Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Bateries

What are the specs for a good battery for my 1930 Model 6-14 coupe? Is there a specific battery that would be best for this car ? Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks gang
Ken

Re: Bateries

Hi Ken, do yourself a favor, purchase one or two Optima 6 volt batteries. They have 800 amps cold cranking capacity. and you can mount two side by side in your battery box for a total of 1600 cranking amps.

Thank you Bruce- I will see if I can get that type of battery here --if not I am sure I will find something to equal it --
Thanks for answering
Ken

Hi Ken,

I bought a battery for my 6-14 at Walmart. They have them for industrial/agricultural applications. Apparently the materials are a bit thicker to sustain more vibration but otherwise they are identical to car batteries. 575 cranking amps is more than sufficient to spin the 22A to a start and at a cost of $40 CDN who can complain...

Stephan

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yes, 1931 Durant 614

Hi folks, like Stephan, I bought a 6 volt battery from Walmart, I believe it's by Exide.

I adjusted the generator output (third-brush generator) to produce approx 12 amps at operating rpm. This drops to around 4 amps if the headlights are on.

If the car has been sitting for a while, I put a "Battery Tender" type of charger on the day before I'm going to use the car. The battery has never let me down.

RonJ ...

Where Are You From? www.ronjpics.com/durantstuff.htm

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1930 4-07

The Durant Motors Automobile Club