Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Rugby, 1929

My name is Jacek. I'm from Krakow, Poland. Together with my friends we have restored a 1929 Rugby.
It's a bus which was built on Rugby L chassis in Krakow. It's a one from a set of twenty three identical buses which were used in our city until
1936. All the buses were built in company Orlicki in Krakow. Besides Rugby, KMKE - Krakow municipal transport company (today MPK SA) used Durant 40 and Federal six, all as buses. During the WWII all the cars were destroyed, apart from our one – it was the only one to be kept in special circumstances. In 1987 the bus was discovered by Mr. Zabrocki. This year
the bus has been reverted to our company, which is also its original owner.
The Rugby is in good condition. Of course it needs general renovation, but many parts seem to be good. Today we have polish frame with axles.
The main work concentrates on wooden body, but engine and gearbox need a lot of work.
Unfortunately when we bought the car, it had been totally disassembled. The engine itself is disassembled and incomplete – we're in need of a
distributor cap, a carburetor and a starter. Of course, this small list is not comprehensive. Anyway, if anyone could sell us the listed parts – we would be thankful.

If it is possible, I need your help. I am looking for photographs and repair manuals of the following parts: head and rear lights, engine and gearbox. Thanks in advance.
Our car is probably the oldest bus in Poland. Furthermore, this year we have a jubilee: 80 years of bus service in Kraków, so we are going to present
it (among our other buses of course) on September 8th. Naturally, it's not the only historical vehicle we have; our depots host four more historical buses and fourteen (ready to run) historical trams. Some of them can be seenon our website:
http://www.mpk.krakow.pl/index.php?idp=1000+1013+1014+1042#item1189

Do You own a car built by Durant? Rugby, 1929

Re: Rugby, 1929

Jacek
Let me be one of the first to welcome you to the Durant forum, and to say it is a great thing that you are restoring this vehicle to its former glory. What a great history of Durant/Rugby in the city of Krakow. With the destruction of your city in WWII it is remarkable that even one of these buses survived. The members of this club are great for helping anyone restore their vehicle, so all you have to do is post what you need here on the forum and I'm sure someone will be able to help you. Please send pictures as the restoration progresses so we all can see the bus. Good luck!

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1928 Model 65 4dr

Our Rugby above 78 years ago and today:

Durant Kraków

Durant Kraków

You can see our Rugby bus from Krakow on that website:
http://galeria.funthomas.info/search.php?search_keywords=Rugby
However, I am still looking for parts of engine.

well men, what kind of engine would there be in this bus...what did rugby use? ARE THEY NUMBERED LIKE THE DURANTS....AND WHICH NUMBER WOULD IT BE THAT JACEK NEEDS? ANY INFORMATION ?
....REGARDS, GARY K

Do You own a car built by Durant? MODEL 70 COUPE AND 1930 6-14 SEDAN

It is a six cylinder 14L engine. Since it's an original Durant's engine, the numbering is the same.
If you meant spare parts numbers - I have no idea which ones could those be. The parts we need the most are exhaust manifold and carburettor.

well, who has a 14l engine for parts?...that must be somewhere in our collection....anybody wanna help out?????

Do You own a car built by Durant? MODEL 70 COUPE AND 1930 6-14 SEDAN

%%bbCodeItem_1%%

Jacek---did you ever check for parts , with Doug Lester? If not let me know and I'll look up his e-mail info.

The works with our Rugby's engine renovation are undergoing. However,
I have a slight problem. The oil strainer and relevant oil
distribution pipes have not been saved. Does anybody have a blueprint
or a photograph of engine's interior, which would depict the pipe
layout? I would be deeply grateful for each piece of advice. How does
oil slump look from inside? How were its two parts installed? Which
part is the one the oil strainer drains from?
While my questions might sound weird, please consider the fact that
the engine was lying on ground for 50 years, so several parts
installed at the bottom have been damaged.

Jacek,

I don't have a schematic, but this link will take you to pictures of my 14L while it was being torn down for rebuilding.

Rick

http://clubs.hemmings.com/clubsites/acorn/bin/Under14L/index.html

Where Are You From? clubs.hemmings.com/clubsites/acorn/bin/Under14L/index.html

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1929 Model 60 Sport Roadster

Thank you

do any club members think that my 27 star 14l motor would work in the rugby bus .the motors totally complete and runs well ,i also have a rear exit manifold if it takes that type,this motor also includes a clutch and center coupler, i have a trans 3spd. also . themotor has a upgraded carb . shipping would be a problem ,mybe ken my delivery service in kamloops is heading that way soon ??

Do You own a car built by Durant? 26 STAR 6 SEDAN

Brian:
I would think that all the 14L engines would be the same. I know that the Rugby trucks with the W5 engines were all the same engine. The only thing in the trucks they had brutal differential gears - like 7:1 and the like.

Gord

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1932 Frontenac

Brian
Your delivery system would be happy to assist but the road to Krakow from here has been washed out. Think maybe they had some extremely heavy rains since the last trip . The way I hear it there is a lot of water on the road for a long stretch a bit too deep for my truck . No pontoons.
Ken

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1930 Durant model 614 Deluxe rumble seat coupe

ken could that moose u have wade thruogh the deeper sections?
comin that way soon i,ll give you a call 1st.
brian

hello gord
i think you are right,bore and stroke and the fact that the distributor timing is controlled by a rod between cyls is the only dif.would the bus probably have a 4spd trans. i think so.if they are in a hurry for their meet this maybe the way to go .the only thing i can think of is that if they are planning on a lot of use it may need a rering job,but it would shurly get them through the celabration.delivery would be the problem,ken seems to be a sunny day delivery service only.
brian

Do you need the strainer in the oil pan? Or the filter bolted to the side of the block? How's your oil pan?

Dave

Jacek,
I have an oil distribution pipe, oil strainer (in pan), and oil pan. Contact me at schulte3@mepotelco.net if interested.

Dave

Great thanks to Rick and Dave for help with searching for engine
parts. Despite some difficulties, I have managed to acquire lacking
engine components.
I hope Rugby will be able to drive by itself for the first time by the
end of Summer. Keep in mind that the last time it was in service, was
September 1939.
The works with engine coexist with other renovation performed to
properly equip the car.
I am in need of rear lamps that suit this model. The ones currently
installed are based upon photographs and information provided by you.
I am also looking for a proper horn.
I shall be grateful for any help.

Where Are You From? Krakow, Poland

Do You own a car built by Durant? Rugby, 1929

Jacek,
Contact Frank Witkowski about a carburetor. He sells brand new Zenith replacements.

Dave

The Durant Motors Automobile Club