Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
leaky u joints

Anyone have a fix for a leaky u joint between the throw out brg and transmision? Leaks out of the ends. Also both drive shaft u joints leak at the slip covers. The cork seals are worn. Oh, the front joint is not the rubber ball type. This is a 25 Star. thanks,
Glenn

Do You own a car built by Durant? 25 Star

Re: leaky u joints

Glenn, Last week I coaxed apart a rusty joint assy that was hanging on a '25 Star engine. I was pondering that same question and looking for evidence as I was taking it apart.
I think there should be a very thin paper gasket on each side of the spacer and a felt ring seals fitted to the yokes where they stick out of the tin covers. The oil level probably should only come up to just below these felt seals. A little touch of pipe thread lube probably wouldn't hurt on the oil plug.

Don

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1923 Star Touring, 1927 Star Coupe

Don, thanks for the reply, I was thinking of making washers of thin leather for the ends. Do you think they would hold up? I have mixed chassis lube with the 600wt to stiffen it up some. Glenn

Yup! Any kind of dust seal will do the trick. There should be little to no angular movement at this point so you could make the seal fit rather snug.
I forgot to mention to use paper or cork gasket at the tin cover flange as well.
Don

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1923 Star Touring, 1927 Star Coupe

Don, I located some neoprene washers 2"X 1/16 thick at Home Depot, cut out the center, seems to be OK. I used RTV sealer on the shields at the center. Only time will tell. I Am still looking for seals for the drive shaft ujoint shields. I read somewhere to use orings, National # 336, meas 2 7/8 x 3 1/4. This is the right size but have not been able to locate. Anyone out there have any??? Glenn

The Durant Motors Automobile Club