Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Parts Hunting

We're still blowin' n goin' on our 1927 Star M Coupes. Presently I'm starting construction of finished body woodwork and Butch is working on the frames, axels, and leaf springs.
Concerning the leaf springs, is there a source of spring shackles, shackle bolts and spring bushings?
I can fabricate the shackles and bushings if necessary but the bolts are a peculiar design.

Any help will be certainly appreciated!

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1923 Star touring, 1927 Star Coupe

Re: Parts Hunting

Having a similar issue of wanting to maintain the look of the original bolts this is what I have done, but not having my star running as yet time will tell how well this will work. I built the bolts up with bronze weld and machined them to the correct diameter. I bought some bushing off of EBay, turned them down to the correct OD and length then pressed them into the springs and drilled them out to the correct ID. I also had a couple of fittings where the bolts went through some brackets on the frame that were worn, these I also built up with weld and drilled them to the correct diameter. This process is described at http://www.esabna.com/EUWeb/OXY_handbook/589oxy1_1.htm at Hard- surfacing, building. I also used this process on one of gears in my transmission that was badly pitted from rust.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 25 Star 2dr Sedan Model F

The Durant Motors Automobile Club