Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Last known Durant factory worker "Rocky" dies at 99

Sad news came over the phone this morning from our faithful member Charlie Spitz that our great friend and ex Durant factory work (Rocky) Russell Howland died at 99 yesterday. As many of you remember we invited him to tour the Elizabeth New Jersey Durant factory with us and have lunch with us in the very factory he worked in the late 20’s at our 2004 annual meet held NJ. I do remember talking to him then at age 96 and his memory was fantastic. He also showed me his paid up annual membership card as a professional boxer and that is where he got the name “Rocky”. Did not seem like a boxer to me very polite and timid. He stated to his daughter that he was living with and stating that was the high light of his life in those days being invited to our Durant Club meet. We also took him on tour with us to Elizabeth city hall to meet the Mayor a wonderful fellow presenting us with a proclamation making that day officially (Durant Motors) day in Elizabeth New Jersey. We had a police motorcade and all thank you Charlie Spitz once more for a most historic fantastic Durant Club meet. Maybe Rick can upload a couple pictures of our old friend Rocky. God bless his soul.
Lance Haynes, Past President DMAC

Where Are You From? www.lancedurant.com

Do You own a car built by Durant? yes many

Re: Last known Durant factory worker "Rocky" dies at 99

Maybe someone can send a card or flowers to the family from the DMAC? Anyone want to tackle that, seems like a nice jesture.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1928 Model 65 4dr

I am very sorry to learn this; I enjoyed meeting him in Elizabeth. I have frequently corresponded with him since then and will send his family our condolences on behalf of the DMAC.

Rick

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1929 Deluxe Roadster

Let me thank Lance for posting that. I had a telephone call from the family this morning, and I have been on the road all day so I wanted the membership to know as soon as possilble.

The obituary will be in the Newark Star Ledger (http://www.nj.com/news/ledger/) probably Friday or Saturday. While I do not normally get it I will try to get a copy as well as post any link if the obituary is online.

The one thing that I remember most about Mr. Howland is the photo that I took of him holding my then 11 month old granddaughter, a photo that I think Rick had on the website for awhile after the annual meeting. I have promised the family that I will find it and send an electronic copy to them.

The bi-line was the oldest and youngest Durant enthusiasts.

I talking to the family today, the comment was the Mr. Howland really enjoyed the time at the old factory, and it gave him a big uplift. Well it gave us a big uplift that day as well. I know that I will remember for a long time the events of that annual meeting.

One suggestiion that I would make is that we include a short article about Mr. Howland in the next issue of the Durant Partner.

Our prayers are with the family.

Though I did not have the pleasure of meeting Mr."Rocky" Howland, It is appearent that he was ...center stage... at the 2004 meeting and that with his passing brings the end to an "era". I believe that Charles's idea about an artical in the partner would be " Grand". My condolences to the family.

I have reposted two pictures of Rocky at the top of this Forum, you can see the second by clicking on the first.

Below is a link to the 2004 meet were you'll see more pictures of Russell Howland AKA Rocky.

Rick

http://clubs.hemmings.com/clubsites/durant/events/DMAC%20NJ%202004/index.html

Where Are You From? clubs.hemmings.com/clubsites/durant/events/DMAC%20NJ%202004/index.html

Russell Rocky Howland
HOWLAND Russell Rocky Howland Plant operator, 99 Russell Rocky Howland, 99, of Kenilworth died Wednesday, July 18, 2007, in Runnells Specialized Hospital, Berkeley Heights. Relatives and friends are kindly invited to attend the funeral services on Monday, July 23, at 11 a.m. in the Mastapeter Funeral Home, 400 Faitoute Ave., Roselle Park. Interment will be in Rosedale Memorial Park. Visitation is on Sunday from 6 to 9 p.m. Born in Elizabeth, Mr. Howland lived in Rahway, Edison and Linden before moving to Kenilworth 21 years ago. He was a plant operator for the Exxon Refinery in Linden for many years, retiring 38 years ago. Mr. Howland was a member of the Union County Boxing Association and was inducted into the Union County Boxing Hall of Fame in the 1950s. He was predeceased by his son, Robert. Surviving are his wife of 75 years in October, Arlean (nee Varner); one daughter, Florence Diane Killeen, and her husband, William; three granddaughters, Debbie, Nancy and Cathy, and four great-granddaughters, Ashley, Michael, Mike and Nicole.
Published in the Star-Ledger on 7/21/2007.

Where Are You From? obits.nj.com/StarLedger/DeathNotices.asp?Page=LifeStory&PersonId=91092826

Rocky's obituary can be accessed at

http://obits.nj.com/StarLedger/DeathNotices.asp?Page=LifeStory&PersonId=91092826 or by clicking the little computer icon on the left side of this message.
A posting has been made to his guestbook on behalf of the club.

Rick

Where Are You From? obits.nj.com/StarLedger/DeathNotices.asp?Page=LifeStory&PersonId=91092826

The Durant Motors Automobile Club