Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Unknown Rugby

Here is a gentleman on the AACA website who has some pictures of an interesting Rugby that we might be able to help him with. Take a look and offer your assistance.
Thanks Jan

http://forums.aaca.org/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=426555&an=0&page=0#Post426555

Re: Unknown Rugby

That car looks more like a 28 Model A than any Durant product. Could not reply on the other site. The wheels and rad shell and general configuration lead me this way. Will be interesting to see just what we have here. The side view picture is very dark so I am unable to see many details.
Gord

Do You own a car built by Durant? Frontenac

Hi All..

I've got to agree with Gord, it's a Model A Ford , at least the body is. Note the cowl gas tank, Rad shell definitely Ford, even what I can make out of the rad emblem looks Ford

If we know what the motor looks like or if it's a continental will sure help........

Frank ---

Do You own a car built by Durant? A dozen Durant & Star cars & a Durant Dort buggy

It's definately a Furd!! You can make out the arched rear axel spring.
I wonder where they got the idea it was a Rugby?

Do You own a car built by Durant? '23 Star Touring, '27 Star Coupe

That is a 1928-29 Model A Ford Pheaton. Looks to be in good shape too.

Rick

Re: mislabeled Rugby

Definitely a 1929 Ford. 1928's didn't have outside door handles. [I had one.] 353,422 serial number is too low for 1929, but there might have been a 1 in front. Who knows whether the engine has been exchanged. Ford had assembly plants all over, but I'm pretty sure the serial numbers where doled out from Dearborn. Quite often, the exported units used bodies from the year before. In 1938, Ford began the two model policy, where the new model was the "Deluxe", and the previous year model was the "Standard". Thus they got more use from the tools and dies. By the way, almost 50,000 1929 phaetons were built, domestically, that is.

Do You own a car built by Durant? yes

Gentlemen,
Firstly I would like to introduce myself. I am the person requesting advice on the unknown Rugby. I am President of our recently established classic car club in the south of Spain. I have been asked to help identify this Rugby. After reading your kind comments I contacted the owner and he resent me the photographs of the Rugby and I got different photos back! I will try to post the new photos on this page.

The engineer sent me the first batch of photos and being that I am not upto scratch on US cars (UK classics being my forte) I did not spot the mistake. The only info I have apart from the seemingly incorrect chassis number is that this car has come from Argintina.
Thanks again for the kind help.
Mauricio Yeo

Do You own a car built by Durant? no

I can see that the photos have not appeared on this Forum. I will post them again on the other forum and E Mail photos to the kind gentlemen that have replied. Thanks again to all.
Mauricio Yeo

I have seen the revised pictures that Maurico sent and the car looks like a 1927/28 Star, so would be called a Rugby in Argentina. Looks to be in restored condition. Kind of hard to tell many details as the pictures are dark, at least on my computer. Appears to be a very nice automobile.

There must have been a mix up in photos. Mauricio emailed me some photos of another car. This one (blue) is a 26-27 Star/Rugby. The Red one, listed on this forum, is still a Furd.

Do You own a car built by Durant? '23 Star Touring, '27 Star Coupe

I thought Argentine cars were right-hand drive? Wrong?

Do You own a car built by Durant? yes

All the Durant products were ambidextrous. They could be changed quite easily. The holes were drilled in the frame and all the brackets can be reversed.
Which side of the road do they drive on in Spain?
Must be right side, as that is the way JM Blasco's phaeton is, see the latest Partner.
Gord.

Hi Guys
In Sain they drive on the right. My 29 Rugby roadster is left hand drive and that was brought to the UK from Argentina.Don't know if that helps at all
Regards Barry
Happy xmas to everyone

I have just checked the chassis number and although I am missing the first indicative letter the numbers are 353422 which according to the Tech Page places this car as a 1926 M type Star.
For the record, we do drive over here on the right side of the road. It´s the Brit´s that drive on the "wrong" side.
Mauricio
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b37/mauri5952/f93c6223.jpg

In Argentina Durant products where sold as Rugbies or Durant. Up to M4 as far as I know were Rugbies, mainly four and some six. Later models 400 and 600 were sold as Durant, but the amount imported of Durants was very small in comparison with the very popular Rugbies, mainly the 4 cylinders.

Regards

Ricardo

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yes

The Durant Motors Automobile Club