Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Hood hinge hold downs

Couldn't think what you called the two parts that hold the hood in place at cowl and rad shell. My 32 614 has the chrome center like a 618 / 19 hood not like a normal center round rod hinge. I have 4 bolts and two riser things but not the actual part for each end. Doesn't appear much room between hood part and chrome center for a hold in place sort of thing. Maybe the fastening fits into the chrome part. Can't have a normal 614 (whatever that is) like others.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1932 614 sedan J5222

Re: Hood hinge hold downs

Norm:
I do not know the actual name of the part, but there is a similar part on the 1950's Mack Trucks. I know because that is what I have on the Frontenac and I know of at least one more car with them. Don't think you can still buy them from Mack Truck, but if you can find a wrecking yard with a 50's Mack, you could probably get them. Don't know of anyone who is reproducing them. Are yours gone entirely?
Gord

Do You own a car built by Durant? Frontenac

Yep .. open the hood and it slides around. You can pull the chrome center out and have two hood halves. Again looking at cars in DMAC not all have our hoods. Maybe since my dash pulls seem to be Fronty the hood is also. What a car. Mine has the 4 counter sunk bolts and the metal under clips with raised center part the hood seems to sit on. I seem to recall these parts on Stephan's 31 from the 60's when Brian would run the car with no hood as it made it look hotrod. Think the hood was off more than it was on.
Norm

I have one of those thingys on the front of my '31 model 619.
Wish I could find one for the cowl end. Someday I may try and fabricate one. Maybe cheat and just use a piece of strap iron.
Wayne Farrand

Wayne ..could you even give me an idea what they look like ? I know the standard open bottomed clamp with one piece hood. This 3 piece hood and how the thing works ?? Does the fastening go into the open part of the center chrome strip and then bolt down to stop the hood sliding ? More and more this 32 is a parts car by Dominion Motors. Fronty dash pulls, 2 619 door handles outside. Hood is 619 or Fronty.
I kept a small item from our newspaper in the early 60's about Frontenac six cars. Called it a 1931 1/2 Durant 619.

I believe most of the parts for a 619 are the same as Frontenac. I believe your car Norm is a 614, so the frame will not be the same, your wheelbase will be 3 inches longer. The 619 and Frontenac are 109 inches and the 614 is 112 inches. The 619 and Frontenac have a double drop frame, so even the hood is different. I believe there was a write up in an old Durant Standard about those hold downs. The best bet is from an old Mack Truck (B42 or similar) and the chrome is excellent on them.

Yes its a 614 but by end of 1932 Dominion was using any parts on cars. Didn't you tell me you know of a Fronty thats on a Durant frame. Have to measure the wheel base once I can get at the car to do so. I remarked before it seemed longer and heavier than Stephans 31 614. I have an idea what the hood hold downs look like. Same as the rod type hoods but wider opening to fit the chrome strip. Opened the kitchen cupboard and it hit me how similar the roller door holders were to what I need. Cut the roller part off and it might look like the piece. Just trying to get ideas. With the scrap yards vanishing so fast they probably don't have pre 70's cars let alone 40's style. There is a 1943 Mack fire truck for sale on Ebay and the hood center seems very similar.

Norm:
Will send 3 pictures to your email address of the doodad. These things appear to be stress points on the hood, so you will see in the pics some dirty corners of my car that can't be seen from a trotting horse. If anyone else wants to see the let me know.
Wayne

Hi All..

Here's a picture of the hold down on my 619. If you need dimensions or better details, I will remove and measure it......Frank ---

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Do You own a car built by Durant? a dozen Durants & Stars cars & a Durant-Dort buggy

OK fellows you are in luck. I just finished a 619 and lots of server damage and missing parts sent me shopping all over in Ford etc old car catalog's and on the web. And guess what Mac’s Antique Auto Parts and other companies have 32 Ford stainless steel hood hinges and the brackets for both ends. The actual long hinges is polished stainless steel and the P/N 18-16632 $17.22 and one chrome end bracket is P/R B-8220 for only $7.45 & the other end is P/N
40-8220 for $7.75 plus shipping.
Now some other critical things that are available for the rare 407, 612, 614, 619 Durant cars are the strange looking crank up windshield cowl rubber molding and the two side guides as a kit for $86.20 part number 70-0016-32 from Steele Rubber Products and they also have the gas tank sending unit round rubber cover for in the back for $44.50 part number 10-0010-44. These are actually listed under Durant and a couple door guide stops that don’t fit. So don’t bother with them. I think the reason they are available is all these particular rubber parts fit on the 30 Chevy and 30 Buick so a lot more demand. The rubber gas sending unit round cover also fits on my 1929 Durant model 6-66 and on Rick’s 1929 Durant sport roadster and on the 1930 614 Durant cars. So I hope some of this info helps you out there.
Members Mike and Neil Butters up in Canada can rebuild your complete windshield crank mechanism above the windshield for only $200.00. Send them your old one. Later Lance Haynes

