Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
26 Locomobile Touring - Jr 8

I looked a 26 Locomobile Touring Jr 8 yesterday and have found nothing pertaing to a Touring that year. The current owner who is also an old car buff found everything except a Touring in a research from the AACA Library. The car has dual sidemounts with what appeared to be an authenic trunk rack. The car is for sale, but needs a lot of work. It also has wire wheels. Has a Straight 8 engine thought to have been designed by Harry Miller of racing engine fame. Could really use your expertise on this project. Lets kick this one around for our Locomobile people.

Yates

Re: 26 Locomobile Touring - Jr 8

Yates
I think the Locomobile Jr 8 was built as a sister to the Flint and similar in some ways. Anybody else out there that can add any info? How about it Jim G?

Do You own a car built by Durant? Almost

Yates, the Standard catalog of American Cars 1805-1942
shows them built. It shows Junior 8,8 cyl.,66 hp, 124"wb. Tr-5p (touring 5 pass) Sed-5p, Brgm-5p, Rds-4p, Cpe-4p. The only pic is of the brougham. Hope this helps. Glenn

Do You own a car built by Durant? 25 Star

Hello everyone...... Mike, I believe your correct when you say that the Durant built Locomobiles and the Flints where similar in many ways, but they also had many differences. Sorry to say I am very nieve when it comes to these Locomobiles and have absolutely no literature to offer! I can add this little trivia though.... both cars were built during the same timeline and the early Flint serial tags stated" When ordering parts, refer to these numbers...Locomobile Company of America....Flint Motor Division... Long Island City, N.Y." Sorry I couldn't be of more help! Jim G.

Yates
I see also that on Terry's Durant site on our link page , Clive Tinkner of the UK has a 25 loco touring. From the little I know about the Locomobile, I know that there heyday was prior to the Durant years. It was one of the most popular cars for the movie stars of the silent film era. Kind of their Dusenberg and was a finely built car. It was having problems and sales were slowing because they did not want to cut corners in quality and still targeted the wealthy only because of the price of the car. Durant picked them up and keep them alive but not for long. I think they were gone in 27 or 28 along with the Flint. It would be a good car to restore and they always seem to bring a good price when restored.

Do You own a car built by Durant? Almost

Hi Guys,
Thanks for all the help. Mike the one photo you mentioned looks identical, except the one I am looking at has dual sidemounts. I wonder if someone added the sidemounts later or if they were original. Guess I should go back and check it out a little closer. I'm probably getting to old to finish another car anyway.
Will try to post a picture later. Thanks again...

Yates

Yates.Your never to old to do the things you love to do.Life is short.A gift.I beleive live for today tomorrow may never come.[THE WOLFMAN].

Do You own a car built by Durant? yes a 1928 Rugby Truck model X , 1928 Durant 2 dr coupe, 1923 Star 2dr runabout [roadster].

Sounds like a great car. My Complete Encyclopedia of Motorcars 1885 - 1968 says it was 1899 to 1929. It ran into financial difficulty in 1920 and bought by Billy in 1922. Durant continued the 48 and added the luxury car 90 with L head monobloc engine but Loco factories were utilized for production of the inexpensive Flint. In 1925 came the Junior 8 as a competitor for the Chrysler selling at $1785. In 1929 the 48 and 90 were still available but the staple car was a 4.9 litre Lycoming straight 8 at $2850. The book shows a pic of a 26 jr 8 sedan. Don't know if this helps.
Norm
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1932 614 sedan J5222

Hello Yates
I found some information in two books. The first page is from “Hand book of automobiles”, 1926 edition. The two other pages are from “Branham AUTOMOBILE REFERENCE BOOK”, 1927 edition, containing “..in illustrated form the location of the serial and motor numbers of practically all pleasure and commercial vehicles from 1920 to 1927”
(I am not sure if the number of cylinders are right for all models.)
Terje

Hi...we just wanted to spread the word that we have a "BRANHAM AUTOMOBILE REFERENCE BOOK, 1923 EDITION"...if you or anyone in the "oldies but goodies world!" everything was made so much better "back in the day", made to last...including this book which is in great shape! If we could be of any help, please let us know.

take care,
Jane & Don

Do You own a car built by Durant? no, but we wish!

Jane and Don,
I have sent you a direct reply and am definitely interested in your book. Thanks.
Lance C.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 26 Locomobile JR-8 Sedan and 26 JR-8 Roadster project, 30 Durant 410 Special Deluxe 4Dr.

The Durant Motors Automobile Club