Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Auburn Meet Update Info

Hi All.....

We are working on finalizing the activities for the National meet. Should have the final version next week.

Auburn Indiana is really a car lovers "heaven" to get some idea of what is there go to the Dekalb County web site at

www.dekalbcvb.org

If you look at car meets and ckick on cruise -ins then car meets you will find the DMAC listed.

Many of these museums are a very close drive (even in a Durant Product) from our hotel. less than 5 miles.

I have had some questions about the registration. If you can't make it to the banquet, that's OK. We would like to know who is comming please let Mike or I know. All the other activities are a pay as you go set up, we have negotiated group rates for most activities. If you can only make it for a day or so please join us. The registration costs cover the Banquet, dash plaques, and picnic lunch on our tour.

I will have a limited number of dash plaques for sale if you don't register and attend the banquet.

Ever day brings calls from members who will be there even for a day or so. Don't miss this one!

This is shapping up to be one of the greatest National Meets . With cars and people you may have only heard about. Plan on being there.

Some of us will be in on Tuesday. Look for the "Welcome Durantonians" Banner

See y'all in Auburn........Frank ---

Do You own a car built by Durant? 13 Durant & Star cars & a Durant Dort Buggy

Re: Auburn Meet Update Info

Thanks to you and your organizing team, great work!!!!
See you on the Tues. Yeah,! me early, can you believe it?

When I went home this weekend from my contract in San Franciso, Florida had good news for me. I had received a bunch of registrations for the event and the checks are in the bank. We now have about 30 attending, some couples and some singles. and about 6 cars coming, so it's getting better. Have received a few registrations that say two are coming but they've only sent a check for $60.00. Remember it's $60 a piece. I will be contacting those individuals to make the correction. How about you Canadian members? Only received one registration from Jack & Mary so far. Keep those registrations coming!

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1928 Model 65 4dr

Our check for two (120) was mailed today. Peg and I will be flying in on Thursday and we look forward to the meeting and seeing all of you again.

Because of our travel schedules, we did not have the time to bring one of our cars, but we still look forward to having a great time.

charlie

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yes

Charlie
Great and I'll be looking for the registration. We are right around 32 registered right now, but there are still some regulars that I know are attending that just have not registered yet. I called the hotel and spoke to them and everything looks good there and we have been assigned the" Auburn East" hospitality room for our entire time there. It will be the central gathering point while in Auburn. Registration will open on Wednesday morning, with some of the East Coast members handling registration. I will contact the ACD museum this week to make sure all is a go there. Thanks to Annjean Devries the catering is all set with a fantastic meal planned for Saturday night in one of the most eligant settings I'm sure. Being able to have our banquet among all those million dollar cars will be a memorable occassion. Although there are no Durant's there, I do understand there is a Locomobile or two, (pre Durant Motors days) and I was told that Charles Durant's Dusenberg is there. Now if the weather cooperates with us for the tours it will be just perfect! If anyone knows how to do a "no rain dance" then let me know. Frank will be coming out with a tentative schedule soon. For those of you that have not registered yet, please get in those registrations as soon as possible. We need a number of guests attending to provide the caterers at least two weeks before the banquet.

Hello Mike
don't forget to include Marcia and me for the banquest and all...we should be there by Thursday at dinner if the ride goes well. Our check will go out by the end of this week.Hope to see a great turnout from everyone ....and don't forget to try to bring pictures of your car's special identifying parts for our planned "identification" manual. or a disc or a roll of film or a disposable camera....or your hand drawn sketches....or.....well, you get the idea. I will work with whatever you can give, get , bring, or send.

regards, gary k

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1929 MODEL 70 COUPE & 1930 6-14 SEDAN

Hi Frank:
Right now we are in Brandon, Manitoba in our motor home and are heading for Churchill, Manitoba. If we get home in time, we are hoping to make it to the meet.
Gord Curl

Hey Gordon
Hope you can make it. Sooo far only Jack & Mary from O'Canada have registered. We sure would like to see more Canadian friends come down to the meet. Shouldn't be too far a drive for some of them, eh!

