants but no Stars. His Model 70 coupe would qualify as rare, and his email address is froggysrod......( I hope that is as in street rod!). I think Wayne gets the plaque this time.

Dave

I have no idea if Gary smokes cigars. Frank used the "froggy" so it had to be the clue. I looked thru the 2006 membership list and found froggysrod email handle. The roster says Gary was founder of Durant Star Owners Club, forerunner DFR, DMAC. I figured that was important enough to get his signature on the Dussey.

Wayne

Frank says "meeting" of the minds, and "orphan" auto - -
I convinced myself it has to be Gary in Plymouth Meeting, Pennsylvania
What was Billy D's connection to PA? but I bet he has one.
Wayne

IF you are on the right track, the connection to PA could be Jim Dollinger, "The Buickman" the top salesman for Durant graduated from Bucknell in PA.

Again, I am just in the guessing game -- it gives me someother outlet away from the 15 4 yr olds I teach.

Happy searching

CSI - jr. Spitz

Could the PA connection be Jim Dollinger, "The Buickman" Durants top sales person.

CSI

Hi All...

We sure are on a roll with Miss Dussy !!!

You asked for a few more "clues"

You may have to go back, way back to the begining. Look at some of the original posts.

Two of my cars have a connection here. Think about that 1960's classic movie Bonnie & Clyde.

And who says Durantonians don't have a life, we have almost 1000 hits on Miss Dussy....

Have fun enjoy the ride & See Y'all in Auburn very soon.......Frank ---

OK Frank....if there is a correct answer on the board...let us know so that we can get some sleep.....Team CSI has been working OT on this....

I guess we did better than top major league hitters we got 2 out of 4 that's .500

It was fun playing... see you in Auburn after we spend some time in Alaska.

Charlie Peg and Team CSI

Frank

The CSI Team had a meeting today, and we think that you are trying to throw us off the track.

We think that the next stop is at the home of Frank Witkowski in Hookstown, PA.

While Peg and I will be in an airplane most of Saturday 9/8, the chief investigator will be continuing the research and posting any guesses the next few days.

There have been some very good guesses, and we are digging deep to find the corret answer.

Charlie and Team CSI

In Frank's post on 8-22-07 at 11:32 a.m., he wrote to Wayne that :

"The last stop is the original. After that Auburn...."

Could it be back to the store here in NJ.

CSI -- team

Frank

Another possibility is that because Lance could not find the Mary Kay pink paint fast enough, that the Dussy is making a second trip to San Diego for Lance to add something else to the car.

Lance did you sign the Dussy with pink paint or a pink pen?

Gordon, did you add a double loon to the undercarriage?

And Yates, he lives in the Tarheel state. Hmm, tar on the tires? Or did he sign the Dussy with Tar?

It is time to settle in, we have an early flight to the wilderness in the morning.

Charlie and Team CSI

Has Charlie committed or is he just throwing out guesses. Meanwhile Frank is awfully quiet - not sure he's just laying low or nobody's got it. Charlie has thrown out Rick Botti in CA, the Forarazzos in VT, Bob Smith in Flint, and lately Frank himself and then last New Jersey.
Not sure which one he really thinks.
Assuming Frank's silence up to yesterday meant no one had it right, all my logic was for naught. It still made some sense. But now.....

I gonna have to say that it has to be Frank W. in Hookstown.

Here's why:
yesterday he said we have to go way back to his original posts. and 2 of his cars have a connection here (4th stop).

SO... on 8/22 Frank said "the last stop is the original, and then Auburn."
On 8/23, he said there are "4 stops on the tour"

Now, we have the first 3 stops identified: Lance. Gordy, and Yates. So, now the 4th and last stop is the "original."

Since after the last stop it is on to Auburn. It is now obvious the last stop has to be at Frank's place in Hookstown,PA.

All the other clues must fall into place somehow:
orphan auto
Billy Durant connection
meeting of the minds
person never owned a Star (how can this be Frank?he has 3 listed in the roster)
has a rare car
"froggy?"

But #4 just has to be Frank

Wayne

we are neither commiteed nor are we throwing in the towel

btw....we guessed that it was going back to Frank at 444 pm post time.

Frank's silence is deafening.....I wish that he would either say we are wrong or that one of us is correct...my team is tired from the overtime.

it is 545 am in NJ and we are Alaska bound in a few minutes.

check in later

charlie and team csi

Charlie, I figured you'd check in before you left.
Of course you got half a dozen outstanding guesses. I think you shoulda picked one and supported it. Just to cover the bases, I will guess everyone else on the club roster. Ha. so now the plaque goes to you or me - ha. Let Frank sort that out. Actually, I think the winner needs to support his choice, i.e. call the pocket, or for non-pool players, say how he deduced the stop. I changed from Gary to Frank because...and gave the reason (see my last note).
OK Frank, it has to be one of them. It's time to out yourself.
Thanks for the great fun, Frank.
Now I won't check in again til I got my new axle on my Durant and the brakes hooked up, so I can bring my car to Auburn.

Wayne

Hi All.....

OK one of you is correct !!

But which one?

And of course Wayne has guessed everyone in the Club. And I think Charlie and team CSI guessed everyone on both coasts!

Add up the "clues" and you will see there is only one correct answer for this stop.

Now prove you are correct.

Not all clues fit all the guesses.

Charlie get some sleep and Wayne work on that Durant.

I think we set a record on the number of hits on this post, Hope we didn't blow out some circuitry on the web site.

Have FUN enjoy the ride and See Y'all in Auburn !!!

