Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
New Technical Advisor

I'm happy to announce that Dave Roberts the Forum's own "Wolfman" is now our new Rugby Technical Advisor!

Thank you Dave for accepting on this position, I'm very excited and know you'll bring a wealth of information to the post.

Rick Botti
President
Durant Motors Automobile Club

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1929 Model 60 Roadster

Re: New Technical Advisor

Still looking for information to fix our 1928 Durant. After having motor rebuilt we don't seem to be able to get it going again. Any suggestions. Thanks

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1928 Durant 6 cyl rumble seat

May,

It takes three basic components to make a cylinder fire...Fuel-Compression-and IGN...If they are in the right order and proportions the engine will run...I always check out the basics to see if they are there then check the IGN timing...I think you will need to check these basic components first, then we possiably can be of better help...Bill

Do You own a car built by Durant? A-22 Touring

First, check the gas. Many of our carbs have a top on the fuel bowl that can be removed. Look to see that there is gas in it. Another trick is to remove a plug and squirt a little gas into the cylinder. On cranking, it should fire the cylinder at least once. If it does, you've got a carb/fuel problem.

The next easiest thing to check is the ignition. Pull a wire off the plug and hold it near the block. Turn the iginition on and have someone press the starter to see if a spark jumps to the block. If not, pull the coil wire out of the distribuor and hold it next to the block, open the distributor, remove the rotor and use a screw driver to open and close the points. If there is no spark, you have a bad coil. Any six volt coil will work. Most parts stores will carry one for the old VW bugs.

However, igintion timing is usually the culprit. I found it easiest to set the timing by removing the front spark plug and looking to see that the piston is at the top and the valves both closed. I wrote in detail about this in the club newsletter. If you can't find it, let me know and I'll send it to you.

Finally, there is the valve timing which can easily get messed-up in a rebuild. Fortunately, you're in luck as we just had a very good discussion on this in the forum. See "W5 Performance problem" by Carl.

If these don't work. Let us know and maybe someone else will have the answer.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1925 Star

Dave,
Congratulations and thanks for making the sacrifice.
We are in need of good people like yourself to keep us #1.
Don't know how the subject got changed in this post.

Your Durant Partner

Yates

The Durant Motors Automobile Club