Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
1933 Continental Flyer

Looking for any info/ pics on this car. Im rebuilding a 3 window, 2 door coupe. No one seems to know what im talking about! Any help would be much appreciated.
Thanks, Giovanni.

Re: 1933 Continental Flyer

I FOUND AN ARTICLE THAT CVERS DEVAUX CARS AND MENTIONS BEACONS...SEND YOUR ADDRESS And i will send a copy to you...gary k

thanks sooo much gary. email is -biancagriggs@gmail.com Will let you know how i go if you like :)
thanks again.

I thought I would throw in my 2 cents on this subject as some might not know the link between the DeVaux and the Continental.
The DeVaux was built in Oakland, California and Grand Rapids, Michigan in 1931. By Fall, the Oakland factory was closed. Sad to say, in only 9 months the DeVaux went broke. Norman DeVaux lost his 17 Million investment. Very few 1932 DeVauxs were built. (All in Michigan). In February of 1932, the Continental engine company bought the Michigan assets of the DeVaux. The corporation name was changed from DeVaux Hall Motors to Continental DeVaux. When 1932 DeVaux production ended, they built the Continental automobile.
In 1933, the Continental built 3 models, the 4 cylinder Beacon and the 6 cylinder Flyer and Ace. The ace had a longer wheel base (114) than the Flyer at 107. In 1934, only the 4 cylinder Beacon was built. After that, Continental stopped production.
The 1932 DeVaux had a re-designed body from the 1931. I believe the 33 Continental body was close if not the same as the 32 DeVaux.
There is an interesting sidenote to the connection between Norman DeVaux and the Continental car. In late 1936, Norman DeVaux tried it again and built a prototype car using the design of the Continental Beacon. It was planned for export only. It was called a DeVo.
A few years back, at a swap meet I found and article from a car magazine of the late 80's about the DeVo. It is in South Africa and was restored there.

Norman DeVaux tried it one last time in 1938 when he bought the Cord body dyes. The result was the Hupp Skylark and the Hollywood Graham but that is another story.
Gary

Where Are You From? www.devauxregistry.com

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yes

Hi Mailo: Hope Iam not two years to late but Iam trying different approches in my search for Continental: Beacon, Ace, Flyer and Frontenac C400 or C600 and found this forum. I've been colecting thies cars, parts and literature for quite some time. Still looking for others. Do'nt know everything and like to shair thoughts about the Continental line. Daryl
Ph# 425 221 3275 or email darylcontinental@gmail.com

Where Are You From? Seattle , Wa

Do You own a car built by Durant? No, I collect Continental Motor Companey cars Beacon,Ace,Flyer,Frontenac

Hi Daryl ... been a few months since you used the forum on Continental's and we talked over email. No I'm still not interested in 33 and 34's. Too new. You might talk to Steve and Robert about new info on our Frontenac's and production going beyond 1933. Steve scanned the Toronto Star for D an F info and turned up the 34 info. Seems some of the 34's had Pullman feature. Peter still has the 600 body remains at his place near Westport Ont.

Where Are You From? Ottawa Ont

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1932 614 sedan

Hey Daryl sorry been away and busy,ok i 2 am interested in all three model's my 3 window coupe was built in Detroit Michigan, then shipped to Australia to a company called t.j.richards in Adelaide they then finished off the trim, colour, and engine which i was told optional. they to went broke. i had an original sales manual and log book when i bought the car it got throw out without my knowledge. i went to what we call a swap meet here in aus, one man had the same original book in prestige condition! the idiot would not sell it to me as i negotiated up to $1000. for it ! no such luck and never seen him since.
hopefully i get 1 soon

Where Are You From? syd australia

hello,
rereading the web , i am wondering if i sent you the info i promised...i have recently found my several sheets of info on devaux-continnental cars....iwill mail out copies by postal mail if you want them still...and if a few others need them, say so now and i can copy them all together at one time....send postal mail address....i don't mind your down under location...or canada....regards, gary k

Where Are You From? penna

The Durant Motors Automobile Club