Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
rust removal

I just heard of a method of removing rust without a lot of wire brush work . Sounds easy and the fellow that told me of it tried it --he says its great
All you need is a plastic container big enough to hold the rusted part . a battery charger -and some WASHING soda ( baking soda might work to ) the instructions are on google --type in -electrolyticrust.com
sounds easy . Has anyone heard of this ??If so --how is it ?? does it work well?
Let us know and maybe we can have it put it the tech pages - or special interest --or something
Ken

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1930 deluxe rumble seat coupe model 614

Re: rust removal

There was an earlier post on this a couple of months ago. About the same time I was completing a removal vat of my own that consisted of the lower third of a 55 gal plastic drum.
Around the inside of this vat I placed six 3/4" rebar anodes, positioned vertically, and secured to the vat at the top ends with wire cable clamps. On the outside I attached 4 ought cable to the clamps to connect all the rebar. Notches cut on opposite sides to the top rim held a copper rod to hang the work from.
Stainless steel welding rod was formed into hooks to hang the work pieces.
I filled the vat with water to just below the level of the cable clamps and added three containers of common salt.
A battery charger is connected positive (+) to the anode cable and negative (-)to the copper work bar.
Set the charger to 6 or 12 volts, whichever will give you 12 to 15 amps of current. If everything is correct,you will notice bubbles almost immediately rising from the work.
At the time I was cleaning seat springs and doing about nine at a time. It took about four hours to clean and resulted in a dull black film on the surface of the springs which was very easy to clean with a commercial Scotch Brite pad. Heaver rusted sections were easily dusted with bead blast to give a clean shiny surface even in the pits. Painting was up to three days later.
This process creates a witches brew of scum on top of the water which can be skimmed off.
I used this solution three times before I dumped the vat and cleaned the anodes.
I've tried various other electrolytic solutions, including soda ash, but found that salt worked well and was cheapest to use. Washing SODA is almost impossible to find around here.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1923 Star Touring, 1927 Star Coupe

Don --
sure good to know that it works --I will be building a tamk for myself soon as I get done my house work --remodeling is worse than restoring a car
Ken

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1930 deluxe rumble seat coupe model 614

Don:
I have used this method for years and it does work quite well if you are not in a hurry. I have always used washing soda. Are you going to tell me that don't take baths out your way. I will try salt next time and see if it pickles the metal.
Have a nice day

Hey, I take a bath once a week, whether I need it or not! I got one coming up tomorrow, as a matter of fact. The dog sure likes me right now though,,,,,,,,,

I can find washing power and laundry detergent, but I can't find anything labeled "washing soda".

Don

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1923 Star Touring, 1927 Star Coupe

I would also like to find a source for Washing Soda. Heard of this method a few years ago and gave up on trying to find the Washing Soda. Think I'll try the internet and will let you know what I find.

Yates

Hi All,
I'm back with where to purchase Washing Soda. Try www.soapsgonebuy.com or call Toll Free 1-888-858-SOAP.
The site also gives insructions on removing grease and rust. It sell for $4.98 for a 55 ounce box or a case of 12 boxes for $52.00. Now I have to wait till payday.

Yates

Don: The only concern I would have with using salt is the forming of Clorine gas during the reaction. If this is in a confined area it could be a real problem of course you can also form hydrogen gas during the reaction. Washing soda is sodium carbonate and baking soda is sodium bicarbonate. Have a nice day, Jan

I tried the system with baking soda --It takes longer but sure does a nice job.when I find washing soda I will try it and see how it works
Ken

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1930 durant--deluxe rumble seat coupe--model 614

The Durant Motors Automobile Club