Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
A REQUEST FOR HELP FROM ALL MEMBERS

dear durantonians,
there is a plan afloat, under the auspices of our new President, Rick Botti, to gather pictures of the characteristic parts of each model of our cars - to create a Durant-Star-Flint-Frontenac and Rugby identification guide.. in your work on your cars and in your travels, please begin to take pictures of door handles, crank covers, hubcaps, radiator caps and mascots, hood louvers, spare tire mounts, gas tanks, engine side views and transmissions and rears when out of the cars, as well as any other identifying items such as dash panels, wire and wood wheels unmounted (front & rear views) and special trim pieces. Please note the MAKE - MODEL NUMBER AND YEAR of the vehicle on the back of the picture. This will be a "CLUB PROJECT" for all to share...NOT A PERSONAL OR PRIVATE PRODUCTION FOR PERSONAL GAIN.
PLEASE BEGIN TO SAVE STUFF NOW. YOU CAN E-MAIL PICTURES TO MY E-MAIL ADDRESS...FROGGYSROD@COMCAST.NET
OR SEND REAL PICTURES TP MY MAILING ADDRESS.
....GARY KAUFFMAN
3106 PLYMOUTH ROCK ROAD
PLYMOUTH MEETING, PENNA. 19462

p>s:IN CASE YOU WONDER MY EMAIL NAME "froggysrod" COMES FROM THE YARDSTICK OR "ROD" USED TO INTIMIDATE MY STUDENTS DURING 40 YEARS OF BIOLOGY" TEACHING...
USED AS A GOOD NATURED EDUCATIONAL MOTIVATION METHOD
AND INDISPENSIBLE TEACHING TOOL IN AN INNER-CITY HIGH SCHOOL....NOT THE ANATOMICAL ITEM OF SAME NAME

Do You own a car built by Durant? 2 - 1929 DURANTS

Re: A REQUEST FOR HELP FROM ALL MEMBERS

P.S.....IT WOULD HEL[P IF SOME ITEMS HAD MEASUREMENTS OF OBVIOUS VALUE...LENGTH, WIDTH , HEIGHT, DEPTH OR THICKNESS....AND SUCH....THANX GARY K

Gary

1. If you can, be specific as to what types of items need dimensions or measurements.

2. When taking photos, if you use post-its in the photo to identify the part or accessory, that would help. (ie passenger door handle, 1929 Durant 6-63). Use a bold magic marker so that the words are visible. This way the identification is in the photo, and you dont have to rely on someone writing on the back.

3. With digital cameras you can take lots of photos for basically no cost. Photos can be of various angles, telephoto, macro, etc. Just make a CD with the photos that you have taken.

just some thoughts and suggestions.

charlie

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yes

hello charlie,
good suggestions...i will incorporate them into the directions...gary

MEMBERS...PLEASE READ CHARLES'S SUGGESTIONS AND ADD POST-IT STICKEM PAPERS WHEN TAKING PICTURES BUT DO NOT BLOCK VIEW OF ITEMS ...MEASUREMENTS SHOULD BE USED ON HUBCAPS, DOOR HANDLES AND SIMILAR ITEMS. I WILL MAKE A LIST OF WHATELSE AND POST IT IN THE NEXT FEW DAYS....GARY

Gary... I would be more than happy to gather or pass along any info that I have for the Flints. For the last 2 years, any time I would dissassemble or sort parts for my car... I would lay them out on a piece of white paper and write(in red marker)dimensions, modle or any other distinquishing details that would make it easier to identify parts while crusing the meets. I took pictures, then laminated them and put them in a "Parts notebook", great to carry with you. There are so many items that are different from modle to modle.... this will be a large undertaking, but well worth it! I will send a couple of pics to your e-mail and you can see if this is what you and Rick have in mind.... and of coarse...always open for any suggestions! I will also bring my note book with me to the Canadian meet in September! See you all there!!!

