Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
1 2
Author
Comment
Win A Dusenberg at Auburn

Hi All.......

That's right......

YOU READ IT CORRECTLY !!!!!

Some lucky member will go home with a DUSENBERG from the Auburn meet.

So get those reservations in today don't delay, YOU could be the winner !!!

See Y'all in Auburn......Frank ---

Do You own a car built by Durant? 13 Durant & Stars and a Durant-Dort buggy

Re: Win A Dusenberg at Auburn

Hi All.....

Update on this car.

It was loaded onto the transport truck two days ago in New Jersey.

It is now on the transport truck and headed for Hookstown. Once I get it unloaded it will be on it's way to California.

Keep tuned in for more updates on this car. It is going to be a well traveled car before it finally gets to Auburn.

There will be many stops along the way, and at each stop something more will be added to the car.

Can you guess where it is going?? And what is going to be so special about this car??

The first stop is some place in Southern California.

Where will it go next? Only a few people know where it will travel, but we all know that it will end up in Auburn, and in some lucky Durantonian's garage.

Enjoy the "road trip"

See Y'all in Auburn......Frank ---

Do You own a car built by Durant? 13 Durant & Star cars & a Durant Dort Buggy

I don't think anybody knows where you're going with this. But you got people so curious we're afraid to ask.
See you in Auburn.
Wayne Farrand

Do You own a car built by Durant? yes

Hi Wayne.......

That's the fun part !!!!! The winner of this Dussie is going to have a one of a kind.

Don't be afraid to ask or speculate. Everything I say her is true. This is a coast to coast trip with a couple important stops along the way.

A clue to the first stop is the first.

The last stop is the original.

After that Auburn....

So what do you think is going on??

More later......Frank ---

Hi All.....

Update:

Got the car unloaded last night. Really a neat car. Little different that driving one of our Durant or Star cars.

Cathy thinks we should keep it, but we have no more room. So it is starting it's "road trip" tomorrow. Have a pick up scheduled with the transporter.

Now to make this saga a bit more interesting. The first DMAC member who corectly identifies the first stop and its location will win an "ALL EXPENSES PAID", dash plaque from the Auburn National Meet.

There are going to be 4 stops on this tour, so you have 4 chances to win!! Clues will follow, remember the first correct guess wins the plaque for that portion of the trip!!!

First stop clues:

Navy, Southern California, oldautos, chauffeur

More will follow until we have a winner.....

Enjoy the ride, see y'all in Auburn....Frank ---

Southern California? Navy? How about San Diego or Long Beach as the first stop, or is that too easy?

Don

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1923 Star touring, 1927 Star Coupe

How about the first stop is at the home of Lance Haynes?

He is in San Diego, he is a chauffer, and he restores old cars

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yes

That is too easy Charles. Frank needs to give harder clues.

Steve

you are assuming that I am correct!

Oh and I forgot, that San Diego is home to several major navy and marine corp commands.

Bring on the next clue!

Hi All....

Ok The next clue:

His car IS NOT on the dash plaque......BUT?????

Enjoy the road trip......Frank ---

Last Clue of the night:

for those of you who are keeping track

9101 8052 1390 7922 5066 31

Now don't go "postal" on me

There is a tie in on all these clues, at least in my mind.

Tomorrow "all will be revealed" just like on Lost..

Enjoy the ride....See Y'all in Auburn......Frank ---

Frank

the last clue has thrown me, but based upon the first clue and the second clue......I am sticking with my original guess......the first stop on the tour is at Lance Haynes'......I am still trying to figure out the numbers, I know they are not the winning lottery numbers for this week.

There is a zip code in that string of numbers, and depending upon how I extract the random choices, I can get

98175 which is Seattle WA, and Lance is from Washington
or I can get 92126 which is a San Diego zip code (but not the one for Lance)

And I continue to unscramble the numbers.

UPDATE !!!!!

We have our first WINNER !!!!

