Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Can You Decode Block Number?

I have come across another neat project. I am a heavy 20's early 30's Chrysler product collector, so the Star car is all new to me. I have come up with a rough early to mid 20's Delivery truck. I don't think it's a Depot Hack because it has a full bed (no rear seating). No body tag found, but the engine number is 205456, and the casting on the block is W4A-504. Can the auto's year be determied by the block number alone? Doing some breif internet photo research, my guess would be 1924, due to the square can headlights v/s the bell back headlamps that I see on the 1923 models. Any imput would be great! thanks, Patrick

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yes

Re: Can You Decode Block Number?

A pic of the radiator emblem and radiator shell will tell for sure but you probably have a model "F", 1924-25.
At present, there is no info to date the engine by serial numbers.

Sorry the Rad and shell with emblem are missing from the vechical.

There should be a date in the engine casting.

Where Are You From? vancouverdurantstarcarconnection.ca

There is a casting date on the cylinder head. How about a pic of the instrument panel?

I post photos on other forums, but I do not see a place for attachments on your forum. How do I find it? Very nice forum by the way. Patrick

Check this post for photo insertion instructions

http://pub24.bravenet.com/forum/2014460939/show/584259

Do You own a car built by Durant? yes

Frank, you can't tell a yr by the casting date. My 32 casting date is April 13 1931 for head and May 13 31 for block but the car is late or near last 614 1932. Don't know if the earlier D's can pin point it any better.
Norm

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1932 614 sedan J5222

The Durant Motors Automobile Club