Do You own a car built by Durant? 80 modle Flint

how do feel aboout us Aussies sending you photos of our cars and how we got around some repairs

Do You own a car built by Durant? 60TOURER

1. Durants are Durants (or Rugbys, Flints, Stars, etc) the country in which it is currently garaged should have no bearing on participation in this activity. We welcome any and all that want to help.

2. Some help in the placement of post its or other similar item to idenify the vehicle parts. If you have a hub cap that you do not want to block the view of the item, you can put the post it on a piece of string and hang it from the hub cap or any other item for that matter so that it clears the bottom of the object.

I do a lot of forensic architectural photography and I have developed a lot of tricks that help me to identify what is being photographed.

3. If you are photographing the hub cap, take a photo of the entire wheel and tire first, and work your way down to the hub cap.

Charlie

hello all members
charles speaks for the club...we are all a part of the club and we all are invited to participate....even the first club ..durant-star owners club had members in n.s.wales, australia, rhodesia, and everywhere durants got sold...so measure away and if you cannot send pics, draw the part...it all helps....regards gary k

p.s. i am making a list of instructions/suggestions on how to do it and what to measure, etc. I will put it out in about a week

Gary....
Ray Keto who won the AACA Presidents Cup in 1966 for his award winning 1923 Durant Sports Touring sent me two different CD's on pictures he made during his restoration. He conducted a seminar on authenticity at one of the Hershey Meets in the 1960's. I passed the CD's on to Frank Witkowski and he just emailed me that he would forward a copy to you for your information. I don't think you will find a more comprehensive wealth of data than he has compiled. He was definetly a tickler on authenticity. Much success on a most needed project.

Yates

Gary,

I am glad the Club is starting a project such as this. It should have been done yers ago. Providing authenic restoration information is what a marque Club shoud be about.

I am no longer a member but I still have my 1927 Star Model M that won a First Place AACA Grand National in 1986. It is an authentic restoration including the body and engine color. That was 20 years ago and after driving on several week long tours and other tours during that time,things aren't quite as shiny as they once were. I will take pictures with my digital camera and send them to you plus I have other information that might be helpful.

I am always ready to help anyone that is interested in an authenic restoration.

Bob Porter

ATTENTION ALL MEMBERS
WE ARE DELIGHTED WITH THE RESPONSES AND ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS ABOUT THE CLUB I.D. GUIDE PROJECT.
EVERYONE IS INVITED TO CONTRIBUTE....OLD MEMBERS, NEW MEMBERS, NON-MEMBERS ....AND YOU WILL BE INCLUDED IN THE FINAL PRODUCT RELEASE....HOWEVER WE USE IT....IT WILL HOPEFULLY BE AN ONGOING PROJECT ....
HERE IS THE INFO YOU NEED:
GARY KAUFFMAN
3106 PLYMOUTH ROCK RD..........FOR HARD COPIED INFO
PLYMOUTH MEETING, PA. 19462

FROGGYSROD@COMCAST.NET .....FOR DIGITAL/ PC INFORMATION AND COPIES

THE GUIDE SHEET OF SUGGESTUINS FOR WHAT AND HOW TO MEASURE WILL BE FINISHED SOON ....

THANKS TO ALL....GARY K

Gary,
This is a great idea. Can I suggest that you include the car's serial number, or at least the factory the car was built at, in the info you collect for each part? That would help account for variations in construction between factories, if any. As well it would more accurately date the part within the production of the car.

