Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Taol light lens and ring

Thought I had posted this --but guess I missed --
I am in need of a tail light lens and the crome ring for it Does anyone have one to sell ?

Do You own a car built by Durant? 30 durant deluxe rumble seat coupe

Re: Taol light lens and ring

Hi Ken....

What style do you need? Is your bucket round or oval shaped??

Frank ---

Do You own a car built by Durant? a dozen Durants & Stars cars & a Durant-Dort buggy

Frank
My bucket is round . I have one but need the second for turn signals that I am putting on the car. I should have known you would have one .As a matter of fact I could also use a bucket,the one I have is in pretty bad shape. Let me know the price Frank.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 30 durant deluxe rumble seat coupe

Ken-I keep forgetting what type of car you have but I think it's a 6-14 or 4-07. The original type of taillight was a 'two way' housing (faintly stamped on the top of the housing)with a beehive red lens. Many cars used a similiar housing and similiar year and later Mopars used this same chrome rim and lens. The rare ones were glass with 'Durant' stamped in the upper portion of the lens (probably aftermarket). Although the DFR used to have plastic repros made.

Ken:

If you go to my December 25th, 06 note in this forum, you will see there, drawings of different tail lights that may orient you.

Regards

Ricardo

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yes

Re: Tail light lens and ring

Hi guys
my lens should be the two section one with durant printed across the top and a bee hive lower part .
I have one -but need the second for turn signals.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1930deluxe rumble seat coupe model 614

Hi again
Sorry .I got side tracked before I was done --My tail light is like the no 28 in Ricardo's drawings with durant printed in the top section.
Thanks Ricardo --pictures do help a lot
Ken

Kens 614 isn't like any of those lenses. Beehive at bottom and Durant etched into the top red glass, if you are lucky to find one of those (Durant)ones. I had a brand new lens and door I gave away a yr ago I'd had for over 40 yrs, still in the box.

The 30 - 32 614 or 407 lenses can be seen on Ebay from time to time. There is a Dodge set constantly on Ebay that are the same but who wants Dodge name in them. Plymouth, Dodge, Desoto. Durant and a few more are the same light, door and lense.

Look on the photo site for the 1932 618 now in Switzerland that has the lenses we used in Canada and some US cars.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1932 614 sedan J5222

Hello again
Norm .
My car has one tail light now. It is the first 28 that Ricardo shows in his drawings. Two portions with durant across the top , then a curved bar, and the beehive below. I would like to get one like it to make it match up.I have the buckets--but one is quite bad so a new one would be good . Otherwise I will have quite a job restoring the old beat up thing . I have enough to do now --dont need more work.
thanks guys
Ken

Yes--the durant in switzerland is just the right tail light --thats what I need
Ken

What I did was take one of the plastic repros that the DFR had made and then took a plain glass beehive lens (that turn up from time to time on ebay or at swap meets), and have a glass engraving shop copy the 'font' from the plastic. Then just paint the letters white.Probably too much trouble when you can just use the plastic repros.

Even the plastic repro would do me fine. I am trying to put the car on the road. I can fine tune later with all the good trim. Meanwhile I will use wharever will work. Amyone know where I can find one ??
Thanks
Ken

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1930 delauxe rumble seat coupe model 614

There is one of these rings complete with lense for sale on eBay right now. It is an original type, but does not have the "DURANT" name in it. Right now at $5.50 item 300089300385
Gord

Do You own a car built by Durant? Frontenac

Thanks Gord--I am watching it and have a bid in on two lenses Item170087922575 hope to get them
I will be bidding on the other as soon as I find out about these two
Thanks for you help
Ken

Ross, Where would I find a glass engraver? Do you have an address for the one you used?

Thanks, Dave

Lots of tail lights on Ebay. Jon Oliver has the mold and puts them on regularly. Ken got a set off Jon and mine are on their way. If you look in DMAC mag Neil Butters advertises the lenses with Durant in them for $20 US.
Another thought is doing it yourself. Isn't there a kit you can buy to etch glass at a hobby shop ?
Norm

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1932 614 sedan J5222

The Durant Motors Automobile Club