Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
1928 durant 2dr coupe steering wheel

Hi guys I need your help. My steering wheel seems to be very loose.I see no screws holding the wheel or horn button or button cover on.Can any you tell me how to remove the cover to tighten the wheel.THANKS IN ADVANCE [THE WOLFMAN].

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1928 Rugby Model X and 1928 Durant 2dr coupe

Re: 1928 durant 2dr coupe steering wheel

Just to let you all know.I got the steering wheel tighten.On the bottom of the column in the engine compartment disconnect the wire for the horn 6 to 8 inchs from the end of the column then take off the linkage to the vaccum advance lever.This is a very tight fit to the splash pan.Then remove the throttle linkage to the carb.Next loosen the next bracket on the lower column.Be very careful not to bend the lower tube.Ok you are now ready to apply upward pressure on the vaccumn lever,horn button cover with a twisting motion.The centre tube will then slide up exposing the steering wheel nut.If you need to take the levers apart there are two screws holding them in place.Be carfull to make note of the position of the spacers.This sounds complicated but actually very simple once you have done it.Approximately half an hour. P.S. maybe Rick could post this on the tech page for further members.THANKS AGAIN [THE WOLFMAN].

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1928 Rugby Model X and 1928 Durant 2dr coupe

Re: 1928 durant 2dr coupe steering wheel

dave,
thanx for the info...i am going to use it to remove my wheel this week. they are very clear directions.
regards, gary k

The Durant Motors Automobile Club