But there is much more mystery surrounding this car. What we know so far : and this is ALL TRUE

Cathy & I did discover this car in an old warehoude in New Jersey. We purchased it with the intention of keeping it, but decided to donate it to the DMAC for the ultimate prize in Auburn to be given away at the banquet (held at the Auburn Cord Dusenberg Museum) so there is the first tie in.

The car was shipped to us from New Jersey and we did ship it to southern California. It is now enroute and should arrive early next week. Notice we have not told you much about the car, other than it's make. What shape is it in??? Is it in great condition or a pile of rusted junk like the Plymouth in Tulsa??

Some clues to what is going on that no one has figured out yet:

The first stop is the first
Number sequence just as on "Lost" it must be
entered in the EXACT SEQUENCE AND "ALL WILL BE
REVEALED" (maybe)
Those of you keeping track
Don't go "postal"
His car is not on the plaque.....But what???

But there were enough clues for you super sleuths to figure out that Lance Haynes is the First stop on the tour. But why Lance???

Don got everybody headed in the right direction right from the start with San Diego or Long Beach. If you look at the plaque, Bob Krause's service truck is on the plaque, so he is ruled out. which means San Diego, Lance's hometown.

"oldautos" is Lances ebay screen name
One of his businesses is a chauffauer company using old cars.

Now the question is Why is it going to Lance first?? Is it in such bad shape that only he can bring it back to life? Remember some of the cars he has done, and what he started with. Did he need some new way to irritate the neighbors? Will we ever get it back from him (he has been known to hang onto some cars for a while)

Where will it travel next, probably North eh!. Of course most everywhere is North of San Diego.

SO our first WINNER IS.........

CHARLIE SPITZ

Congradulations, I will have your dash plaque for you at Auburn

Still need to know why it went to Lance first and what is he doing to it?

There is a reason why it is going to each destination (at least in my mind)

Have FUN enjoy the ride and see Y'all in Auburn...Frank ---

OK, why did it go to Lance's first....he is the immediate past president of DMAC?

He is known for restoring Durant and Star Cars?

And I have a question...did the Dusenburg start in Berkley Heights, NJ?

Charlie

Ok Charlie.....

you have it figured out for the first stop at Lance's.

The car came from Moonachie , New Jersey....

The clue about the dash plaque, is he restored the 614 roadster, but it is not his......

Thanks for comming along on the road trip...

Frank ---

Frank

Thanks. I look forward to the next set of clues.

See you in Auburn

charlie

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yes 1929, 1930, and 1931

Frank

we have partially solved the long number, 9101 8052 1390 7922 5066 31....it is a tracking confirmation number for a US Postal Service package that was accepted on August 24 at 1159 AM in Hookstown, PA, which we all know is your home town.

Now what we do not know is what was in the package, nor have we figured out the origin of the package

Since this is a tracking number for an Express Mail package, it could be the registration for the car, it could be a document, it could be a book.

Frank

We are getting closer to solving the mystery.....according to the US Postal Service, you sent a priority package on August 23 to yourself using the confirmation tracking number that is included in one of your clues.

Now why you would spend at least $4.60 plus the tracking fee, is part of this whole mystery. But we are continuing to investigate.

We await more clues.

charlie and his investigative team

Hi All.....

Is Everyone ready for the next CHAPTER in the never ending tale of driving Miss Dussie???

Since Charlie and his CSI (Charlie Spitz Investigations) team Figured the first stop was at Lance's, and almost Figured out the number sequence. I did mail a package, but not to myself.

We are ready to move on to the next stop. There is already one clue above.

A couple others:
We are headed North from San Diego eh ! but just about everything is North of Lance.

He doesn't own a Durant but his Son does

No one has figured what is happening to the car at each stop.

That should give you super sleuths a start, more to follow, remember the first correct guess wins an Auburn dash plaque

Stay tuned, enjoy the ride and see Y'all in Auburn

Frank
---

How long do you think it will take to get from Lances' to Gordons'??