Fellow Durantonians!
We're coming down to the big event, and plans are being finalized. Frank is waiting for the Duesenberg to be finished, painted and gassed up for some lucky soul to win. Anyone will be lucky to have it in their collection with some real Durant history! The ACD museum has contacted me and we are all set there, Frank has the dash plaques for everyone who registers, the tours have been set, and the catering arranged for our banquet thanks to Bill & AnnJean Devries. All that is left to do is to let the caterers know how many to provide meals for? So on that note, those of you who have not registered yet, need to let me know as soon as possible if you are planing to attend the banquet. You can drop the check in the mail between now and September 22nd. So I can receive them before I fly off to Indiana on the 25th. Just send me an email. If your not sure you want to come to Auburn yet, go ahead and make plans to come, you will not be sorry. At every event we always have fun, meet new and some good ole friends, and share the love for Billy's cars!

We are coming!! keep an eye out for our payment!
We just got a whole bunch of old star body parts... anyone need fenders or doors? I will bring a few lenses too.
Cant wait to see you all. Sounds like it will be fun as usual. Got to get my vintage outfit sewn!! Oh boy the pressure! Special thanks to you all for organizing this for the rest of us! Durantonians are such great people dont you think?

Where Are You From? www.oldcarlenses.com

Do You own a car built by Durant? many :)

Mike

a suggestion

post those that you have the registrations...that we know that you have them.

plus we know who is attending.

thanks

charlie

I've got a bunch of bills to pay tonight so I'll get a check coming for our registration also.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1923 Star touring, 1927 Star Coupe

Don

I can sent you a bill, will you then send me a check too?

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yes 1929, 1930, and 1931

hey gang,
our check is in the mail...(where have we heard that before?) in fact we are so excited about it that we are going to try to get there wednesday nite by dinner....see you there....gary and marcia k

Charles, Certainly! My checks generally make good tire patches, too!

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1923 Star touring, 1927 Star Coupe

OOPS! I found my Auburn registration laying here on the desk. Am I too late? i hope you meant - mail it prior to the 14th. They go to Mike, correct?

Did you ever find a wire wheel for your spare?

Wayne

Do You own a car built by Durant? yes

That's right Wayne, send your registration to Mike and also send him an email.

Rick

Where Are You From? www.txtransportationmuseum.org/DURANT2007.htm

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1929 Model 60 Roadster

Peg and I are in the back country of Alaska
Went north of the Artic Circle yesterday, and we are staying the night in Denali.

How many people are coming to the DMAC Annual Meeting?

See you in Auburn after we return from Alaska

Charlie and Peggy

Charlie
Say hi to Gentle Ben for us! As of this morning we have 53 registered members for the banquet on Saturday night and I anticipate a few more prior to the meet. Frank has spoken to several that are coming in for the event who cannot stay through the banquet, or do not want to attend the banquet, so we may hit the 60 plus mark for attendance for the event. Everything is set, except the caterers which we have to give a head count by next Wednesday. There are currently 8 cars scheduled to show up, they are two 1923 A22 Durants, two 23 Stars, a 1926 Star, a 1925 Flint, a 1928 Durant M2 and a 1931 Durant 619. Frank will report on the tentative schedule later, and we will be set up on Wednesday in the hospitality room for registration when everyone arrives. Goody bags will be provided to those who register with lots of interesting items and information on the area as well as discount coupons etc. Frank has arranged some discounts on the museum entry fees and there is plenty of good shopping areas for those who don't want to talk Durant (the ladies). On Friday there will be a ladies fashion show & tea for the ladies to attend and get to know one another. The East Coast Chapter usually likes to do one tour or event per day, so everyone can have a chance to either rest or do what they want and see the local sights on their own. More on the schedule later.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1928 Durant Model 65

As of today 60 people have registered for the banquet, and 10 cars are scheduled to come to the event. We have Durants, Stars a Flint and a Devaux all attending. Caterer is being notified tomorrow. There is still time if you plan on attending to make reservations for the banquet. Just email me and let me know your attending and I will put your name down. If payment cannot get to me by next Tuesday, then you can pay on the day you register at the event. But please let me know in advance your coming. We can always add a few people to the banquet.

