Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
generator again

Well the joke is on me because I did not proof read what I wrote. I had ask a question about the wining on the generator. I have a 1923 A22 durant touring car. I had to put all new wiring in the car. I went by the wiring diagram. ^The diagram showes an old coil and so one wire goes from the outside trimal to the switch but the wire from the inside trimal goes to the coil, when you use a newer 6-volt coil you can not do that so would I be right if I ran that wire to a ground trimal. Thank you

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1923 A22 touring car

Re: generator again

Bobby,
Any coil you use will have to have a circuit from the ignition switch to the coil and thence from the coil to the distributer.
At looking at the wiring diagram for your car, there is a wire coming from the ignition switch to the ballast resistor on the original coil. The circuit then goes thru the ballast resistor, thru the primary winding and then to the coil. There should be a separate low voltage connection on the coil for the wire going to the distributer.
On a "modern" 6 volt coil, I "Think" the + connection goes to the ign switch and the - goes to the distributer. I always have to check the books on that one.

Don

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1923 Star Touring, 1927 Star Coupe

Re: generator again

Bobby,

In addition to what Don has mentioned, there was a condensor mounted inside the old original "mail box" type coil, you will need to install a condensor when converting to a modern 6 volt coil...Bill

The Durant Motors Automobile Club