Dave

Frank

We think stop 2 is to the home of the current president Rick Botti.

We think one of the following is being done at each stop:

1) decals or label
2) signed at each stop
3) photographed with or without person
4) passport loving each stop
5) postcard home to dad Frank
6) making nessary repairs

BTW, the usps has advised us that the package in question has arrive in SD at 11:09 PDT today.

CSI team

OK.....based upon an email received from the US Postal Service

Label/Receipt Number: 0180 5213 9079 2250 6631

Your item was delivered at 11:04 AM on August 27, 2007 in SAN DIEGO, CA 92117.

We know that the "package" with the Dussie arrived at Lance's at the appointed hour above.

The CSI Team is at work 24/7.

OK, I've just been lurking here, but I'll take a shot. Dave has it right. It has to be going to Canada, eh? So that would be Gordon Curl, whose son has a Durant.
My guess is the reason is - The Dusey is a scale model and it's getting signatures of club officials.

Wayne Farrand

OK I received the beautiful 1934 dual cowl Duesenberg car today and have got my painter checking all his variations of pink so I can get it repainted right away before I ship it off again. I took a few things off to put on my 29 Durant that I liked real well. Check with Frank for more clues where it is going next. Tee Hee.
Lance Haynes from sunny San Diego

Where Are You From? www.lancedurant.com

Do You own a car built by Durant? yes many

I know there are scale models of the 34 Dusenberg and the '05 meet was in CA with Lance. The '06 meet was in CANADA, eh, with Gordon. It will end up in Auburn with Frank's signature. Nice touch. The Dusenburg model awarded at the banquet at the museum - and no one makes a Durant scale model anyway. TeeHee? Lance's signature will be in Auburn since he can't travel.
Are we gettting close?
Wayne

We figured out that it was a scale model, and even where it was purchased yesterday. Frank received an email from us with all that information.

The tracking info was also figured out late last night. And if you read an earlier post, we even listed signature as one of the potential options.

While Gordon Curl is a good choice, we, the CSI team will stand by its investigative choice of Rick Botti as the next stop on the Duesenberg tour.......He is the current president of the DMAC, and although he will be in Auburn, we are of the opinion that all of the signatures will be on the scale model prior to its arrival in Auburn, IN.

The CSI Team in action.

WOHA LANCE !!!!!!!

NOT PINK !!!!!!!!!

Only time will tell and you will have to be at Auburn to see this car in all it's glory ????

Stay tuned this evening for more clues

Enjoy the ride and see Y'all in Auburn....

Frank ---

Frank

The CSI Team has stop two solved...we dont need anymore clues. Just say we won, and lets go to stop three.

BTW, Lance does not have any pink paint, so not to worry.

Now red or blue or white he does have. That would be nice, the All American Duesenberg!

Part of the CSI team is returning to NJ today, so we will be solving the next clues from coast to coast.

charlie and his partners in solving mysteries

Sorry Charlie, Rick does not fit the last set of clues. He has a Durant and does not live in Canada, eh. "Eh" can ONLY mean Canada. But that's OK, you can't be right all the time.

Wayne

When you think about it, just about everyone is north of Lance, i.e. Tony Burke, Bob Krause, are sough of me but north of Lance. Bob Bush, Mike Larsen and Gord Curl are North of Lance but I'm south of them.

Lance has a reputation for wild colors, even though he may not own hot pink, but you can never tell what other colors he has stored away. Keep your fingers crossed it's not Lime Green or some such.

Rick

Where Are You From? www.restorationstuff.com

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1929 Model 60 Roadster

Hi All...

Yoy guys are starting to scare me.

Charlie has gone as far as to identify the warehouse in NJ where the car came from, and what I paid for it !!! This guy is GOOD !!

The second stop on our trip has been identified. My "clues" must be too easy. Either that or some of you picked up on the "eh!" as being Canadian.

And The WINNER Is........(for stop #2)

Dave Schulte.....good going Dave !!