Is there a schedule for the week? What night is the banquet?

I almost forgot to ask. I wouldn't if it was just me but my wife ask about attire for the banquet - I told her "whatever", but that didn't work. This is our first annual meeting.
Wayne

wayne,
no one will throw you out ....but most folks get a little dressed up for sat nite banquet ...Deusenburg Hall is a special place on top of that...and, as i learned being underdressed last year at erie,a jacket or sweater and tie or suit will make you feel more appropriate..and... many of the folks dress in period style clothes...1920's to 1930's. Marcia has a special period outfit ready and i got a new outfit special for saturday nite....but...do as you can afford to do...we want to meet you...not your wardrobe.
hope this helps...gary k....P.S>-- i will check for the shackle pieces in the junkpile....

Mike

thanks for the update on the number, sorry that we did not reply eariler, but internet access in some parts of Alaska is non-existent.

Gary

Thanks for the dress code info.....not sure that I will have time to get period clothing ready in time for the trip, but will bring a jacket and tie for the banquet......although we have been dressing for cool weather the last two weeks....Auburn is probably going to be warmer than 35 degrees while we are there.

Frank

Is there a schedule of activities?

Also, does someone have a list of restaurants in the area for those meals that are not part of the DMAC program?

thanks.

See you all next week.......for those that would like, we can bore you with over 2500 photos that we have taken during our Alaska trip. I will have my laptop with me, just in case.

Rick

Is anyone bringing a camera to capture the events of the meeting? Let me know, while I will have a camera with me, I will pack a differnt set of camera equipment if you need me to take photos.

See you all in a week or so after we return from the Last Frontier.

Charlie and Peg

Charlie,

Good Idea, I'm bringing a small digital camera, but better equipment will make for better pictures. We do need a lot of pictures, as many of them will be published in the Durant Partner. This year the Annual Meet issue will be a double issue and we'll have plenty of room for pictures and stories.

BTW, has it really been a year since the meet in Canada??

Rick

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1929 Model 60 Deluxe Sport Roadster

hi frank i was trying to get the meet but my wife and i will be going south oct 1st to nov 1st so take a lot of pictures for the paper and have a great time and talk you later.

Wayne and others concerned about Saturday night Banquet dress. Although from what we have tried to put together for the banquet is a fine, memorable evening dinner in a museum housing some of the worlds most expensive and fine cars and a fine meal to satisfy everyones hunger, we Durantonians are not stuffy people. As Gary K stated earlier, you may dress as you feel confortable. The idea is to spend a great night together in a social event, cover some club things and have a chance to meet new friends and chit chat with old friends. If you want to wear coat & tie that is fine, a pair of dress slacks and polo style shirt is fine too. Some that do have period attire are welcome and encouraged to wear their outfits. Last year at the Canada meet there were some real fine outfits from the 1920's. Don't get hung up on what to wear, and don't feel you have to go out and buy a tuxedo or new suite unless you want to, it's not going to be a black tie affair. We want everyone to have a good time and be comfortable and not feel stuffy or over or under dressed.

