Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Which Distributor ??

On my 1923 Durant A-22 4-cylendar I currently have an Auto-Lite distributor. I have assumed that the distributor was missing some internal parts, specifically a movable plate for the points that would allow for spark advance. After attending the local AACA meeting last night, and with much discussion, I am thinking that the distributor is correct, the points plate is secure, and the timing advance takes place by turning the whole distributor housing on top of the generator.
Please help clearify:
Was the 1923 Durant distributor an Auto-Lite or Delco Remy??? I have an AUto-Lite 2-3/8" diameter on the car and a 3" diameter spare. Bill runs a Remy on his Durant.
Did the distributor advance take place by turning the whole distributor, or by an internal movable points plate like a Model A ford ???
Thanks for the info.
Jack

Re: Which Distributor ??

Hi Jack,
The Parts Book for the A-22 calls for an Auto Lite. The distributor on my 23 is cast aluminum and there is no ID tag to tell whether it was cast from an Auto-Lite or Delco. The plate inside slides when the spark is advanced which is part #1695 in the book. I imagine this just adds to the confusion. Would love to have an original distributor.

Yates

Yates, Thanks for the reply. At least I now know that I have the correct brand of distributor (Auto-Lite). Any lead on what the Auto-Lite number should be???

Now does anyone know if it is supposed to have a moveable points plate or just rotate the housing in the generator???

Thanks

Jack,
On my distributor it is an Auto-Lite Orginial. To set timing I have to rotate the distributor. The points plate is stationary.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1923 A22

Jack,
Part number on my Auto-Lite distributor is 1G387
Ken Brink

Thanks Ken and Jack,
I also contacted Robert Smith and Frank Witkowski who also have A-22's. Haven't heard back from Bob and Frank is going to do some looking for possible replacements. This discussion has opened my eyes to what might be wrong with my 23. After a few turns of the distributor the points close, which means the base plate could be slipping causing the points to close. Hope that makes sense.

Yates,
On my 1923 I had a problem with keeping my car runing after setting the points. Had a friend come over that works on Model A Fords. Told me to check and tighten the two screws under the distributor which holds the point plate in place. The plate would vibrate and close up the points. After that it has not caused me any runing problems. Also there is an adjustment screw on a post for setting the gape on the points which some times moves and changes the gape. It hacs been a while since this has happened to me so I am trying to go on memory.

Yates, Ken, Frank, Vince,

Here is what I have found so far on the A-22 Distributor and Parts for the original unit in my Durant.

It is Auto-Lite Distributor # IGW-4189. The points plate is fixed and the unit turns in the generator housing to advance timing. The local O'Rilley parts store was able to find the distributor # IGW-4189 in a listing for Continental Industrial Engine and match it to Borg Warner parts. The Distr. is 2-1/4" diameter.
Dist. Cap--Borg Warner C-131
Rotor --Borg Warner D-91B
Condenser --B Warner G-127
Now I think I have the original distributor in my Durant and will move on to other parts.
I also have another Auto-Lite distributor that Bill Hoaglan sent me. It is #IAD-4008....10E It is also "fixed point plate" but is larger at 3" diameter. Will try to find out what it fits.
Thanks for all the info.
GO DURANT CLUB!!!

Hi Jack and All,
Are all these parts available and would it be possible to order from the parts store you mentioned??
Jack, what a great find....Hope to see all of you fellows in Auburn in Sept.

Your Durant Partner......

Yates

Yates,
Any parts store in your area that carries Borg Warner ignition parts should be able to get these for you using these numbers. I paid about $20 for distributor cap, rotor and condenser.
If you cannot find them locally, I will be happy to forward a set for you.

Jack

The Durant Motors Automobile Club