Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Rear seat springs

My 26 Star is a frame off restoration -- hardly a flaw now, inside and out. However, the rear seat (2 door) seems "soft," but not lumpy, likely relating to springs. Is this the nature of the beast, or are there correction opportunities?

Do You own a car built by Durant? 26 Star "R" 2 door coach

Re: Rear seat springs

Hi Ron, I don't know if you used the originals or not? When I was hunting down springs for my 25 Star you had to be sure you specified the seat or the back because they are different ga. coils. The seats were 10 or 11 ga. and the backs were about 13 ga. If you had a back spring in the seat area it would be very soft. Just a thought.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 25 Star Toring

Sir Greg: The existing rear seat springs are likely the original ones -- as I am told the car was in superb condition when it was disassembled and reassembled in about as pure condition humanly possible. The interior upholstery is flawless. I was primarily wanting to know if anyone was aware of a "softer" agenda in those years regarding seat structure. Can certainly live with it, just wondering if there was any reason to try and firm them up.. Cordially, Ron

Do You own a car built by Durant? 26 Star "R" 2 door coach

Hey Ron, Sorry that I tried to help with your situation. It sounds like you bought a car restored by someone else and you really don't know what was done. I'm just a hick from WI that restored a car my father had purchased 57 years ago for $15.00 and did most of it myself. It sounds like you have a car someone else restored and you don't know much about it. The professional shop I used to do my interior advised me not to use the original springs because they would not perform as new. If your flawless interior has the original springs it will still be 80 years old. If you can lift out the seat and look at the springs you should be able to see if they are new springs that are made to be 80 years old or if they are 80 year old springs that are painted to be new. Sorry if I insulted your intelligence. Good luck with your seat.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 25 Star Toring

The Durant Motors Automobile Club