Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
I need help identifying a Continental Engine

Hi Everyone,

I need help identifying a 4 cylinder engine that a friend has. It came out of a field and was being used as a water pump engine. It has overhead valves but no valve cover, Tillison carburator and Durant style clutch and throw out bearing. The generator number-GH-1036 indicates it was used in a 1923-26 A22 Durant but I don't know what the model engine is. Would it be a W-4 or ? Also once identified, he will need some parts and wonders if there is a need for this type of engine. I have some pictures but can't figure how to attach so will send them to you if it will help.

Thanks in advance, Phil Peters 503.244.1608

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1929 Model 60

Re: I need help identifying a Continental Engine

Here are Phil's pictures.

Rick

Hi Phil.....

That's an engine out of an A-22 Durant. The early ones had the vaccum tank mounted on the exhaust manifold , so this is a later one.

Yes there should be a valve cover.

There should be a cast in date on the engine. I think it is on the water pump side.

I always thought these were "Anstead" engines. Maybe some one else can verify.

Hope this helps....Frank ---

Do You own a car built by Durant? Now 13 Durant & Star cars & a Durant Dort buggy

Hi Phil

That is definatly a 1923 and later A-22 engine...The engine should have a felt pad which lays directly on the rocker assembly with a valve cover having 24 1/4" holes to allow oiling...I have always thought the model of the engine was also refered to as an A-22...I don't have it here, but one of the hardback books that I have on Durant, the Author breifly mentioned the A-22 engines being manufactured by Continental Motors at their Muncie Ind. plant and the larger 6 cylinder B-22 was in fact an Anstead...Their doesn't seem to be much Information available on either engine that I have found...Bill

Thanks Frank and Bill. I think we are on the right track now. Regards, hil

Definetly an 1923 A22 Motor - Vaacuum Tanks were mounted on the parallel horizontal exhaust manifold pipe model up to and including 1925 - In New Zealand this was moved to the bulkhead on arrival as they boiled and vapourised the petrol before it could get to the carburettor. I proved this in 1959 when I moved it back to the manifold to make it original. I have two blocks same as pictured and lots of bits and pieces if that is of any help. The carburettor is original by the look of it. What ever you do don't throw it away. Regards Graham

Do You own a car built by Durant? A 22 SPORT TOURER

Thanks Graham, now that we have identified the engine he will decide whether to rebuild it or not. Either way, it won't be thrown out. Regards, Phil

The Durant Motors Automobile Club