If you look at the time of my post with the clues and Dave's reply only 8 MINUTES elapsed, I can't even type that fast !!!!

Let me know if you want your plaque in Auburn or mailed to you.

OK Durantonians, hop aboard Miss Dussie for the 3rd stop on our tour....

We are heading south but actually will end up North !!

see if you can solve this one in under 8 minutes.....

Enjoy the ride, but have fun See Y'all in AUburn....

Frank ---

Hi All....

You guys are starting to scare me with all your detective powers!!!

Charlie went as far as identifying the wholesaler I purchase models from in NJ, he not only nailed down the exact address but even told me what page of the catalog it was on!! This guy is GOOD !!!

Wayne picked up on the "eh!" as being Canadian as well as what is happening to the car along the way.

But the WINNER is ............

DAVE SCHULTE

Great going Dave, identifying Gord Curl as our second stop with Miss Dussie. Let me know if you want your plaque in Auburn, or mailed to you.

Now if you look at the time of my post with the clues, and Dave's reply, only 8 MINUTES elapsed, WOW I can't even type that fast.

Maybe my "clues" are too easy. So all you "Durantonians" hop on board Miss Dussie for the continuation of our "Road Trip"

We will be heading South but really end up North.....

Go ahead, solve this in under 8 minutes........

Enjoy the trip but remember to have FUN, see Y'all in Auburn....Frank ---

Frank

I missed the 8 minutes, because I did not understand the page two thing.

But, I am going to take a SWAG on this clue and say that the next stop is at the home of Yates Milton.

CSI at work

and how did I get there.

well, Yates is south of Canada...by a lot of kilometers, but he lives in North Carolina....hence go south to end up north.

now if that's not it....the CSI team has a plan B......

Ok, what is happening? Did the car crash?

there have been no clues in two days.

Charlie, Charlie, Charlie, relax the car is still in the paint shop and you of all people should understand that as A-1 here in San Diego took 9 months to paint your 31 Durant remember.
Plus we waiting for the Mary Kay people to send us there pink paint we are using. Everyone will love it.
Faithfully Lance San Diego

Do You own a car built by Durant? a whole bunch of them.

Lance

Only Mary Kay people like pink....a Duesenberg should not be embarassed by painting it pink.....can you imagine Frank presenting a pink Duesenberg to the winner? Frank would have a heart attack...good thing that I am current in CPR....Sea Scout training you know.

While it took A-1 nine months to paint the 619, it should only take you one day to paint the Duesenberg that you have.

Anyway, get it done and get it to Gordon Curl's place so that he can get it off to Yates Milton, so that Frank can post that the CSI Team won the third stop in the tour.....

We await the next series of clues......even on Labor Day weekend, the CSI team is ready to solve next series of clues.

Charlie and the CSI Team

Lance

I could have shipped you ten gallons of pink paint by now. What are you doing? Using a #1 artist brush to paint the car....no wonder it is taking so long for you to get it back on the road.

Clues, we are in need of clues!

Charlie and the CSI team

Hi All.....

Here is what we know so far:

The car was at my place first And I shipped it to Southern California.

First Stop was at Lance's We still don't know what he did to the car. We will have to wait till Auburn to find out.

Second Stop was at Gord Curl's motor home some where in Canada

Third stop has not been disclosed as yet, we have one guess so far, but is it correct??

Another hint This old car nutz recently sold his Durant (is that really possible??) and I did not buy it (Cathy thinks that is impossible).

Think more than a couple oak trees

OK everybody....Have at it

Enjoy the ride, have fun and See Y'all in Auburn

Frank ---

That does it! oldcarnutz2 is Yates Milton's eBay handle. But of course Charlie already guessed Yates - he picked up on the "north" like I did only 8 seconds sooner.
NOW we can await the next clue Charlie - - - Charlie? He must have left town for LABOR DAY. He's been quiet since Saturday. I think Chalie's banter was just to throw us off. He's probably next on the Dussey route.

