Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
D 65 Battery location

Hi Everyone.
I have a question about the battery location in my D65 4 door sedan. Every year I install and remove my battery. I find it very hard to get under the car remove the cables and than the battery.
Was there a provision in the floor board to remove the battey without the painful experiance that I have?

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1928 d 65

Re: D 65 Battery location

IN EVERY DURANT I HAVE OWNED...(6-14, 70, 63) THE FLOORBOARDS PULL UP TO EXPOSE THE BATTERY AND CABLE CONNECTIONS. THE HORIZONTAL BOARDS, NOT THE TOE BOARD PART.....REGARDS, GARY K

Do You own a car built by Durant? 2 - 1929 DURANTS

Thanks Gary
Could you tell me what finish material should be used on the floor My car has a rubber mat that is fastened to the floor boards and I would have to remove this rubber. From your discription I will change this but I'm not sure what should lay on top.
Lawrence

Lawrence
The Model 65 had carpet on the floor I believe. For that model year the 65 and the model 75 were the middle and upper class of the Durant line.

hi,
rubber sounds familiar but i do not recall...listen to the others...gary k

Thanks for the info Mike now for my next question. What type of carpet? Is it still availible? Color?
Sorry to bother you but I have looked at every car I find on the web and can't make out the details
Thx lawrence

According to the sales information that I have on the Model 65 it does not list carpet colors, but it appears to be a matching color to the interior material. The model 65 advetised a two-tone interior color. I have the names of the outside colors for 1928 if you need them. wool would be the only appropriate type since nylon or other materials had not been developed yet. Is your car an original outside color or other color? A local automobile upholsterer could provide a source for the carpet or you could order some from Lebarron-Bonney or Hirsh Automotive, which you can find by doing an internet search. There is also a source for interiors for Durants listed in the back of the Partner magazine. I haven't talked to them, but someone in the club has used them before.

Do You own a car built by Durant? Almost

I have never found any carpet in any of these Durant or Star cars I have restored! Only rubber. BTW all our cars came with a factory battery wood lid over the battery. You don't have to tear all the floor boards up. There is some small steel plates hanging out onder the floor board area to drop the lid onto. Happy motoring. Lance

Hi Lawrence,
I am not sure about the later D-65 but the earlier A-22 came with carpet in both open and closed cars (front and rear), The parts book features a good illistration on how the carpet was cut and bound it also has a sewn in rubber wear pad for the drivers feet...You might check in a later parts book and see if it lists a Carpet or Matt. I used a medium tone Bashe Square Weave carpet from Bill Hirsch and used a binder on the edges ...http://www.hirschauto.com/ You can look at there online catalogue...I think Square Weave was widly used during this era....Bill

Hi All..........

The parts book that I reproduced for the Model M M-2 M-4 and 40 four cylinder models and the Model R 55 and 60 six cylinder shows that the open cars came with rubber mats but the closed cars including the carriolet had the option of carpeting or rubber mats. So some came with carpet or rubber floor covering .

Frank ---

Do You own a car built by Durant? a dozen Durants & Stars

Hi Fellows
What a great response to my question.I am taking everything into concideration.
And Mike I would appreciate the ouside colors. A picture of my car is posted in the photo section. You can see it there and let me know if the color is right for the year. I don't beleive it is. Also don't be fooled by the picture as the paint is far from good, however good from far.I have plans to paint it just as soon as I finish another project.

The Durant Motors Automobile Club