Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Headlight lens size

I have a 1928 M2 that I am doing a ground up restoration on . I'm working on the headlights right at this time, and the ones I have are the newer sealed beam kind. I would like to turn mine back to the original lens and reflector. I would like to find out the size and brand of the lens I'm looking for? Any other info you can give me about the headlights would much appreciated.

Thank you,
Adam

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1928 M2

Re: Headlight lens size

Adam:

I have a 1928 M2 Rugby, that was the trade mark for exported Durants, similar to my father's that had one brand new in the twenties leaving me lots of pictures of his car. The lenses where clear glass and the reflectors were of the facet type with vertical bands. In my car I had to make the same reconversion to original headlights as had been converted to sealed beams. Glad to be of any help.

Regards

Ricardo

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yes

check out Dennis Mcbrides image in the photograph section. If your lights are like his, they are the star / chevy type. Clear glass with a fancy reflector inside.
Or you could have the durant type light that had Glolite glass inside... possibly 9 7/16 x 8 1/2.
Hope this helps

Where Are You From? oldcarlenses.com

Do You own a car built by Durant? quite a few

also see Ralph and Judy Woodards M2 in the 2006 Meet area picture name Canada 2006 -- img_3014.jpg
They have the clear glass type too.

Where Are You From? oldcarlenses.com

Do You own a car built by Durant? quite a few

Ricardo, you have been a big help to me. You sent me some drawings of the headlights some time ago. I Thank you very much for that. When I get done with the headlights I was going to take the measurements of the headlights and tweak the drawings so the measurements are the exactly the same as the headlights. I would be more interested in how you chose the reflector that matches your headlights?

Larry, those 2 pictures you had me look at look exactly like my headlights. Now my question is what are the 2 dimensions for? 9 7/16” means what and 8 ½” mean what? I don’t mean to sound ignorant but I am in this area.
Can anyone tell me what parts (besides the reflector) they got rid or added to make the headlights fit for sealed beams?
Does anyone know if Frank Witkowski would have the reflectors or not? Maybe Frank will see this post and let me know if he has headlight parts or not.
Thanks for all your help fellas.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1928 M2

Hi Adam..........

The best source for original headlights and parts is Larry F. Check out his web site under the links button for Larry's Durant Parts.

The clear glass lens with the fluted reflector is what is on some of my cars, any glass shop can cut the lens for you.

I do have kits available to use Halogen bulbs in you old reflectors, gives a much brighter light.....

Frank ---

Do You own a car built by Durant? A dozen Durant & Star cars & a Durant Dort buggy

The Durant Motors Automobile Club