Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Looking for Wood and Chroming possibilities

Hey everyone, any info on the type of wood used in the doors and cab of a 29 Durant?, anyone good at replacing and matching, near Maryland. I've got alot of work to do !!!

Also, how about reasonable chroming shops, if thats possible ?

Thanks Dave

Do You own a car built by Durant? Working on 29 Durant M-2

Re: Looking for Wood and Chroming possibilities

Hi Dave.... I guess everyone has their own opinion about the type of wood to use, but I think it best to use white ash. It is a good wood to work with and is a "little" cheaper than oak. I made new body sills for my Flint last year on a bridgeport mill and it also machines nice!
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
The best chrome shop that I know of is Paul's over in Mars Pennsylvania... but certainly not the cheapest! You can find his address in Hemmings. Hope this helps

Perfect. Thanks

Do You own a car built by Durant? Working on 29 Durant M-2

Yes I've just been told white ash is the better wood and don't buy it from the local lumber yard but a saw mill out in the country, where its cheaper. Ash has fewer knots and won't splinter with all the hundreds of nails I have to put into the roof area.
Orig was oak or maple up here.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1932 614 sedan J5222

The Durant Motors Automobile Club