Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Have no clue what our Durant on Ebay is worth.....

..but if it doesn't bring $20k we'll probably keep in the fam or let Barrett Jackson decide what its worth...

any comments? thanks

Where Are You From? www.carzandtrucks.com

Re: Have no clue what our Durant on Ebay is worth.....

It's very much like my 29 Durant 4. Yours might be worth more on account of the 6 cylinder engine. I'd be thinking it would top out at about $6,000. I'm not sure what the auction entrance fee is, but you might not want to pay it. It might be a fun driver, but not a museum car or points winner.

Do You own a car built by Durant? yes

Ryan,
We, at Tex-Ark, would be proud to display your car in our museum!! With my ongoing experience in dealing with these cars and rebuilding them, I can understand what it will cost to bring one to the condition of your '29.
Any car of this age, condition, and history, as yours, will always bring a premium price. Just because it doesn't have a fancy name or was not owned by some perceived luminary,is no reason to discount it's value.
One thing to consider, if you sell, you'll never again own one as nice at what you have now!!
Don

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1923 Star Touring, 1927 Star Coupe, 192? A-22 Touring

Very nice looking D and needs the correct taillight. See there's a museum 1927 star for sale for $6400 Ebay buy it now.
Yes they cost a lot to restore but that's part of the hobby. Probably cost you more to restore than you can get for it, if that's your intention. 4 or 6 cylinder doesn't change the value much, lots of both still exist.

The Old Auto's bi monthly paper published in Bothwell Ont carried an article of value of old cars in its March 6 2006 issue. Funny part was one of the cars they used to compare prices now and 20 years ago, was a rare fully restored 1932 Durant sedan with the side mounts. It would be worth $14,000 Canadian then and now.

Goes on to say that prices have dropped in value over the last ten years, as fewer and fewer hobbyists have any connections to that era. Now a days its the muscle cars of the 70's that's wanted. I can vouch for that with our own car club of fewer antique cars and more mid 50's and up. One page of antique cars pre 32 and 5 of newer vehicles.

As they finished the article "Old vehicles can be an investment, but for most hobbyists it's just for fun"

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1932 614 sedan J5222

Hello
A car is worth as much someone is willing to pay for it. Here in western Canada, Durant and Star cars are popping up all the time for sale. But there are only few people that even know what a Durant or Star car is.
It is right to say that people of the younger generation look at you with a smile in there eyes, when they find out one collects a so called vintage car. They think, guttless snail on the road always breaking down, so what.
See it as preserving history,keeping a part of the technical revolution alieve that swept through the world almost one hundred years ago.
I am probably the youngest Durantian at age 37 and I love working with them.
When you start getting into it reallizing how they
went about to build these cars. For me I can almost imagine their thoughts. The basic design to be able to fix it with minimal tools on the side of the road made them last allmost one hundred years.
Look at the modern cars or even the so called classics, you have to have a warehouse full of equipment to keep them running.Try to fix something electronic, good luck.
Long story, I would like for you to take a moment and
spend some time looking at the car and see if there is just a little bit of curiosity in you, how it would be to go play with it. Taking the fam out on a sunny afternoon and enjoing the slower pace of living that took place when the cars were new.
Best wishes
Franz

Where Are You From? vancouverdurantstarcarconnection.ca

I was recently critised as to often trying to help others determine a fair price to start with. I am in 100% agreement with those that say you should not look at a Durant with the idea of how much will she be worth! How can you put a price on the time you spend working on the ole gal, and tackling that challenge you have in making her work again nor the value of the smiles of the ole timers and new children when you drive down the street and of course the satisfaction that you are keeping a piece of automotive history alive. We Durantonians are a rare rare breed and no matter what age we are, we do love the cars and the fun and FRIENDSHIP they bring! If you haven't attended a meeting of one of the chapters then you need to stop hiding and come on out. You will not be sorry!

Do You own a car built by Durant? Almost

Hello Ryan,
I own a 1929 Durant model 60 Deluxe four door sedan. Your car is a model 60 standard. There is a picture of my car on the club web site. It is unrestored with original paint on the body as well as original interior and top, the motor and transmission have been rebuilt. If I could fish somebody in to buying it for $10,000 U.S. I would be ecstatic. Good luck with your venture.

Take a look at the Ebay listing and how it runs, but there is No Reserve on the auction we are selling it for whatever it brings. thanks for the comments.
Ryan

Nice car Bruce! This one's definitely drawing some attention on Ebay, right now with 4 1/2 days left in the auction (we start all of our auctions at $1 usd with no reserve). This Ebay listing currently has 105 watchers and a museum has asked to put it up for display. Many bidders do not join in on the bidding until the last 2 hours which will be on Sunday night Jan 21st. I have videos posted of the motor starting up and running. We have definitely come off our high horse as to what we expect it to bring, but its definitely worth the $$, thanks.

After reading all of your postings again, I realize that the Durantians are all about appreciating the car, its era, and a more simple time and slower pace of life. Western civilization should take some notes here!

The sad part is hardly anyone realizes who William Durant was and but for him there would not be GM / Chevy he amassed in his 1st empire. Everyone knows Ford, and Bill almost added that to the GM empire in 1908, when Henry was feeling down and out from loosing the court battle. What a thought ... no Ford's, just Chev's and Durant's. Humm, has merit.

Yes I think Durantian's are a breed of their own and wanting to carry Bill's 2nd empire forward so he's not forgotten. Plus, the slower pace of living, enjoying an older car, and gaining new friends with the same interest.
Norm

Hi Ryan,
Me again, Your car is in nice shape. please let us know what you end up getting for it as a lot of us club members do not get to town much. Thank you, Bruce Hargin.

I would not know how much you could get for them each car has its own presonally. I will say I have been alfroded 55,000 for mine but I turned it down because I like the car and when you put that much time in one it is hard to let go my wife and kids said I should took the money and run but what you have a bigger bank account you can ride it. By the way I have a 1923 sports touring car the is pictures of it at home page but I have done more to it and I am still not done there are a lot of little things to do to it. When I bougth it my wife said what you going to with that piece of si## now she loves it and when I yalk about it I have to say mine and hers HA!!HA!!. Also look the car books that offer cars for sale I saw a 1923 durant for sale for $48500.00 last July.

Do You own a car built by Durant? yes

Definately say its yours and mine (ours) if you want peace in the home. Doing that with my family as well so they feel its a family car and they all have an interest.

(then you ask when they are coming over to work on "our" car, ha ha)

hello...
i have been told by knowledgeable people that many barrett auction cars are reclaimed by their original owners because they do not like the price the car is going for...they pay the fees and take it back rather than lose it for less than wanted....i also know that cars are usually sold for less than they cost to build...and we all know that the market for these cars are dropping in nfavor of muscle cars and later classics......it does matter that it is an unknown or orphan make from the 20's and 30's...and unless you have a really special touring of unbelievable restoration quality...that will draw the high dollrs because of its inherent excellence....you will find the durants and stars are usually in the 5-10,000
dollar range if excellent unrestored condition...and less, like 4,000 to 7,500 if in less than complete or not running condition. I have a solid , excellent metal, not so good top wood 1929 model 63 standard sedan that is supposed to run..(i haven't tried it yet) that i would love to sell for 3500 dollars (pics in photo section....but you never know....distance and transport costs interfere with sales costs....
thats what i think about durant-star costs...if my opinion and experience helps.....regards, gary k
( founder of original group.." durant-star owners club").....from 1966

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1929 durant 70 coupe and 63 sedan

The Durant Motors Automobile Club