Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Resource for Star gayish green engine paint

Looking for proper dull green engine paint for 26 Star. Thanks!

Do You own a car built by Durant? 26 Star "R" 2 door coach

Re: Resource for Star gayish green engine paint

Contact Franz at:
http://www.vancouverdurantstarcarconnection.ca

info@vancouverdurantstarcarconnection.ca

Where Are You From? www.vancouverdurantstarcarconnection.ca

In another post by Gary Warden, he said that his 29 Duran Model 60 14L engine was the gray /green, and listed a Sherman Williams Paint Number JX-6386, I called my paint supplier (Automotive), was a good number and he was able to mix the gray/green color. It was a very close match to the small amount of color still on my block. I have a 25 Star 2 Dr sedan with a 26 engine.

Hello. If you want a long lasting top quality hi-temp engine paint go to www.billhirsch.com and order the Lincoln D-8800 gray/green hi gloss / hi temp engine enamel. It is $33.00 a quart plus shipping of course but no sales tax as they are located in NJ. This company started out 35 years ago as a Packard paint company and today makes paints and many other items for all makes of cars.
Later Lance

Lance
Is the Hirsh paint a real close match for the Durant paint. I wrote Bill about making the Durant paint for me, since I've had excellent results before with his engine paint, and he said he was unable to make it. I was going to provide him the formulas and he said his company that makes his paint could do it but that he would have to buy so much that It would not be cost effective.

Do You own a car built by Durant? Almost

Mike. Three is no 80 year old paint that hasn’t changed colors over the years especially on a hot motor. Even these so called original paint chips have changed drastically. Over the years I have had to get some more paint to finish a car or fix some problems and have never had it match never. Most of these gray/green paints we have today are pretty close. I wouldn’t sweat it. Later Lance

I paint my both motors with a local reproduction of a gray green sample that Gregg Wellner send me by postal letter , it was exactly the same colour that i found in same hidden parts of one of my motors

hope this help
Walter

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yes Touring M2 1928 and M4 1929

Hello Durantians
I have about 30 spray cans of the gray/green paint
made up ready to go.
Regards
Franz

Let me give you the history of the Sherwin-Williams JX-6386 engine paint.

In the early 80s the previous Durant Club got a sample of the correct gray-green engine paint from the Netthercutt Museum in Sylmar CA. They had restored a 1927 Star for Mr. Nethercutt. They have a large research staff.

I obtained a sample of the paint from the Club. I was working for the Navy at that time and had access to the Military Book of Standard Colors and found one of the colors that was almost identical the the sample. I took the Military number to the local S-W automotive paint store and from the military number they got the formula for the paint. I have made many samples for members and at that time had a supply made.

It is an acrylic enamel, it doesn't burn off. No need for high temperature paint for our engines. It is easy to touch up with a brush.

If anyone would like a sample send me you address.

Bob

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1927 Star

One of the samples that Bob sent me is posted under the Tech Page area of this web site under "Gray-Green" I scanned it and sent it to Rick for posting. Thanks Bob again for the samples.

Do You own a car built by Durant? Almost

The Durant Motors Automobile Club