Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
oil filter / hood hold downs 30 - 33 D's / Frontenac's

Hi fellows. Continuing the previous discussions about oil filters and "Roberts" under Hood Hinge Hold Downs he's another venue. May have a source for the chrome hood ends yet, as well from Tod.

Hi Norm,
I have a few oil filters on the shelf and don't change them very often, so I am set for a decade or two on that. There is a fellow in the Plymouth Club that is making an aluminum housing that looks like the sealed canister oil filter but opens up to take a modern filter. He wants a lot more for that canister replacement than I am willing to spend. His last ad gives the following contact information:

Joe McGinnis
201 Young Harris St., Suite #3, PMB #147
Blairsvill, GA 30512
(706) 745-3985

Your hood hinge does look like the one on my 1933 Plymouth. There is a fellow that was reproducing the ends and center piece a while back. I will look through my old catalogs and see if I can remember who he was.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1932 614 sedan J5222

Re: oil filter / hood hold downs 30 - 33 D's / Frontenac's

HI GUYS
CHECK PLYDO OUT OF WEST VIRGINIA FOR HOOD BRACKETS ?

Do You own a car built by Durant? 26 star 27star

PLYDO have nothing online so will send an e with pic to see.

Norm

Hi Norm.....

I had talked to a guy at Hershey that was making the filter housing for modern spin on filters, very well done, could not tell them from the original. He was making them for Packards and other's that used the same filter.

If I remember correctly the price range was $200 to $300 each. And he was making them one at a time.....

Frank ---

Do You own a car built by Durant? A dozen Durant & Star cars & a Durant Dort buggy

Hi Frank

Just thought I would pass it on incase other D / F owners might be interested. Still haven't looked into my Kralinator oil conditioner (made in Ont per the faded label), thats attached to the firewall. Gord says I should be able to get filters for it.

Norm

Hi Norm

Sounds like that would be a good period accessory for your car. A lot of companies made remote filters like that.

Is there an old filter in it? If so get me a number from it,

I've got hundreds of old stock filters. Probably can match something up for you ......

Frank ---

Do You own a car built by Durant? A dozen Durant & Star cars & a Durant Dort buggy

Well well .. what do you 30 - 33 D / F owners think of these hood items ? Stainless steel hood centers and chrome hood ends.

http://www.macktrucks.com/wattsmack/Default.aspx?pageid=19

http://www.macktrucks.com/dealers/assets/custom_images//8_28.jpg

$40

http://www.macktrucks.com/dealers/assets/custom_images//8_29.jpg

$82

Norm:
Those are the ones that I have on the Frontenac right now. The centre hinge is about 14 inches longer than I needed. The chrome that are on mine are excellent and have been on the car for over 30 years.

Gord

Do You own a car built by Durant? Frontenac

Hi Gord
I wonderer if a Mack place in Ontario can get the parts for us. Sturgenor Auto in Ottawa is one of Macks dealers but I couldn't get a peep out of them when I asked a month ago. I'll try from the Mack end to see if they can do anything. Being stainless steel it will never rust like the original one did.
Norm

It might be worth a try, but I feel that the Mack truck people can't be bothered with trying to get old parts for you. I got mine when we were still using these trucks in the ready - mix industry.,
Gord

Do You own a car built by Durant? Frontenac

You may be right. I've mailed Mack Co, that one above and Surgenors and no answer from all 3 so far. The one above sells B parts for restorers of Macks, I think in 3 different stores in the US. I did find out the chrome end pieces are idential on a 46 Dodge two ton we have here in AACO. Roberts sells the ends for 36 - 49 (?) Dodge trucks but we know hes not very reliable and sells junk. Got that from our own members and the 46 Dodge owner. Has to be more sources for these ends (33 Plymouth has the same hood strip and ends, I found out)

Hello Folks, I have a 28 65 with a 15l continental 6, and I need the oil filter housing that bolts on to the block I have that canister but the previous owner took it off for some reason and it was lost. I would like to find an original before I design and cut one out.

Do You own a car built by Durant? yes

Thought your motor for 28 / 29 looks like this poor old D way up the Quebec side. (also another 6 behind it) Its a cast iron oil container. The 30 - 33 D's had the oil canisters on the block left side. Over starter on 6 and over generator on 4's.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Thank you For the reply, It makes me want to cry to see these babies in these condition.yes it does look like that the filter is mounted on the block between the starter and the generator. I am also interested in that front bumper, do these belong to you? how much for the filter assembly? and how much for the bumper? I live in the 93523 zip

Yes I agree its a shame. Unfortunately, that's taken about 200 miles up the Ont / Quebec border Que side as far as the roads will go, by the owner of a 407, who lives near here in Ont. I've emailed Brennan's but got no answer. They have a tourist farm / place way up in the woods and these cars are at another farm, they own. Have no idea what other cars are also rusting away with them.
I think that bumper is one of the more graceful ones on the D's. Wouldn't mind it on my 1932 614 instead of the solid one. Open bumpers make the cars look older even if its only one yr between 31 and 32.

well thank you for the reply, hopefully you'll here from them. I am a new Durant owner and do not know all my sources yet. I was able to find parts for the water pump and rebuilt it myself what a beauty, now am ready to start it but need this oil filter. thank you.

The Durant Motors Automobile Club