Re: schedule, late arrivals

We will work on posting a schedule by the end of the week here. For those of you that will be coming in on Thursday, Friday etc. We usually try to schedule our tours in the morning, with down time in the afternoon for people to do what they want. The exception to that is on Saturday when I think the tour of the ACD museum is early afternoon, but we will confirm that later. If you arrive at the hotel after Wednesday, first ask at the front desk for the Durant Hospitality room. The registration desk will be there and one of us will be glad to register, and answer any questions. Someone should be there when we are not touring. If we are on a tour, we will post where we intend to be, and someone's cell number to contact them so you can choose to catch up or know when we all will return. The hospitality room will be our place to hang out, chit chat, and talk Durant. Frank, Larry and others might have some parts for sale there as well as some photo albums, some Durant history items etc. We will have coffee, soft drinks and water there for your use.
We have use of this room the entire time we are there, with the exception of Saturday afternoon, when there will be another function there. But after the banquet on Saturday, we will open it up again for the night owls to gather. Don't forget that if you want to share a piece of Durant history, photos of your cars or the restoration process, information on restoration or whatever, feel free to bring it and display it in the hospitality room.

Dinner each evening with the exception of Saturday night of course is on your own. For those of you who have not attended a Durant meet before, some like going out on their own, and some usually get into small groups and head off to local restaurants. Don't be shy if you want to join the crowd heading to a particular restaurant just join in.

When you check in at the registration table you will be given a "goody bag". This will contain a schedule, meet plaque, information on various sights and things to do around Auburn, and discount coupons, as well as some other things. There will also be discount coupons for some of the museums and tourist sights, but when we tour as a group to the museums most will provide us a discount group rate to get in, as long as we are all together. Entrance fees to the various museums are due when you attend the tour. The East Coast Chapter has not paid in advance for any of the entrance fees.

Hi All......

Well said Mike !

Durantonians are a very diverse group, we come from all walks of life. We are united by our love of evrything Durant, but most of all we enjoy each others company.

No one really cares what you do for a living, or how much you have or don't have, or what you wear. We are here for the FUN of associating with a group of enjoyable people.

Some of you have never been to one of our meets, you will be surprised how quickly you feel at home. We joke about being thrown out of the lobby at Williamsburg, but it did happen. We just don't know when to shut up and go to bed.

If you don't have a car at the meet, you will find out that we welcome riders, heck we have even let others drive our cars.

Our car shows are not "judged" no one is going to nit pick what you have. My cars are good 30 to 100 footers (look good from that distance). And some members have Hershey Show winners. We have even been known to work on cars in the parking lot. You should have seen all the heads under the hood of Yate's 614.

There will be something for everyone at Auburn. Here's your chance to attend a National Meet in the heartland. Come for a day or all week you will enjoy it.

Have FUN enjoy the ride....see Y'all in Auburn

Frank ---

Thanks, Frank, Mike, et al.
That's exactly what I was expecting and hoping for. I'm hauling my amateur job 500 miles for the experience. You'll laugh if you look underneath. I'd only qualify for the "thickest layer of original frame grease". I'll bring some artifacts, pictures and maybe some swap stuff somebody may want worse than me.

Soon,
Wayne

Hi Wayne......

That's what it is all about.

Come out and enjoy the experience, you won't be disappointed.

Our "show & tell" sesions are one of the most popular functions. Every one is welcome and has something to share. Every night in the hospitality room.

Wait till you see some of the "stuff" Jim G has in store, it's good my trailer is over 7 feet tall !!

I may have you beat for "most original crud"

See Y'all in Auburn....Frank ---

Just returned from Alaska, for those that would to see them, I will have my laptop with photos.

thanks for the answers to all of the questions.

Rick: I will bring my digital SLR, and I will plan on taking lots of photos.....

Mike, Frank and Gary: Thanks for the dress code info

Mike: Thanks for putting a schedule together, that will be helpful for all of us.

The trip is just a week away.....need to get some rest from this last trip.

See you all in Auburn

Charlie and Peg

Just a quick note to those of you who might be hesitating on coming out to the Auburn event because you forgot or didn't have time to register. Don't let that stop you! Show up anyway! We will have a few extra seats at the banquet available, and you can register with us when you get there. You don't want to miss out on this one for sure! We have over 63 people registered for the banquet and that's not including those that will show up but cannot stay or do not want to go to the banquet. It's going to be one of the largest turnouts the DMAC has had!

The Durant Motors Automobile Club