Wayne

We will stick with Yates Milton as our choice.....there was a time that Yates used an email address of oldcarnutz......so far the clue has not changed our guess...which we think is accurate.

anyway...this is coming to you from Minneapolis.

see you all in Auburn....but I have another 8000 plus miles to travel before I arrive at the annual meeting.

Charlie and the CSI Team

Wayne

You were correct, I was on an airplane most of Labor Day...Minneapolis bound.

Oh and Wayne....trust me the next stop is not in Wall NJ, because I will not be in Wall NJ for very long this month. I will be spending 12 days in Alaska, with only 8 days total in the month in NJ....I dont think that Frank wants to have a car sent to a moving target.

See below

Frank

The couple of oaks is Four Oaks, NC, the home of Yates Milton....just declare us the winner of round three so that you can start posting clues for round four,

Now before you post the first clue, the detectives on the CSI Team see a pattern to the stops for the Dussey......without giving away our research, our guess for the fourth stop, even without a clue is Rick Botti. We continue to be of the opinion that any Dussey must go through the hands of the club president prior to its arrival in Auburn.

So mark it down that Rick Botti is the fourth stop.

Your CSI Team at work in all parts of the world....last week it was San Diego and NJ, this week its Minneapolis and NJ, and next week it will be Alaska and NJ.

Charlie and the CSI team

Oh and one more thing, did Lance find the Mary Kay Pink and the paint brushes?

Hi All....

Ok you got me figured out (at least you think so)

So far the three confirmed stops have been:

Lance Haynes
Gord Curl
Yates Milton

Anybody seeing a trend here???? Don't bet the farm just yet. I still have a couple surprises.

So Charlie and the CSI team were correct for stop number 3 at Yate's. I must be making the clues too easy (or you folks are that good).

The next stop will be in North America. The town has something to do with an orphan auto, and there is a Billy Durant connection also.....

OK guys have at it for stop # 4 , good luck and have a safe road trip !!!

See Y'all in Auburn only a couple more weeks to go !!

Frank
---

as chief investigator in new jersey, I was told by the head cheese (flying back from MN) to reconfirm we are sticking with the previous guess of Rick Botti. For the reason there was a Durant plant near by in Oakland, CA

CSI team

Flint, Mich.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1923 Star touring, 1927 Star Coupe

Hi All....

I think I got you thinking this time.

Good guesses but NO Cigar (sorry Don)

Ditto Charlie and the CSI team....

Enjoy the ride and have fun. There is another clue in this post somewhere,

See Y'all in Auburn.....Frank ---

Don smokes cigars! I don't know if that helps any!

Do You own a car built by Durant? a whole bunch of them.

OK, let's see if we get the cigar this time.

The chief CSI investigator called me last night at midnight as I was getting home from a trip to Minneapolis, that she thougth that the Dussy's next stop was going to be in Vermont.

So with that I told my daughter (Chief Investigator) that there could only be one place if Vermont was correct and it is not the Ben and Jerry factory in Waterbury Center, but the home of Carol and Larry Forarazzo in Manchester Center, VT. So, hopefully we get the cigar this time.

BTW, it is interesting that neither Carol or Larry have been playing the "find the route of the Dussy game". Hmmm.....Next stop Manchester Center....Carol and Larry, see you in Auburn.

The CSI team working overtime to solve the puzzle.

Frank...cigars eh!

since you have not responded to our last SWAG, the CSI team continues the hunt.

The cigar clue....Billy Durant sold cigars in Flint MI

Bob Smith, the DMAC Secretary, Treasurer, and Store Manager lives in Flushing MI, Flushing MI is 14 miles from Flint MI.

Bob Smith is an officer/director....as have been the past stops.

So if we were in the wrong part of the country with the previous guess, then maybe the CSI team is on the right track this time with the next stop being at the home of Bob Smith

The CSI team is continuing to search the clues and if we come up with another SWAG we will post accordingly.

Charlie and his chief investigator Carla

1 2

The Durant Motors Automobile Club