Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Steam Oil

I was looking at the lube chart for my 1930 Durant Deluxe Sedan and notices some strange oil types.

Does anyone know where to find a local Southern California source for 600wt Steam Oil or Dixon No 672 Graphie Grease for the universals?

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1930 Durant Deluxe Sedan

Re: Steam Oil

Steam cylinder oil is known as GL-1 lubrication. It is sold at different farm equipment dealers as worm gear oil. Worm wheels are made from brass and this oil doesn't have the additives that attack brass at high temperature. Sometimes you'll find an oil for outboard motor bottom ends that says it meets GL-1 specs. Shouldn't be hard to find at any power transmission supply house. It is also used in old Ford tractors. The reason it might be used in a Durant is that some of the bushings in the driveline may be made of brass.

Graphited grease is a pretty old formula. There are better greases, just about any of those sold in farm-supply stores would work. For example lithium grease, or moly grease.

Do You own a car built by Durant? yes

Re: Steam Oil

Hi All.....

The 600 W oil is available from any of the Old Ford parts suppliers.

I always have it in stock and bring some to the meets.

Frank ---

Do You own a car built by Durant? A dozen Durant & Star cars & a Durant Dort buggy

The Durant Motors Automobile Club