Terry

Where Are You From? www.durantcars.com

THESE SUGGESTIONS ARE ALL EXCELLENT AND I AM LISTENING AND LISTING EVERY IDEA TO CONSIDER.
THE DIRECTIONS ARE FORMING AND SHOULD BE READY SHORTLY....I WILL ASK RICK TO PUT THEM ON THE TECH PAGE OR SOME SIMILAR VENUE AS SOON AS DONE. THANX FOR ALL THE INPUT....GARY K

Gary

another suggestion....some of our members do not have computers and therefore are not reading this information.

once you have complied the information for posting on the website, can you prepare the same information for inclusion in the next issue of the Durant Partner for those the entire membership?

also, the last suggestion about the make model factory etc., a photo of the metal plate on the fire wall, as well as a photo of the engine number would also be helpful.

charlie

Are you including DeVaux in your photo inventory? I've been sending Gary Yelle pictures of my partially disassembled '31, and can forward these on to you. And happy to take some detail closeups for this worthy project.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1931 DeVaux

hello
yes....durant..star..flint...frontenac...rugby...dort ...and locomobile are all our cars...we will favor durant and star to start and follow thru with the others as soon as possible....gary

One item no one seems to have mentioned: include casting numbers, casting dates and symbols that you find on the parts. I recently recorded all the casting numbers and dates on a 1931 Durant 614 3 speed transmission that I picked up. It had numbers on the case, the front cover, the side cover and the back cover. So many old parts look the same and measure the same, but casting numbers can make the difference in identifying an item if it has casting numbers.

I also put a ruler next to the part I'm photographing. That makes it easy to figure out a dimension later.

I'll send the photos I've taken as I've worked on my 1925 Star Model F.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1925 Star Touring

I need to know the thickness of the front and rear engine mounts and do they have rubber mounts on the gearbox

Where Are You From? Australia

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1929 D60 Tourer

DEAR MEMBERS ONE AND ALL, AFTER THE TIME PASSED, I HAVE REC'D SEVERAL BUT RELATIVELY FEW RESPONSES TO THE REQUEST FOR PARTS PICTURES AND MEASUREMENTS..
WITH MODEL AND MAKE NAMES ATTACHED.......

TODAY, I HAVE STARTED GOING THRU MY BOOKS FOR ALL PARTS PICTURES I HAVE GOTTEN....AND WILL BEGIN TO ORGANIZE ALL OF THE SEVERAL PICTURES OF PARTS I GOT EMAILED. PLEASE REREAD THIS ENTIRE COLUMN FOR IDEAS ABOUT WHAT YOU CAN DO TO CONTRIBUTE. THEY ARE ALL LISTED IN THE MEMBERS RESPONSES ABOVE AND ARE GOOD USEFUL THINGS. ALSO WHATEVER "YOU" THINK WILL HELP WILL BE INCLUDED IN THE FINAL PRODUCTS.

EMAIL MAY BE BEST TO ATTACH PICTURES TO....SEND TO:

FROGGYSROD @ COMCAST.NET

OR POSTAL MAIL TO: GARY KAUFFMAN
3106 PLYMOUTH ROCK ROAD
PLYMOUTH MEETING, PA. 19462-7114

THANX FOR YOU HELP AND EFFORTS ....REGARDS, GARY K

SEE YOU IN DAYTON, OHIO....YOU CAN BRING THINGS TO ME THERE ALSO.

Where Are You From? pa.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1925 star roadster, 1929 model 70 durant coupe, 1931 durant 6-14 sedan

hello everyone
is this going to include the devaux,or just durant cars

Where Are You From? so california

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1931 devaux

hello devaux members....
i will endeaver to include all car makes we cover.
if the info and pics come in, they will be included in the final product.....regards, gary

p.s. try to relate any parts to related makes as you know will interchange.... thanx, g.k.

Where Are You From? pa.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1925 star roadster, 1929 model 70 durant coupe, 1931 durant 6-14 sedan

Where Are You From? pa.

lets keep this team effort in everyones mind....regards, gary

Where Are You From? pa.

I am looking for wheel studs for wire wheels left hand thread 10 left 10 right I have finally found the wires and the hubs but need studs 1929 D60

Where Are You From? Australia

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1929 D60 tourer

lance's ideas are accurrate and the prices are realistic....check to model a stuff and early chevys.....gary

Where Are You From? penna

The Durant Motors Automobile Club