Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
U Bolts

My frame is painted, the axles and springs are painted, and I am putting things back together. On my front Axel the U bolts are different. The right side looks like a normal bolts made from just round stock, bent and threaded. But on the left side the stock material was twice as thick and machined down on the inside so to form a half circle the diameter is smaller where it is threaded. I need to know what is correct. This is on a 25 Star 2 dr Sedan Model F. The left side was hit at some point in time as the axel was bent and the springs were incorrect so the bolts were possibly changed at this time. The flat half circle bolts as what looks like the number 74303 on it. Thanks for any help Eliot

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1925 Star Model F 2 dr Sedan

Re: U Bolts

Eliot, my 25 touring has round stock u bolt on the rear axle but the front are flattened off on the inside and form a square top as they go down over the frt. spring bracket. Hope this helps. Glenn

Do You own a car built by Durant? 25 Star

Thanks, that is what I kind of thought after looking how they fit around the brackets. Now what I need is 2 more U bolts, any body out there that can help me with this?

Eliot
I have both the square bolts and 1 only of the round stock bolt. The square ones are 2 inches inside and the round is 3 1/16 inside . Does this sound like they will do the job? These are from a 1930 model 614 durant

Ken

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1930 durant--deluxe rumble seat coupe--model 614

My square ones are about 2 13/16 inside and about 5 1/8 long so not sure if they would work, probably a little big. But thanks. Any one else will a couple of spares?

Eliot, are you sure that the inside meas. is 2 13/16?
It should be more like 2 3/16, if so i have 2 in my spares. 2 3/16 X 5 1/8 Glenn

Eliot, one more try, forget my last post, the u bolts should meas. 1 13/16 X 5" and i still have 2.
Glenn

Ya, I was wrong they are 1 13/16 X 5 in. I will send you an e-mail. Thanks, one more problem taken care of, several thousand to go.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1925

The Durant Motors Automobile Club