Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
12v Gen Cut Out

I seem to remember someone posting that they had their generator cutout relay changed out to allow the generator to put out 12 Volts. Anyone have info on this? Glenn

Do You own a car built by Durant? 25 Star

Re: 12v Gen Cut Out

Hello Glenn,
I am no expert on automotive electrical but I do believe that you will need to have your generator and starter motor rewound for 12 volts.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1929 Durant Model 60

I found out from Rick Botti the people to contact are John Reagan at Fun Stuff -
piewagon@gmail.com - The ones that do this stuff -
Here is his answer - For it to work at all the generator must be a perfectly good adjustable 3rd brush type generator.The customer must bear all the risk of it not working since we don't have the time to engineer custom units. We have built units for Dort, Star, various Chrysler Corp cars back to 29 as well as Buick and Chev in the 30's. The cost is a flat $100 plus shipping to build the regulator into custo supplied cutout. They take a few weeks and are tested on a gen. here before shipping. Glenn

Correction on the name of the company, they are in our Durant Parts And Services Directory, the name is John F Regan Fun Projects, under voltage regulators.
Rick says his works fine. Glenn

You won't need to rewind the starter assuming the insulation is good. You will need a 12 volt coil and also will need to put a resistor in series with any gauges that are electric as well as change light bulbs.

Cars and Parts had a running dialogue on 6 to 12 volt conversions last year.

I may be wrong but I thought that the coils on modern 12 volt cars (points ignition) were 6 volt -- either internally or externally ballasted. As I recall my '65 GTO used an external ballast resistor mounted next to the coil.

I seem to recall being told that if you run your vehicle without the resistor you can burn points and the coil will have a meltdown.

If this is true all you would need is a resistor of the same resistance value as the primary side of your coil with the appropriate wattage rating.

Curt

Where Are You From? home1.gte.net/res02rxl/index.html

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1929, model 40

Go to http://autozone.com and search on ballast resistor.

Where Are You From? home1.gte.net/res02rxl/index.html

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1929, model 40

The Durant Motors Automobile Club