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yes many

Hi Lance and fellows. Think Gord is going to track down the Mack ends for me. Looks like a number of us are missing this part. Its ok Frank, don't undo your part.
We were aware the round rubber gas sensor cover was available but I can't for the life of me recall what its used on, present day. Ron with 407 pointed out it was still in shops and I had seen it on something the last couple of years.
Yes I noted the job you did on the 619, Lance. What a nice car you turned out from a "sow's ear to a silk purse". I copied out the pic of the wood work and header pre restoration to give me an idea what I am up against and what goes where. My header is part of the 416 hwy as dust from Prescott to Ottawa.
The 32 Ford hood parts are the same as our cars ? Why the two numbers for ends ? Aren't they idential cowl and shell ? I can see Canada Post bending the stainless steel or tripling the cost at customs with broker fees and taxes. Several of us have been there with items coming into Canada.

Lance what did you do with the 619 center hood hinge strip. The 32 Ford one you bought from Mac's Antique Auto Parts is 32 inches long and stainless steel. I thought that would be cool and never rust. Measured my 614 hood piece and its 33 5 /8 inches. Thats 1 5/8 short. If longer I could have cut.

The Frontenac hood is 32 3/8 inches long. You could probably get away with a centre strip 32 inches by adding something under the hold down ends. I used one off of a Mack truck and had to cut off about 16 inches. No problem there at all.

Back to finding a Mack truck somewhere

Howdy again. Well yes the after market 32 Ford polished stainless steel hinge is only 32” long but it does work and look OK on the 1931 Durant 619 model as they have a few different end brackets to make it work. Our 619 hood is exactly 32 & 3/8ths long there but you can install this new hinge just part way into the new after market Ford chrome socket that we installed up at the radiator shell and used a reaching chrome device that has a design for a piece protruding inside the oval stainless steel hinge. It got the job dome after some trial and error looks AOK. The 614 cars I have restored don’t use this system like on the 619. They all had the old conventional rod stock running down the center. Anyway good luck with your restoration. Later Lance

Do You own a car built by Durant? Many

Ah ha .. thanks Lance. Like I was telling Gord I thought I was wrong and went out with flashlight and PJ's to remeasure my hood. Next time I'll wear a coat, brrr, ha ha. My hood is 33 5 /8 across and center strip is 33 3/ 8. Guess our Canadian Dominion Motors 31 / 32 614's use the center chromed strip. My old 1930 614 had the rod type. Am looking into finding a B49S 1950's Mack truck parts that work on the D's / F's for the strip and hold downs. Strip will be too long but one can cut that. Ends will mirror the orig type we all need.
Norm

Suprise suprise .. think we may have a winner. Oil filters and hood ends.

http://robertsmotorparts.com/car_parts.asp?Action=search&search=oil+filter has filter T45 at $45. Fits cars 30 to 59.
Son of a gun check out T87 under hood. Fits trucks 39 - 47 at $49.50

Norm,

Please check with Lance before ordering any T-45 oil filters from Roberts Motor Parts, I told Lance about them...Lance bought all they had in stock (about a case) then had to send them back as they were rusty...Sorry, Bill

Re: Hood hinge hold downs / oil filter

Good to know. Actually someone changed the oil filter and put a Kralinator oil conditioner on the firewall sometime over 45 yrs ago. Seems I can get filters for this thing if I take the filter to a store that sells them. Must be industrial or farm type thing.
Norm

Re: Hood hinge hold downs/Filter

Durant was not the only manufacturer that was using this same "in-line" type oil filter, at least Chrysler and Studebaker were also using this filter for a number of years...Since they are no longer making this filter I imagine it is near impossiable to find them...My earlier Durant does not use this filter but I do have a '31 Chrysler that does...My Chrysler has a F-4 Fram that I believe was imstalled when the car was nearly new, the cartridge is a C-4 and obtainable at any parts store...Bill

The Durant Motors Automobile Club