Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Engine Rebuild

Even though the 6 cyl. continental engine from my 1929 Durant Model 60 seems to run well with compression of over 70lb. per cylinder. I am considering having it rebuilt to ensure longevity. Does anyone know of a reputable shop to do this work in the east since I live in Florida. Thanks!
Dennis Comer

Re: Engine Rebuild

Dennis, you are not going to get much more than 70 lb per cylinder unless you do a lot of work. If the engine is running well, I would suggest leaving well enough alone.
What do the rest of you fellows think?
Gord

Do You own a car built by Durant? Frontenac

I agree with leaving the engine as is. Although being a mechanic. When i got my 65 I removed the pan and checked the bottom end. I also observed the areas that were leaking not sweating as that can be a normal. After fixing the leaks I painted it and it runs great. I had the same issue about rebuilding or not.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1928 d 65

Personally, I would leave well enough alone. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.I have been fighting water problems and thats enough for me. I now have to pull the engine next spring, I have a water leak in the block between the block and firewall, sand pit in casting I think. I can see it with mirrors but can't get to it to repair.

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yes

I've seen many older engines running nicely , but upon teardown either found nothing out of the ordinary, OR, on various engines,
1- cracked or pieces missing in babbit bearings,
2- valve almost corroded thru just under the head,
3- cracked piston skirt
4- cracks in crankshaft journals
5- loose bolt on rod cap
6- various idiot repairs
7- On my JD dozer, with engine running very nice, no oil consumption, good oil pressure,( just a little oil smoke upon startup),,, I found #1 piston wrist pin keeper failed allowing the pin to contact the cylinder wall cutting a 1/16" gouge. Figure that!

It's a toss up whether or not to rebuild a seemingly good engine. But an old, unknown history engine, I'll tear it down every time. I'd rather know exactly what's pulling me down the road. That also goes for transmission, steering, rear end, fuel system, and brakes.

Hi Everyone. Right on Don. I find the same exact things. Better be safe than sorry. You can't hear the timing chain ruining the sprockets from the lack of oil up front but believe me and Rick as his mottor was stone quit and started and ran but his chain and sprockets were totally shot along with all kinds of other problems. Later Lance

I would drop the pan and pull the head. Looking at the sludge will tell you a lot about an engine. You can also check the valves and look for water leaks. This can be done over the weekend. If you hear any chain slap or gear noise then pull the front end. These cars are so easy to work on that I agree why take chances. If I can find the valve i pulled out of my 23 you will see a valve that is rusted almost completely through. The engine was running great but I decided to paint it and then tear it down. i also have an engine that someone put round springs in place of the rings which had reasonable compresion. Winter time is here so why waste touring time due to a breakdown. Why not do your own teardown. These engines are no more complicated then a lawnmower. Just take a lot of pictures. The only thing you can not do with simple hand tools is pour babbit, bore a cyc or mill a head. If you belong to a car club, any club, you can tear the engine apart for a meeting topic and put it back together at the next meeting. The more you know about an engine you more confident you will be when it does have a problem. I let my 13 year old grandson rebuild my last engine after he tore apart the gravely.

Do You own a car built by Durant? Star

There is a world of difference between sending an engine "out" for rebuild, and in doing the work yourself. Most rebuild shops have forgotten how to work on these old engines, and just want to R & R (rip out and replace)
I agree that these engines are simple, and you can do most of the work with simple hand tools. Just take plenty of pictures.
I had one engine ruined because the crankshaft was turned incorrectly. The distances from the centreline of the crank to the top of the block were way different on each cylinder. Finally got it corrected and now it runs great. You have to be careful who you let do the machine work. You can even do your own balancing on everything that spins if you are careful.

Do You own a car built by Durant? Frontenac

Hi Dennis, I had the reverse situation. I had an engine shipped from the asa to the uk in pieces.I was told all that was needed was assembly.I am no expert but with a bit of help from Jan , Frank and others I got it up and running. They are not as hard as you might think to work on and with a few basic skills and tools its amazeing how much you can actualy do yourself.Peace of mind is a great friend and I feel more the better for haveing seen inside the motor that is pushing me along
Regards Barry

The Durant Motors Automobile Club