Frank ---

From Seattle's Airport:

We will stay with going back to where it started it's adventure at Frank's. Since that was my guess before my CSI team guessed it was coming back to NJ to the store it was bought from. But we will still arenot sure -- because you own a star.

This will be our last guess from the CSI team since there is no internet in the wildnerness. And my head CSI member is back at school. Good Luck to whoever the winner is -- and we will see you in Auburn in just a few weeks.

MIss. Dussie, I hope you enjoyed your trip around North America.

Charlie and the csi team

Hi All.......

Here are some of the clues you may have missed about this stop.
Ditto
Rode in My Star (think NJ Meet)
The Original
Two of my Durants passed through his hands(what model did Bonnie & Clyde use as a get away car?) is one of them.

Auburn is getting closer but still time to enjoy the ride. Most of all have FUN !

See Y'all in Auburn in two weeks !!! Frank ---

Do You own a car built by Durant? 13 Durant & Star cars & a Durant Dort Buggy

I got it!!!

It's Russell Rocky Howland in New Jersey. The original Factory employee that everyone met in Newe Jersey and got a ride in your car. Many Stars passed thru his hands and he owned none of them.

Is that it? Too bad Charlie is in the woods. He should have had it in 7 minutes.

Wayne Farrand

Wayne. "Rocky, Russel died a few months ago.
Lance

Where Are You From? www.lancedurant.com

Do You own a car built by Durant? a whole bunch of them.

Oh now, I have doubts. How can it be Russell since you said either I or Charlie was correct before? Stumped!
Wayne

I'm sticking with Gary.

Dave

Sorry to hear about Rocky. But teh stories from the meet sounded like all had a good time meeting him.

I was about to re insist that the Dussey stop was Gary Kauffman. I cannot confirm that he meets ALL the clues, so I'll just have to claim it. When Frank brought up the new clues, I started reading my Partners. Beth Haynes had a great write-up in 12/04. She mentions the interesting situation at one of the lunches where Gary, Yates and Lance were sitting together. Frank would remember that "meeting" of the minds. Gary can claim the "original" as founder of the first club. I'm betting that he got a ride in Frank's star. I'll add some more reasons as it looks like Frank wants us to justify our guesses. But I got enough for me.

Wayne

Bonnie and Clyde used a model 6-63 which Gary owned and sold to Frank.

Do You own a car built by Durant? yes 1929 4 door model 6-63

Hi All..........

Ok all you old timers (like me) what does "ditto" have to do with this stop?????

Think back to when you were young, like in the late 1960's. Go back even farther to your school days and the one part of taking tests that you enjoyed.

Have FUN enjoy the ride,

See Y'all in Auburn in 2 weeks..Frank ---

Hi All........

We Have a WINNER !!!!!

Wayne Farrand was the first member to identify Gary Kauffman as the 4th stop.

The clues were tougher on this one but the investigative skills won out.

"Froggy" refered to Gary's email address, "original" refered to him as founder of the first Club. "orphan & Meeting" were about Plymouth Meeting Pennsylvania, Gary's home town. Gary & Marcia rode in my Star Touring at the New Jersey Meet, as did Lance & Rocky . The Billy connection was Walter Chrysler.

Brian picked up on the "Bonnie & Clyde" connection. I recently bought a 6-63 from Gary that I'm going to clone into the get away car driven by C.W. Moss in the movie. Did you know that member Dave Webster actually owns the original movie car?? Check out the picture of it in the photographs section.

The "ditto" clue that no one picked up on refers to some of Gary's first publications. They were done with ditto paper (remember the smell from your school days?) And the outer cover was a manila file folder. Gary is an ex teacher (and so am I) so that probably had something to do with it.

I have decided to put in one more stop with this car, so fire up the old Radiola tune in some 1920's music and see where you think we are headed next.

See Y'all in Auburn in about a week ! Have FUN and enjoy the ride.....Frank ---

Frank, Thank you for the fun, this subject has set an all time record for views, 1,530 as of this post!

I'm looking forward to Auburn, we're going to have a fantastic time

Rick

Where Are You From? www.txtransportationmuseum.org/DURANT2007.htm

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1929 Model 60 Roadster

Hi All.....

Well Miss Dussie is all loaded up and ready for the Auburn Trip.

Thank you all for playing along. We set an all time record with the number of hits on this post.

I still have a couple other surprises up my sleeves. There will be some special presentations at Auburn to those folks who played along and were the correct guessers.

Miss Dussie has a traveling companion (think ACD) And something special will happen to it at Auburn.

See Y'all in LESS than a week !!!

Have FUN and enjoy the ride.....Frank ---

For those of you that were not at the DMAC Annual Meeting and are wondering where Miss Dussy is headed, the answer is the home of Yates Milton.

There was a raffle for Miss Dussy, and one of the members was asked to draw one of the tickets out of the shopping bag. Well the person that was asked to pick the ticket was Yates Milton, and yes, Yates did pick his own ticket....there was laughter and applause....

We are all enthusiatic that Yates won Miss Dussy.

For those of us that played the game of guessing the next stop, we all had a fantastic time.

Thanks to Frank for thinking of this as a prelude to the annual meeting.

What is in store for us next year?

The CSI Team will take a rest until next year.

Commander Charlie Spitz

What better person to have this Duesenburg then Yates.

There are so many great people in this club, very eclectic, many social and political views, but all able to communicate and enjoy each other. A Great Club!

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yes

1 2

The Durant Motors Automobile Club