Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Front Universal

What type of lubrication should I use on the front universal joint (closest to transmission) on my Durant 60. I found a screw hole fitting possibly for filling with some type of lube. There is no seal on the driveshaft. What keeps the lube from coming out?
Thanks.

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yes

Re: Front Universal

Hi Al,

According to the lube chart (see link below) it calls for lubrication every 2500 miles. The factory called for Spicer Universal Joint Grease (yeah, try and find that) or #672 Graphite grease. So I'd think any good modern grease should do the trick. Restoration Supply carries a line of lubricants for antique cars, their number is in the parts and service directory on the Tech Page or on the inside cover of the Durant Partner. I would also recommend their 600w gear oil for use in your transmission.

http://clubs.hemmings.com/clubsites/durant/Tech/lube/lube-chart.htm

Where Are You From? clubs.hemmings.com/clubsites/durant/Tech/lube/lube-chart.htm

Do You own a car built by Durant? 29 Roadster

The Durant Motors Automobile Club