Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Painting Your Car

Don Shilling in a recent post mentioned color sanding. As a "Do It Yourself" person, I would like to see an article both for the website and the Durant Partner on painting your car. I do not recall ever seeing anything about painting a car in the Durant Partner or our website. Would be great to have it from Metal Preparation to Color Sanding.
Not having a paint booth I spray my cars and parts outside. One of my problems is that after I get my paint mixed the wind starts blowing, which creates
small trash particles sticking to the fresh paint.
Here in North Carolina with the heat and high humidity
it draws a small bug called a gnat that loves to get in your face while you are spraying. I solved that problem by cutting the seat out of my pants to draw them away from my face, but then they also love wet paint.
In all seriousness, somebody get the ball rolling and lets discuss the best method for painting our cars.

Your Durant Partner

Yates

Re: Painting Your Car

Good Idea! I'll get started on a text file describing my process and when I start painting the Star Coupes I'll create a photo series of each step.

Don

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1923 Star Touring, 1927 Star Coupe

Don,
Sounds great... Thanks for your efforts as I know it will be time consuming. I wonder if there are others in the club that do most of there restoring? Have you done any Touring or Roadster tops? Doris and I will try to do a top for our 23 Touring. Thanks again..

Yates

My '23 touring will also need a top. I have a poor set of irons from a '24, which are the same, but will need to find someone that can rebuild these. Also, I will need a set of bows.

don

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1923 Star Touring, 1927 Star Coupe

It would also be helpful if folks would post tips on how to prep and paint small parts. I'm always trying to clean-up and paint individual parts using spray cans. With a lot of work and a little luck, they come out fine. I'm sure, however, there's a better way or some good tips on doing this.

Any hints?

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1925 Star Touring.

regarding top bow replication...try hullco restorations in layton, nj. 1-973-948-4380...ask for doug hull and tell him gary gave you the name. he is probably not cheap..but he can make anything like that
...at least i saw him do it before....regards, gary k

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1929 durant 70 coupe and a 1930 6-14 standard sedan

I dont know how much help this is -but I have a friend here that does a lot of painting. He built a framework and covered it with plastic sheeting --(In his shop.) Built a door for access and am opening right near the floor which he used as a suction port -He wets the floor to keep the dust down then uses his shop vaccum to suck the air thru the port . Seems to work pretty good from what I have seen of it.
Guess I am pretty lucky here too--I have a friend who is a machinist.-the guy is a genius when it comes to fabricating anything from metal. Any parts I cant repair or replace I get George to make
Hope some of you can use this info to build your own paint booth
Ken

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1930 durant-model 614- deluxe rumble seat coupe

Yates: As a follow up to what Ken said I built a plastic garage to paint cars in and I constructed it from PVC 1 1/2 with threaded fittings so you can take it apart. If you do build one make sure you ground the plastic or it will generate static like crazy. I use the blower side of my shop vac to preasurize the unit but make sure your wash it out first and put in a new filter. Don't use the vac. side as you will suck explosive fumes into it. Make sure you wet down the floor as mentioned. Paint as early in the morning as possible is it will get how in the unit and you will have less bugs. Get a Zipper unit which tapes in place and use it for entry and exit. I cut a hole in the side and mount a box with a furnace filter in it for the exhaust. In England i helped a gentleman take a old camping tent and replace the sides with screening mesh and he used it for a paint booth and it worked quite well.
Have fun.
Jan

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1924 Star Coupe

The Durant Motors Automobile Club