Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Hood padding

Can anyone tell me where to get the ribbon type padding that goes around the cowl amd rad shell under the hood .I dont even know what the darned stuff is called --ha ha ha .
Thanks for your help
Ken

Do You own a car built by Durant? yes

Re: Hood padding

Hi Ken........

Hood lacing is what you are talking about. I have it in stock for our cars.

Frank ---

Do You own a car built by Durant? A dozen Durant & Star cars & a Durant Dort buggy

Ken Yeah it's hood lacing.Usually about three quarters to an inch wide. i've seen it held on by the split rivets or by pan head screws.

Thanks guys
What is the price of the stuff Frank. I will slowly learn all the correct names for things --
Ken

Do You own a car built by Durant? yes

Hi All...

The special lacing that I stock is 7/8 inches wide with 2 "humps" or ridges, the screw or rivet goes between these 2 ridges.

The cost is $2.10 per foot plus shipping

Frank ---

Do You own a car built by Durant? a dozen Durants & Stars cars & a Durant-Dort buggy

Probably Ford lacing with those bumps to absorb the extra shock the A's have, eh Frank ? Unlike the smooth ride of a Durant or Frontenac.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1932 614 sedan J5222

Hi Norm.....

Actually not Ford lacing, this is the same as the original on some of my Durant & Star cars. It is a lot wider that Henry used.

I've got Model T & A Fords, and you are correct about the ride in Star & Durant cars being better !! Don't have a Frontenac yet so can't comment on their ride.

Frank ---

Do You own a car built by Durant? a dozen Durants & Stars cars & a Durant-Dort buggy

Re: Re: Hood padding

Frank you still have the webbing / padding / lacing AND split rivets ? I see Mac's has the rivets for less than a $1 a pkg but they won't send just the rivets. (must be too busy looking at Lance's goodies to answer my e to you a week ago )

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1932 614 Sedan

And Frank ??? ... must be still ogling Lance's goodies . I saw Mac's lacing kits for Ford A's but not sure its the same width. Doesn't show width or length of online. Seems to have the same look of the raised sides. Pity I was tunnel visioned at Odessa and Stirling flea markets in May, as one vendor had rolls of various kinds / widths of the lacing, plus window channel and and and ....for cars of the late 20's up. Me no pencil / paper and he no cards.

----- Original Message -----
To: witfrank@bellatlantic.net
Sent: Friday, November 23, 2007 6:27 PM
Subject: Re: Durant
Got to Dorothy (Durant)

Webbing is same shell and cowl. 3/4 inch wide with raised sides to allow screws / rivets be lower than the sides.

Shell 34 x 2
Cowl 44 x 2
64 + 88 = 156 div 12 = 13 ft

13 ft per my wife and she's "always" right. Better it be 14 ft at least not to cut it to fine.

To: witfrank@bellatlantic.net
Sent: Friday, November 23, 2007 3:37 PM
Subject: Re: Durant

Hi Frank

I remeasured the shell lacing and its exactly 3/4 inch wide, raised both sides. Shell is split rivets and cowl has flat screws. Can't get at Dorothy right now after our snow dumping to measure the width and length of the cowl lace / webbing (whatever you call it). I would assume the cowl is the same stuff. I was going to say same as the 619 but then even that differs to our 614 / 618's. I know the 619 hood is one inch shorter in length to the 32 and couldn't have used the Ford center strip and ends Lance used. (reason I need the B52 Mack Truck strip and ends. I have used 46 Dodge ends I got from an AACO member which I unwelded. 46 Dodge has idential end pieces but with additional part welded on to make the center part smaller by half. Complicated but the 46 doesn't have a center strip but an offset rod hidden in the hood. Looks like a center strip but isn't.) Even the solid 619 bumpers and bumper medallions are different to the Can 614 / 618, as are the handles.

Steve mentioned he's missing a few split rivets on his 60 so I was going to get extra to cover both of us (and any oops splitting them)

More problems is number of rivets. Shell is out being painted at present. I know the webbing is 6 ft shy an inch or two on the shell. (34 and 34 inch)
To chrome the shell its $1000 + and Valleyfield Que. Thanks to our ecology boys we don't have platers in Ottawa anymore and items get shipped to Montreal. Not daddy warbucks and loaded with $$. Steve knew of RLD Industries and you can look under www.rldindustries.ca at Cermakrone product of theirs. This would be around $125 mark to do the shell and looks like chrome. Downside is you can't fill the rust pits before using it and its applied to the bare metal. The shell has lots of pits and it you would see all this after. Next best solution was Extreme Chrome / Clear coated Polyester / Acrylic high gloss. This you can prime to fill pits and paint after. You don't have the shiny reflection like chrome but a gray sort of shine, and his sample card lain on top of a header done with Cermakrone, seemed to blend the same colour / look.

I note Lance sent you 30 - 32 crests which caught my eye. Still haven't uncovered the stone guard and crest that was orig on 31 / 32 614's by Dominion. Almost had one up in Thunder Bay until I lost him. My pc decided to play games and by time I got it back his addy didn't work and phone disconnected. My gson's mother and parents live up there and she tried also for me. Craig Carson seems to have melted into the tundra or something. Even had a lad up there looking for Mack parts drive over and ask a few neighbours if they ever heard of him, for me. Cool. All I had was a postal code which is Northern Ave. No luck.

Too bad you are 1/2 a world away to see what you have for the 30 - 32. No I am not a long distance traveller and driving to Tim Orrs to pick up the full set of 32 inside handles is about the extent of my other side of Toronto driving. One of my phobia's of not being able to drive home the same day.

I'll try to get at Dorothy to let you know length / width of cowl webbing.

Norm

To: ej938@freenet.carleton.ca
Sent: Friday, November 23, 2007 8:56 AM
Subject: Durant

Hi Norm.........

Yes I still have these items. Give me some dimensions of what you
need. The webbing on the rad shell is a common type, but the cowl is
some what unique. A lot of the original cowl webbing was held on with
small screws. Check what you need and let me know..........

Frank

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1932 614 Sedan

The Durant Motors Automobile Club