Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Rear main filler block

By chance, I ran across an ad in our local paper for a Star engine. The engine had come from a mining operation in Nevada and was semi-stripped and very rusty. The pan was off and I immediately noticed an in tact rear main filler block, that miserable pot metal shield which carrier the rear main bearing seal. I bought the engine for $35.00, including a working starter, water pump, a distributor and a manifold. What I wanted was that filler block. QUESTION: How best to remove this part without damaging it? I've removed the fly wheel, loosened the front and center mains. Rear main nuts are not not easily accessible because of the filler block. No rods, pistons,were in the engine. I've thoroughly soaked everything around the filler block and removed the two retaining bolts. I'm reluctant to pry or pound on this part, as I know how delicate it is. The one in my Durant is O.K., but I'm sure someone will need this part sooner or later.

Any advice greatly appreciated!

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1928 M2 Coupe

Re: Rear main filler block

hello
i remember that my 1930 6-14 had a bolt or screww coming into the filler block from inside the oil pan. you had to look from the inside of the pan. check to see if yours does also or you could damage it when trying to lever it out....regards, gary k

p.s.
when it is out, take a few pics from different directions and a measurement or two for our i.d parts bo0oklet i am working on for winter

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1929 MODEL 70 COUPE & 1930 6-14 SEDAN

Hey Gary! That was on the front filler block on a 22A.

Dave

hello Dave,
.........you young people still have memories....how lucky you are.!!!
well......nevermind what i said!!!!!!! but i did find that filler block in the garage the other month....

regards gary k

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1929 MODEL 70 COUPE & 1930 6-14 SEDAN

Did you get it out????

Dave

Hi Dave:

Yes I did, in perfect condition too. After soaking the filler block with Sea Foam (a really good brand penetrating oil)I was able to remove the two studs which retain the filler. I used vise grips for this operation because I didn't care about the studs. Using a wooded mallet, I tapped the block fore and aft until I saws movement. Keeping this up, the movement increased and voila. The part came free. I wasn't concerned about the engine block, as it had one mounting "ear" at the rear broken off, and the amount of rust in the cylinders made it a poor candidate for reboring. I've saved the cam and the valuable acorn nut (in good condition) which retains the oil pressure spring and ball. The rest is going to the scrap yard.

I saved the brass Continental engine motor number plate with the hope of finding out just what Star Car this engine inhabited. My guess is that it was a 24/25 as it had the old mounting yoke on the timing gears divider.

Thanks for asking!

Lou

Lou, The solid engine mount W5 was first used on 1925 F models and continued on the M models up to car number 405,000 (mid '27).

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1923 Star touring, 1927 Star Coupe

Thanks for that information, Don. As I recall, someone in the Club maintained production rosters for our cars. I have the brass tag off of this Star motor showing its serial number is 240985. It would be interesting to learn what model Star Car this engine inhabited. I'll have to dig out my copies of the old Durant's Standard. I recall there was a series of articles about the car's patent plates and their numbers, but I don't recall if there was anything about motor serial numbers.

The Durant Motors Automobile Club