Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
A-22 Transmission

I am contiplating installing a later model transmission in my A-22 touring, the A-22 transmission is remote mounted as I understand the model 40s and 60s are also crossmember mounted...I have taken the best parts from two A-22 transmissions installed new bearings and bushings and the transmission is still extreamly noisy, I am concerned that this transmission will leave me walking in the near future...Any experiences, thoughts, or concerns in regards to this changeover? Thanks, Bill

Re: A-22 Transmission

Bill. The only 4 speed transmissions that Durant Motors had were bolted right on a conventional bell housing and they were not a overdrive type. We have all kinds of the common "midship" transmissions up there at Mikes place. The Star midship is exactly the same Bill. With all your talent and engineering ability you really should just go buy like a 90's Chevy S-10 V-8 pickup 5 speed w/ over drive and float it in there. It has a long throw shift lever with the stock shifter top so you need to replace that WITH A "B&M" HOT ROD TOP AND CUT THE FAT SHORT LEVER OFF AND JUST WELD THE dURANT LEVER ONTO IT. yOU NEED TO BUY A USED CHEVY DRIVE AND MAKE A ADAPTER FOR THE DURANT DIFFERENTIAL YOKE. wE DID THAT WITH THE 30 COUPE. Works great. Lance Haynes

Bill, I think I have one of the 40-60 transmissions out in the barn. It's yours for the shipping. Keep your car as original as possible.

Dave

Bill:
Jeff Cromeens used a 1923 transmission in his speedster and it was quiet and shifted easily. Your gears must be plumb worn out, if you have replaced bushings, bearings etc.
We haven't heard our car run so don't know how the transmission or differential will sound. We have replaced all bushings and bearings.
I would think it would be quite a simple matter to replace your transmission with a 1928 or 29 model 40 transmission.
Any chance you will be able to make the annual meeting in September?

Gord.

Do You own a car built by Durant? Frontenac built by successor of Durant, Dominion Motors of Canada

In regard to our remote mounted Transmissions, Mike Larsen looked at his Interchange Catalogue and found that it lists all of our A-22s, all of our 28s and 29s, and all of our Star Transmission's as being interchangable....Appreciate your help,advice and most generious offers...My Back and Wrist is on the mend from falling off a ladder, when I can I will make a day trip down to see Mike Larsen and what he has in the way of another Transmission. Thanks much, Bill

Welp, I went down and picked up a later model Transmission from Mike, the A-22 has a different case and mounts different than the later model, also no provision for the hand brake lever, so not a good option for installing in an A-22...However, I found that the later gears and shafts are the same as the A-22 with the exception of a couple of improvements...The sliding gears have an approximate 20% longer spline and there is a different design on the main drive gear allowing a deeper index on High gear...I did have to machine the I.D. of the Speedometer drive gear of the A-22 as well as shorten the rear flange a tad bit to use the later splined shaft...Anyway, I am back on the road with later gears an my original case...I am thinking that with just 35 HP and two wheel brakes the standard 3 speed is all that I need...Now, if I can just keep from falling asleep at the wheel with this Quiet transmission...More later, Bill

Bill. Glad we could help. We have more than one of those transmission's on hand. Course if someone else needed one for our real early cars you would have to help them. How were you able to do any cutting on those splines or gears? We found them extremely hard. We want to bevel the third gear splines on a 1930 Durant transmission and nothing will cut! What’s your secret? Diamond stone? Help. Later Lance

Do You own a car built by Durant? only 5 right now

Lance, as you mentioned the gears and shafts are as hard as glass, everything is case hardned...In machining the I.D. on the Speedometer drive gear I put it in the lathe and first ground the case hardning off the inside with a 1/4" die grinder and a regular stone clamped in the tool post, after which it machined with a carbide bit...The speedometer drive sleeve is a little thiner than I would like but think it will be fine...My old splined shaft had about .012 wear on the splines, if I could have used my old splined shaft no machining would have been required...I should also mention that I used a 3/8 X 2"NF grade 8 stud to fasten the front U joint...Not a difficult conversion...Bill

The Durant Motors Automobile Club