Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
8 volt battery vs 6 volt

What's everyones thoughts on using an 8 volt battery instead of a 6 volt. I was reading of someone who used it and said his starting and lights were much brighter and he had had no problems with this system. Anyone else used and 8 volt.

Do You own a car built by Durant? Almost

Re: 8 volt battery vs 6 volt

my 1932 pontiac came with an 8 volt battery and it gave no problems that i have become aware of. it does help improve starting over 6 volts.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1929 durant 70 coupe and 63 sedan

Mike,
I have used a 8 Volt battery for 18 months now, everything works much better, the starter turns over 1/2 the time it used to, also indicators and lights are much brighter. More than happy with it.
Regards Brian

Do You own a car built by Durant? 26&29 Rugbys

Would I need to change anything else to switch to an 8 volt battery ,or can everything stay the same ?
Regards Barry

Do You own a car built by Durant? Rugby 1929 M40 roadster

Barry I hav'nt changed anything on my rugby.generator adjustment seems sufficient.I suggest if worried keep an eye on battery condition as the generator can be adjusted. Brian

Do You own a car built by Durant? 26&29 Rugbys

Mike:
Before you do anything and discard the 6 volt make sure all cables are tight and clean. I have never found the need for an 8 volt system when everything is up to snuff. Happy New Year.
Jan

Thanks Brian & Jan food for thought, generaly I don't have any problems but was interested in anything that might improve things
Regards Barry

Do You own a car built by Durant? Rugby 1929 M40 roadster

I have a 6 volt and have not had any troulbe but think about it once it goes down your gen, will only charge back up to 6 volts if you don`t change any thing

Do You own a car built by Durant? yes

The Durant Motors Automobile Club