Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Roofing material

I will soon be looking for material to cover the roof on this car. What kind of stuff should I be getting ?? I know padding and chicken wire - but the main top has to be a sort of oil cloth . Does anyone know what it is called and where it can be bought ??
Thanks
Ken

Do You own a car built by Durant? 30 deluxe rumble seat coupe Model 614

Re: Roofing material

There's short and long grain roof material which should be available near you at a auto roofing repair place or speciality shops for hot rods etc. Haven't looked into any of that so far but I understand we have several places in Ottawa that carry the material, fender welt, banding, etc. Perhaps Moirs (Edmonton ?) or places like him should have it, too.
Was stupid I didn't ask where the shop was when I bought the 32. The former owner said there was a place near him who carried all that stuff plus uphostery material as well, for antique cars. Maybe I'll contact him in the future if I need something or can't find it. I understand one of our D owners had his car roof redone in the last few yrs at a shop here.
Norm

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1932 614 sedan J5222

Hi Ken......

Depending on the way your original roof is done, there are kits available. If it is just an insert in the top, look at Model A Ford suppliers, most offer a kit for the sedans that works well for our cars.

Usually these kits contain the Cobra Grain outer material, all the padding, hidem-welt and adhesives needed. I do stock these kits, but shipping to you would probably be too costly. Maybe you need to make another "road trip" over to my place.

If you have a coupe or sedan that has the quaters also covered in top material, you will need to have some material sewn together to cover this. Again you can purchase just the outer material from these suppliers.

A good source of "how to" would be contained in some of the Ford publications, there are some tricks to getting it streched. Being warm is the first start, and even pressure will get you a nice looking top.

Hope this helps.......Frank ---

Do You own a car built by Durant? A dozen Durant & Star cars & a Durant Dort buggy

Hi Frank, figured you would but he should have suppliers in BC handy and cheaper than our unroyal mail. It was on the tip of my tongue to mention you, but the word Ford caught in my throat. Billy should have bought Ford in 1908 and put it out of its misery.
Norm

Guys don't knock Ford vendors when it comes to supplies. There are hundreds of them and only on Frank for Durant. I have used MAC auto for upholster and top material and you can get it in long and short grain and it usually comes with instructions. You can also search the web for instructions to install a top in a Model A, its all the same.
Jan

Hi Ken,

If you would like to see these all Topping materials or would like free samples go to http://www.lebaronbonney.com/topping.htm They also have all The welting, welting tips ect. I believe that their long grain cobra(sold by the leniar) is wide enough to reach across most cars if you need to wrap the quarters...Bill

Its ok guys, its with tongue in cheek thing to Frank. I had a 1909 Ford and 31 Ford at one time. After all Durant's are an assembled car and believe me even more so after Dominion Motors took over Durant Motors to produce the 614 - 618 and Frontenac here in Canada mid 1931 to the end. Piece from this and a part from that. Could even be half Durant, half Frontenac and there is one Fronty in Ont like that from factory. Don't know if Ken gets Old Auto's published in Bothwell Ont twice a month, but it lists many venders of old car items. www.diamondtrim.com for complete uphostery services. Dixie's Upholstry www.dixies.com 92 Harber Ave Kitchener On N0C 1Z2 for all T & A top / interior ,engine sheet etc and coast to coast. www.autorestorationsupply.com is another. Mac's is also listed www.macsautoparts.com ... looks like www.cartouchupholstrey.com is the supplier to Mac's per the ad. www.diamondtrim.com is another and I'm sure I saw George Moir's 1 Boulder Blvd, Stoney Plain AB in the paper also.
These are some of the ads. Then blasting and painting, insurance, parts, etc etc. Its about a 55 - 60 page paper www.oldautos.ca

Yellow pages for your city should also have suppliers.

Hey Norm......

That's OK. The Ford guys pay the bills so I can aFord to offer the Durant & Star stuff.

I agree, it would be a lot easier if Henry hadn't want cash and Billy would have bought the company. But it sure wouold not be as interesting........

Frank ---

Do You own a car built by Durant? a dozen Durants & Stars cars & a Durant-Dort buggy

Hirsh automotive has roofing material. They will send samples on request. I just purchased a leather-like vinyl from them. The material is 50" wide sold by the yard. The material I bought was less than $20 per yard.

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yes, 1931 DeVaux

Dennis
Where is Hirsh automotive located? Do they have an E mail addy ? That sounds like what I want .
Phone number or address to get in touch with them would be good
Thanks to all you guys for your input
Ken

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1930 delauxe rumble seat coupe model 614

Hi Ken,
Hirsch has a website www.hirschauto.com and the telephone # is 973-642-2404. I found them to be very reliable with a good quality material.

Yates

Ken,
Forgot to tell you the address. Hirsch Automotive Products, 396 Littleton Ave., Newark, NJ 07103.

Yates

Yates
Thank you , I will be in touch with them right soon . Going to need the stuff soon . This little beast is slowly coming together.
Nice to have such a great support group tp advise me when I run into trouble . Sure is a good club and I appreciate all the help I am getting. I just hope some day to meet a lot more of you than I have . Guess I will have to do as Frank Witkowsky suggested and make another road trip . Hope that anyone tracelling out western Canada way will call and stop by here as well .
Thanks Yates
Ken

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1930deluxe rumble seat coupe model 614

Ken,

I believe the long grain is the correct material, that is what Durant used on the Stars. Is your top an insert or does it have large 1/4 round members running fore and aft? If it is an insert, is there wood to tack the material to? If you will send me your e-mail address I will give the instructions of installing the material so that you have a good tight top when you finish. It must be done in warm or hot weather. I used this method on my 1927 Star 24 years ago and it is still tight.

Bob Porter
msrstar@juno.com

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yes

The Durant Motors Automobile Club