Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Wood Working Question

Concerning the 1926-27 Star M Coupes. I am starting wood fabrication on the rear part of the body. Could anybody provide me with the dimension of the thickness of the curved belt line wood piece. This is fitted from the body latch post, around the top edge of the rear body metal, and to the opposite body latch post.
I have the contour plotted and the width should be that of the latch post. I'm just not sure of the dimension in the vertical plane.
Also, since this wood piece should be made in three pieces, what type of joinery method is used in the bends? Half Lap, mortise and tenon,or finger joint?
Pics to my email would be greatly appreciated since I have absoutely no original wood pieces to go by.

Thanks!
Don Shilling

Re: Wood Working Question

Does ANYBODY have a trunk lid handle, latch mechanism, and a striker plate for an "M" Coupe they would be willing to sell?
I need one for my project and it would also help me to size the wood framing for the lid cover and striker rail.

Don

Do You own a car built by Durant? '23 Star Touring, '27 Star Coupe

Here's the progress over the weekend. I fabricated the rear belt line from 1 3/4" thick pine, half lapped in the corners, and sized to equal the width of the striker pillars. Today, I fitted three pieces of wood to form the trunk side rails and fastened them together to make a pattern for one piece.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Now, I could use some dimensions for the rear window framing. Anybody have any sugestions?

Concerning the trunk hinges, could someone provide the measurment of the distance between the hinges where they are fastned on the body wood? Are the hinges recessed flush in the wood?
Also, the dimensions of this piece of wood (width and thickness), and the method of joinery where it attaches to the trunk side rails.

Don

I managed to get a little bit done today with roughing in the trunk side rails. I still need the dimension of the thickness of the side rail and the exact location of the trunk lid prop mechanism.
Can anyone help out on this one?
Thanks,
Don

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

hello don I HAVE NOT ABANDON YOUR REQEST FOR MEASUREMENTS MY MOTHER PASSED AWAY I HAVE BEEN IN T.O ONTARIO . CAME BACK TO 3 DAYS OF NO HYDRO . I WILL RESPOND TO YOUR MEASURMENTS ASAP . BRIAN

Do You own a car built by Durant? 26 STAR 6 SEDAN

The Durant Motors Automobile Club