Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Brake lining

It seems like this rebuilding is a good learning experience.I just put new linings on my shoes for this 614 coupe . Frank asked if I wanted the 3/32 or 3 /16. I took the 3/16ths because thats what was on the shoes I had here from a coupe parts car .I guess I should have checked with all you members first . Now that the shoes are on the car I cant get the hubs over them . Now its a job for the good buddy with a machine shop to turn my hubs about 1/16 to 3/32nds bigger . I guess what I learned is that a deluxe had the 3/32 lining while the standard had the 3/16. Does that sound right to you guys ?? Seems strange but it looks like that to me.
Still working on the little beast and learning as I go. Probably never stop finding out new things about it .And that might be for the best . I expect when I have it all finished I will tear it all dobn and do it right. I know I have botched a few things and will want to fix them some day.
Ken

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1930deluxe rumble seat coupe model 614

Re: Brake lining

Ken:
I would be leery about turning the drums. If you make them too thin, you will have a lot of brake fade. Better to make the lining thinner or put on thinner lining.
Gord.

Do You own a car built by Durant? Frontenac

Doesn't sound right to me. Are you sure that you've adjusted the brakeshoes to as small a diameter as possible before putting the brake drums on? Are they hanging up on the ends? Maybe a little work with a rasp will help. Watch out for asbestos dust.

Do You own a car built by Durant? yes

Brakes are as small as I can get them . They are not hanging up on the ends . The drums are quite thick so I dont think I will be bothered with fade if I turn them a bit . Other than turning the drums the only thing would be to rasp the shoes down and I dont relish that idea atall. I took an old shoe that I had not removed the lining from and it is a tight fit in the drum. Any other suggestions of repair are sure welcome. I will try anything at least once .
Thanks
Ken

You might try mounting your drums on a brake lathe and checking for concentricity. If they run true, I wouldn't turn them any larger. Once that metal is gone, it's gone forever. Linings are cheaper than brake drums!

Don

When in college I worked at a tire store where I did a lot of brakes. We had a brake shoe laith that we used to true up the new shoes. I would suggest that you take your shoes to a brake shop and have them turn down the shoes rather than turn the drums. The drums may seem thick but that can be deceiving and if you turn them down too far you can't just go to your local parts house for new ones.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1925 Star Model F touring

Hello. You sure you got a 30 Durant 614? Durant cars 1930 and newer used a Midland Steeldralic “Band” not brake shoes. The band is highly adjustable and we have run a variety of different brake lining thickness’s and makes. None of the Drant cars ever had thick brake brake drums. You do not want to do any turning except to true them up. They are pressed cold steel, not cast iron. A real good idea is to put the after market Ford “Model” A” control bands over all your brake drums to absorb heat and control expansion. They have to be modified as “Model A” drums are 11” inside and ours are 11” outside. Lance Haynes

Where Are You From? www.lancedurant.com

Do You own a car built by Durant? Lots of them.

All the info I have and pictures I have seen show me brake shoes as I have on my car --and they require linings to be rivetted on the shoes . The brakes are steeldraulics in a T shape . One piece brake. I have the info for adjusting them and am working at it . I am not going to turn the hubs if it is atall avoidable -and then it will be very minimal . Just enough to true them up . Then I am going to grind down the shoes till I get the proper clearances. Dont worry guys --I know I need good brakes here in the mountains and I am not on a suicide watch list .I have two good friends that are registered mechanics --they will be my guide and helpers . I will keep you all posted
Ken

The Durant Motors Automobile Club